Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     Forum Archives     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tattoos in Law School
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 pm 

First of all, I did a search of old threads, and whenever this topic comes up, people only seem to post meaningless semi-sarcastic digs.

SO, I'm going to ask the questions in a slightly different way, and hope that result is different. I'd like to hear from some current law students (especially those with tattoos):

From your experience, how do law professors and faculty tend to treat students with tattoos? Are many professors older and more traditional these days, or are they a little younger and thus more accepting of things like tattoos? If you have tattoos showing in class, is there a real possibility it could affect employment or other career opportunities? Do other students tend to treat you differently? I have many tattoos, and it would be a huge pain in the ass to have them covered up all the time, but if I should, I will. I'm used to the sort of prejudice that people can have against tattooed people, but that's gone down a lot since I first started getting them 12 years ago. This is probably because many more people are heavily tattooed these days. Thus, these questions merit serious consideration.

-I understand answers to this question can vary by school/geographical region. Please post YOUR experience at YOUR school.

-I understand some people would advise against tattoos. I already have them, so too late.

- I already read that senior partners love teardrop tattoos. Haha. Please post something helpful.

Post subject: Re: Tattoos in Law School
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 pm 

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
First of all, I did a search of old threads, and whenever this topic comes up, people only seem to post meaningless semi-sarcastic digs.

SO, I'm going to ask the questions in a slightly different way, and hope that result is different. I'd like to hear from some current law students (especially those with tattoos):

From your experience, how do law professors and faculty tend to treat students with tattoos? Are many professors older and more traditional these days, or are they a little younger and thus more accepting of things like tattoos? If you have tattoos showing in class, is there a real possibility it could affect employment or other career opportunities? Do other students tend to treat you differently? I have many tattoos, and it would be a huge pain in the ass to have them covered up all the time, but if I should, I will. I'm used to the sort of prejudice that people can have against tattooed people, but that's gone down a lot since I first started getting them 12 years ago. This is probably because many more people are heavily tattooed these days. Thus, these questions merit serious consideration.

-I understand answers to this question can vary by school/geographical region. Please post YOUR experience at YOUR school.

-I understand some people would advise against tattoos. I already have them, so too late.

- I already read that senior partners love teardrop tattoos. Haha. Please post something helpful.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter at all at my school. The only time I could think it would be a factor would be at OCI or perhaps a networking event with a firm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:57 pm 

Is it on your face or on your back? If they don't see it it shouldn't be too big a deal (obviously)

Also maybe something like a marines tattoo or something is better than your girlfriend's name or a prison tattoo (also obviously)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 pm 

? you probably care more than the people that will see them. I don't think most people will put you in a category and not let you leave that perception just because of your tattoos. You will be wearing long sleeves at work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 pm 

The couple of people I know at my LS who have tattoos have ones that are either normally concealed or can be concealed. And when you interview/work, the only parts of your body that will not be covered up (if you're a guy, anyway) are your hands, neck and head. So my question is how much ink do you have for it to be a concern?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm 

I worked with someone who had tatoos all over, but I never notice because he could hide it well.

I have a pretty massive beard going and I do not think my teachers really respect me as much as the good old clean shaved folks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 pm 

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
The couple of people I know at my LS who have tattoos have ones that are either normally concealed or can be concealed. And when you interview/work, the only parts of your body that will not be covered up (if you're a guy, anyway) are your hands, neck and head. So my question is how much ink do you have for it to be a concern?

Well, I have them all over my arms, including my forearms. I can cover them up with long sleeves, but if I stretch, you can see glimpses of the ones on my wrist.

So do these students at your school cover them up in class normally? Do they feel they need to?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:10 pm 

Curious1 wrote:
Is it on your face or on your back? If they don't see it it shouldn't be too big a deal (obviously)

Also maybe something like a marines tattoo or something is better than your girlfriend's name or a prison tattoo (also obviously)

I have an ex girlfriends's name (crossed out), and I have a Jesus-headed dragon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm 

Unless you go to a very conservative law school I would not worry about showing ink in class or around school. Seriously, you should see the shit people wear to class. I once saw a guy taking an exam in a bear suit, it is nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:13 pm 

Angrygeopolitically wrote:
? you probably care more than the people that will see them. I don't think most people will put you in a category and not let you leave that perception just because of your tattoos. You will be wearing long sleeves at work.

True. Yes, I'm aware that most law firms/offices want them concealed. I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is how early should I start dressing like I'm going in for work?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:13 pm 

luthersloan wrote:
Unless you go to a very conservative law school I would not worry about showing ink in class or around school. Seriously, you should see the shit people wear to class. I once saw a guy taking an exam in a bear suit, it is nuts.

Whoa. Was it Halloween?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 pm 

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
luthersloan wrote:

Whoa. Was it Halloween?

Did you go to YLS with this guy?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:18 pm 

I have a forearm tattoo. No one in class/at school cares. Used to be an investment banker, no one cared (but obv hid it for client meetings). I also have a V15 SA position for next year, pretty sure no one will care as long as I keep it covered at work. Unless you have something insane like a Mike Tyson face tattoo, a white supremacist tattoo or a skull with blood dripping off, no one cares.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:26 pm 

weaselology wrote:
I have a forearm tattoo. No one in class/at school cares. Used to be an investment banker, no one cared (but obv hid it for client meetings). I also have a V15 SA position for next year, pretty sure no one will care as long as I keep it covered at work. Unless you have something insane like a Mike Tyson face tattoo, a white supremacist tattoo or a skull with blood dripping off, no one cares.

similar personal experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 pm 

Pretty much what everybody else said...as long as it's not something outrageous, or on your face/neck/fingers, nobody at school will care.
EMPLOYERS will care, so cover them up for work/interviews....but at school, no worries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 pm 

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
I have a Jesus-headed dragon.

