How do we spread the TLS Gospel?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:36 am

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snailio

Re: How do we spread the TLS Gospel?

Postby snailio » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:59 am

I just tell everyone TLS is like pron for wanna be lawyers and leave it at that....short, sweet, works!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am

TrojanHopeful wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:How many posts do I have to make to be referred to as "senior?" I'm working on it.

Not number. Lulzworthiness.

To do list:

1) Get into law school

2) Make enough lulzworthy posts so I don't get referred to as "junior" on TLS.

Or you could just go the fuck away.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 am

nelaw2010 wrote:I think your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, TLS can be like giving books to people that can't read.

I'm in law school now, and I'm amazed at how many people showed up with no idea about supplements, GTM, LEEWS, or outlining. I had a classmate tell me that I shouldn't start outlining until November.

I tell them about TLS. I tell them to check out posts from: Scribe, Arrow, Xeoh85, JayCutlersCombover. You know what they do? They roll their eyes at me. They look at me as if saying, "how do you know?"

I don't. That's why I'm sending you to a place where people who do know have written extensively about these subjects.

Here is how I see it - Most people know how to lead better lives, yet most don't. The amount of information that is readily available to people living in developed countries is unprecedented in human history. Yet the most googled topics as of this morning are: Terrell Owens, Andy Rooney, Jenna Lyons, and Tony Romo. Interestingly, one of the top search topics is "student loan forgiveness," (I wonder how many of those are law school grads - how ironic).

If you're going to preach the gospel, expect a low conversion rate. Think of it like a school teacher. If you can just reach one student, it will have all been worth it!

Calm the fuck down, dude. I've been on TLS since 2008 under one name or another, I'm already done with law school, and I still have no idea what the fuck GTM or LEEWS is.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm

What about if someone is just NOT that smart, is probably not going to get out of the 150s for the LSAT, and their GPA is already in the low 3s. Do you tell them "Hey, listen New York Law School is not a good idea?"

It's not simply about going to law SCHOOL, it's about being a LAWYER. A lot of people have always wanted to be lawyers and have a legitimate desire to enter the legal profession. I'm not sure if we have the right to tell them that they should change their life goals just because the economy is bad. The issue is not as much where they will go to law school for the next three years, but who they will be 20-30 years down the line.

The information is out there, if they can't find it--don't risk making yourself come off as an asshole. Telling someone to put their life's dreams on hold is easier said than done.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't really fault people for trusting the school websites with employment stats. I don't fault people for trusting the dean of your school who spouts similarly suspect things at orientation.

In general, if I'm talking to someone who has come to me for advice on law school, I'll be frank. I'll tell them about the people I know or know of at my law school that struck out and who are still searching for jobs. (This usually scares them). If they haven't taken the LSAT yet, I'll go further in discussing at what level I just wouldn't go, particularly without money. But if someone is convinced, then I won't say anything, because I think it's possible it would just drive them to dig their heels more firmly into the ground.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:46 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I don't really fault people for trusting the school websites with employment stats. I don't fault people for trusting the dean of your school who spouts similarly suspect things at orientation.

In general, if I'm talking to someone who has come to me for advice on law school, I'll be frank. I'll tell them about the people I know or know of at my law school that struck out and who are still searching for jobs. (This usually scares them). If they haven't taken the LSAT yet, I'll go further in discussing at what level I just wouldn't go, particularly without money. But if someone is convinced, then I won't say anything, because I think it's possible it would just drive them to dig their heels more firmly into the ground.

TITCR.

As to people I don't know--I think it's nice to at least try and help others, so I'll tell them straight up (unless it would be awkward to bring it up, ie if theyve already finished their cycle or if they're about to start school at a TTT). I mean, when it comes down to it, I'll never see these people again, so who cares if they think I'm a douche for trying to help them out? I'll know my intentions were good, and maybe just out of curiosity they'll visit the website and learn something.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:I think your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, TLS can be like giving books to people that can't read.

I'm in law school now, and I'm amazed at how many people showed up with no idea about supplements, GTM, LEEWS, or outlining. I had a classmate tell me that I shouldn't start outlining until November.

I tell them about TLS. I tell them to check out posts from: Scribe, Arrow, Xeoh85, JayCutlersCombover. You know what they do? They roll their eyes at me. They look at me as if saying, "how do you know?"

I don't. That's why I'm sending you to a place where people who do know have written extensively about these subjects.

Here is how I see it - Most people know how to lead better lives, yet most don't. The amount of information that is readily available to people living in developed countries is unprecedented in human history. Yet the most googled topics as of this morning are: Terrell Owens, Andy Rooney, Jenna Lyons, and Tony Romo. Interestingly, one of the top search topics is "student loan forgiveness," (I wonder how many of those are law school grads - how ironic).

If you're going to preach the gospel, expect a low conversion rate. Think of it like a school teacher. If you can just reach one student, it will have all been worth it!

Calm the fuck down, dude. I've been on TLS since 2008 under one name or another, I'm already done with law school, and I still have no idea what the fuck GTM or LEEWS is.

LOL!!!!

GTM: Getting to Maybe

LEEWS: Law Essay Exam Writing System

Tools that I found helpful. Highly recommended by TLS LEGENDS!

Return to “Law School FAQ”