Commuting to School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cgwifey

Commuting to School

Postby cgwifey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Has anyone commuted an hour to school on a daily basis?

Where my husband will be stationed from where I want to go to school (UK) would be about an hour drive 1 way. Is this realistic? Also my mom lives about 15 minutes from the school so in emergencies I could stay there... but ideally I would go home everynight.

bostonlawchick

Re: Commuting to School

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:02 pm

cgwifey wrote:Has anyone commuted an hour to school on a daily basis?

Where my husband will be stationed from where I want to go to school (UK) would be about an hour drive 1 way. Is this realistic? Also my mom lives about 15 minutes from the school so in emergencies I could stay there... but ideally I would go home everynight.

With traffic, I commute about an hour each way every day. I'm not going to say it's easy. There are definite pros and cons. It's cheaper for us, and my husband kept his job rather than looking for a new one. It's tougher to go out with people that live closer to campus. I get to school super early to beat traffic, which allows me to get most of my reading done before class and head straight home after classes to spend time with my husband. I feel like it's been working out for us, but it is certainly not ideal. We'll see how that changes when the weather starts getting worse.

Good luck!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:13 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
cgwifey wrote:Has anyone commuted an hour to school on a daily basis?

With traffic, I commute about an hour each way every day. I'm not going to say it's easy. There are definite pros and cons. It's cheaper for us, and my husband kept his job rather than looking for a new one. It's tougher to go out with people that live closer to campus. I get to school super early to beat traffic, which allows me to get most of my reading done before class and head straight home after classes to spend time with my husband. I feel like it's been working out for us, but it is certainly not ideal. We'll see how that changes when the weather starts getting worse.

Good luck!

I commute a little over an hour each way into Chicago, largely by train so it's not all unproductive time (at least when I make myself work on the train). We did it b/c we wanted more space than we could afford in the city (married + 1 year old). It has it's ups and downs. I find it somewhat socially alienating...it's nearly impossible to make it to after hours events after I've left school. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'd do it again.

cgwifey

Postby cgwifey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks these help! You both expressed things I am worried about.. but it is good to know that some people do it!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:01 pm

I commute about an hour and fifteen mintutes by car each way to school. I will echo the sentiments of those who have posted already - it is possible but I think I would encourgae you to consider all of the alternatives before you chose to do it. I feel like it takes a huge chunck of time out of my day that could be used either as family time (I am married and have a 12 year old and a two month old baby) or as study time. It also takes some careful plannin - I have to make sure I have all of the books and materials I need when I go home at night because a trip back in to school is not possible. I also agree that I haven't been able to attend many social events because they would require another trip back into campus.

TL,DR: Its possible but I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Return to “Law School FAQ”