Any older Michigan students-late 20's, early 30's out there? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ahnhub

Silver

Any older Michigan students-late 20's, early 30's out there?

Post by ahnhub » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:23 am

Hi. I'm applying to Michigan for the 2012 year. I was looking to get in touch with a Michigan law student who matriculated around age 28-35 (I will be 31 when I matriculate). Want to know what the vibe is with students that age, whether you met others of a similar background, how well you get along with younger students, whether you feel you fit "in" or not, how your approach with the Career Office might have differed, etc...

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

keg411

Platinum

Re: Any older Michigan students-late 20's, early 30's out there?

Post by keg411 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:34 pm

ahnhub wrote:Hi. I'm applying to Michigan for the 2012 year. I was looking to get in touch with a Michigan law student who matriculated around age 28-35 (I will be 31 when I matriculate). Want to know what the vibe is with students that age, whether you met others of a similar background, how well you get along with younger students, whether you feel you fit "in" or not, how your approach with the Career Office might have differed, etc...

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
I'm at Michigan, and I'll also be 31 when I graduate. I'm a transfer, but I find I get along fine with my classmates and my friends range in age from 23-ish to people my age, and fitting in is also not an issue do to age (there is a variety of older and younger students even within the transfer class). If anything I was probably overconfident about my WE/age doing OCI (though some of it may have had to do with being an older female as opposed to an older male), but it all ended up okay and I got BigLaw. (I do think my age, or at least general job paranoia, did help me be more proactive when things weren't working out initially).

I will say that being in a college town is definitely "different" and there are sort of balances and trade-offs you have to make -- mostly in terms of choosing where to live. (Being away from the undergrads and living in nicer conditions vs. living close to school).

Return to “Ask a Law Student”