Tattoos in Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kess

Re: Tattoos in Law School

Postby Kess » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:49 pm

I don't have much to add to this conversation, but from my experience, I agree with everything said.

I am from NYC and go to a very liberal college which might not be representative of others. I also work at a medium sized law firm and I have seen that some of the partners have tattoos. In the summer, we have a lax dress code and the attorneys often wear khakis and golf shirts. I have seen substantial tattoos and obviously the attorneys themselves weren't too concerned.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:28 pm

I have them. They are visible in class w/short sleeves. No one gives a shit, no one says a word.
I fully expect to keep them under wraps during interviews and at work, that's what I did in my prior career.
Relax.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Is it on your face or on your back? If they don't see it it shouldn't be too big a deal (obviously)

Also maybe something like a marines tattoo or something is better than your girlfriend's name or a prison tattoo (also obviously)

I have a Jesus-headed dragon.

This isn't constructive, but that is pretty sweet.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:22 pm

grading is anonymous, and i doubt people on this intellectual level will assess your worth as a lawyer based on getting a stupid painting done. they might be more reluctant to let you date their daughter, though.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:50 am

Kess wrote:I don't have much to add to this conversation, but from my experience, I agree with everything said.

I am from NYC and go to a very liberal college which might not be representative of others. I also work at a medium sized law firm and I have seen that some of the partners have tattoos. In the summer, we have a lax dress code and the attorneys often wear khakis and golf shirts. I have seen substantial tattoos and obviously the attorneys themselves weren't too concerned.

"Midlaw?" According to some posters here, you don't exist. Way to beat the odds!
But seriously, thanks for the insight. It's good to know a less conservative side of the industry exists.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:35 am

NiccoloA wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:
I have a Jesus-headed dragon.

This isn't constructive, but that is pretty sweet.

+1.

Kess

Postby Kess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
Kess wrote:I don't have much to add to this conversation, but from my experience, I agree with everything said.

"Midlaw?" According to some posters here, you don't exist. Way to beat the odds!
But seriously, thanks for the insight. It's good to know a less conservative side of the industry exists.

Well I don't know, maybe it would be considered a small firm by some. But in any event, it may be that practically all the attorneys are under 50 and most of the supporting staff are under 35, so they don't mind fostering a "youthful environment." I don't know.... I personally don't have any tattoos or piercings, I am a bad new yorker =( lol

Return to “Law School FAQ”