WHAT?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:50 pm 
My days of not being taken seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

OP, Alkaline Trio is one of my favorite bands ever so I love your tar. I have nothing substantive to add to this conversation besides to add that I can only see this being a problem at interviews. But you probably already knew that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:57 pm 

If the ones on your wrist are visible when you stretch your arm out, you should be extra careful. is there a way you can get a watch to cover up your wrist tattoo, or is it both of your wrists? I'm thinking about getting a few microdermal piercings on my forearm, but they would be high enough so that if i wore long sleeves no one would be able to see them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 am 

Mal Reynolds wrote:
OP, Alkaline Trio is one of my favorite bands ever so I love your tar. I have nothing substantive to add to this conversation besides to add that I can only see this being a problem at interviews. But you probably already knew that.

Awesome taste in music then, my friend!

Definitely no tattoos in the interviews or on the job.
Thanks for the helpful responses guys. So I'm gathering that it won't matter too much if I go to class looking like Tommy Lee, as long as I look like Ryan Seacrest in my interviews.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 am 

SarahKerrigan wrote:
If the ones on your wrist are visible when you stretch your arm out, you should be extra careful. is there a way you can get a watch to cover up your wrist tattoo, or is it both of your wrists? I'm thinking about getting a few microdermal piercings on my forearm, but they would be high enough so that if i wore long sleeves no one would be able to see them.

I definitely could start doing that. So do employers care if you HAVE tattoos, or are they more concerned that clients would see them? If I work at a firm for 2 years and do a great job, then my boss finds out I have tattoos, is that something he'd fire me for?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 am 

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
SarahKerrigan wrote:

I definitely could start doing that. So do employers care if you HAVE tattoos, or are they more concerned that clients would see them? If I work at a firm for 2 years and do a great job, then my boss finds out I have tattoos, is that something he'd fire me for?

I can't answer your first question because i'm not a law student/lawyer yet, but from non law experience i can say that you can only really get fired for having a tattoo if you get something after you were hired. So if you have a massive tattoo on your face when they hire you, they cant later fire you for that, but if you get hired, then get a tattoo on your face, then you can get fired.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:20 am 

You will have a mix of young and old professors - no way to generalize. I've always hidden mine out of general paranoia / practicing for work, but I don't think there's a great reason. If you're planning to seek a recommendation from a professor at some point, I would maybe cover them up to be extra careful. So maybe if you want to clerk or transfer.

Employers don't care that you HAVE tattoos, but it's also more than fear of a client seeing them; in most firms, they should never show at the office, even if there are no outsiders there. And I would avoid letting anyone from work know about the tattoos at all, at least for a few years. I guess law school draws from some populations more than others, but I have been surprised by how conservative some of my classmates are. Not like politically, but like 'omg tattoos are a big deal' conservative. Different worlds I guess. So if those are the kinds of people you're going to be working with, you should probably keep tattoos under wraps, literally and figuratively, until they already know you're smart and serious and competent. And again, even after people know, they should never show at most offices.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:24 am 

Nobody at school cares. As for internship/SA, cover them at interviews, and until you're comfortable/people like you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 am 

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
You will have a mix of young and old professors - no way to generalize. I've always hidden mine out of general paranoia / practicing for work, but I don't think there's a great reason. If you're planning to seek a recommendation from a professor at some point, I would maybe cover them up to be extra careful. So maybe if you want to clerk or transfer.

Employers don't care that you HAVE tattoos, but it's also more than fear of a client seeing them; in most firms, they should never show at the office, even if there are no outsiders there. And I would avoid letting anyone from work know about the tattoos at all, at least for a few years. I guess law school draws from some populations more than others, but I have been surprised by how conservative some of my classmates are. Not like politically, but like 'omg tattoos are a big deal' conservative. Different worlds I guess. So if those are the kinds of people you're going to be working with, you should probably keep tattoos under wraps, literally and figuratively, until they already know you're smart and serious and competent. And again, even after people know, they should never show at most offices.

So you'd advocate being on the "safe side" eh? And the students you've met are shocked by tattoos? What school did you go to/are you attending?

BTW, is your AV the strange room from David Lynch movies?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:48 am 

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

So you'd advocate being on the "safe side" eh? And the students you've met are shocked by tattoos? What school did you go to/are you attending?

BTW, is your AV the strange room from David Lynch movies?

Not shocked, or mean really, just a little more judgmental/surprised than I'm used to. I go to NYU. I'm just used to the idea that in fact everybody and their mother has a little tattoo somewhere, but some people here are like 'gosh no, I don't know anyone with tattoos,' or 'but you'll be a lawyer!' - like there isn't such a thing as long sleeves. Most people don't know that I have tattoos though, so that's a really small sample size. And I do know a couple people who also have tattoos. But yeah, I'm definitely a safe-side person when it comes to career stuff. ITE and in a conservative career, why risk it.

And yes, it IS the strange room! I think of it as the waiting room. Anybody who recognizes a David Lynch tar is awesome as far as I'm concerned.