Boosting Undergrad GPA?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dm188
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby dm188 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Quick question here:

I am currently in my junior year of undergrad and have been perusing these boards to get some information on applying to LS.

I am a Bio Major currently, with an LSAC computed GPA of 3.88. My School does not offer A+, but does have A- which I recieved several of in my science classes. I can easily earn A's in all of my non-sci classes, but the science classes can be a bit difficult at times.

Because of this I am looking for a way to bump my GPA up as high as possible. My thoughts were to take several easy Comm. College classes this summer, which I am thinking will get factored into my LSAC computed GPA. Am I right to assume this? It seems almost too easy and I figure there must be a flaw in my reasoning or everyone would be doing this.

I would appreciate any and all info on this topic,

Thanks,
Doug

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:36 pm

any college level course taken before your first bachelor's degree is counted, so yes

dm188
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby dm188 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Great, thanks for the help.

Are the comm. college classes weighted any differently, or do the credit hours only matter?

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby law4vus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 pm

dm188 wrote:Great, thanks for the help.

Are the comm. college classes weighted any differently, or do the credit hours only matter?


An A in a 3 credit nuclear physics class is weighted the same as an A in a 3 credit jogging class (if there is such a thing). The system is flawed, but take advantage of it!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 pm

law4vus wrote:
dm188 wrote:Great, thanks for the help.

Are the comm. college classes weighted any differently, or do the credit hours only matter?


An A in a 3 credit nuclear physics class is weighted the same as an A in a 3 credit jogging class (if there is such a thing). The system is flawed, but take advantage of it!

This doesn't totally answer the question. No, community college and regular college classes are given the same weight-per-credit hour

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Why don't you just take easy non-science classes at your current college?

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Save several particularly difficult courses for your 2nd semester of your senior year so they won't appear on your transcript when you apply.

dm188
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby dm188 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I actually am putting physics on the backburnner until senior year to spare my gpa a bit. I am planning on taking some easier classes at my main school, but thought it would be a good idea to throw some easy A's in at the comm college.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boosting Undergrad GPA?

Postby law4vus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:45 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
law4vus wrote:
dm188 wrote:Great, thanks for the help.

Are the comm. college classes weighted any differently, or do the credit hours only matter?


An A in a 3 credit nuclear physics class is weighted the same as an A in a 3 credit jogging class (if there is such a thing). The system is flawed, but take advantage of it!

This doesn't totally answer the question. No, community college and regular college classes are given the same weight-per-credit hour


I thought was asking about communications classes, not community college classes. So in that way, it does answer the question! :P




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest