Which is more significant WE? Teach for America or Big 4

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tourist

Which is more significant WE? Teach for America or Big 4

Postby tourist » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:31 pm

I am reposting this topic from the "Legal Employment" board. I essentially got the answer to my question before the topic was locked, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Please let me make a disclaimer before I go any further. I am NOT making a decision based purely on future employment prospects, I am just musing which would be optimal for employment after law school.

To give some background on myself, I am an accounting & finance major at a flagship state university in the Northeast. I decided about a year ago that I was interested practicing corporate law and attending law school, but I wanted to work first before entering. I still have yet to take the LSAT.

I currently have two offers, TFA in a small city and a return offer from a summer internship in audit from a Big 4 in NYC. Which would be more helpful and more relevant to corporate law? If I work at a Big 4 I intend to work for two years and obtain a CPA.
Last edited by tourist on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney

Re: Which is more significant WE? Teach for America or Big 4

Postby duckmoney » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 pm

They're both great opportunities, but neither would give you much of a boost in admissions simply because there are so many people who have done those things.

The big 4 gig would probably make you more attractive in NYC corporate law than TFA would, and both would make you more attractive than someone straight out of undergrad, but none of that will be more important than the caliber of school you attend.

Do what would make you happier for 2 years and kill the LSAT is TCR.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm

tourist wrote:I am reposting this topic from the "Legal Employment" board. I essentially got the answer to my question before the topic was locked, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Please let me make a disclaimer before I go any further. I am NOT making a decision based purely on future employment prospects, I am just musing which would be optimal for employment after law school.

To give some background on myself, I am an accounting & finance major at a flagship state university in the Northeast. I decided about a year ago that I was interested practicing corporate law and attending law school, but I wanted to work first before entering. I still have yet to take the LSAT.

I currently have two offers, TFA in a small city and a return offer from a summer internship from a Big 4 in NYC. Which would be more helpful and more relevant to corporate law? If I work at a Big 4 I intend to work for two years and obtain a CPA.

This does come off as a joke post - isn't the obvious answer Big 4? Maybe I'm missing something.

Dustin.

Postby Dustin. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:12 am

Big 4 without a shadow of a doubt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:13 am

Dustin. wrote:Big 4 without a shadow of a doubt.

Easily. Would be a much, much better sell at OCI.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

+1

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:28 pm

+1

This is TCR.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Would you be doing audit, transaction services, corporate, risk management, consulting...?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Big law corporate departments love folks who can follow the math.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Big 4.

Idiotic question.

Return to “Law School FAQ”