But seriously... Why Harvard?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mrloblaw

Re: But seriously... Why Harvard?

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:...and have a hotter wife.

Can any current HLS students or graduates confirm this?

Wouldn't the three years spent at Harvard per se equate to high opportunity costs in that regard?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am

Appeal to Authority.
Appeal to probability.
Argument from fallacy.
Base rate fallacy.
Conjunction fallacy.
Fallacy of necessity.
Masked man fallacy.
Affirming a disjunct.
Affirming the consequent.
Denying the antecedent.
Existential fallacy.

Just figured I'd join the OP in fucking blowhard land by quoting a list of fallacies that I found on wikipedia.

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 pm

No... You're very alone in investing the time necessary to compile that list.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 pm

rgndvo wrote:No... You're very alone in investing the time necessary to compile that list.

Ad hominem.

See how easy it is to come across like a complete douche when you throw around UG philosophical terms rather than just have a conversation with people?

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rgndvo wrote:No... You're very alone in investing the time necessary to compile that list.

Ad hominem.

See how easy it is to come across like a complete douche when you throw around UG philosophical terms rather than just have a conversation with people?

Damn it stop feeding the troll already.

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Ad hominem.

Quick draw, Mcgraw. I am always fascinated by how rapidly TLS-ers respond to messages.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Curious1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Ad hominem.

Damn it stop feeding the troll already.

Red herring.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:12 pm

rgndvo wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Ad hominem.

Quick draw, Mcgraw. I am always fascinated by how rapidly TLS-ers respond to messages.

Ummmmmmmmmm, Kettle logic.

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rgndvo wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Ad hominem.

Ummmmmmmmmm, Kettle logic.

Well, let this thread die then. Insulting me, clicking refresh for three hours waiting for my response, then feeling hot and bothered by my rather mild reply (hence, you reply within 30 seconds) is not the way to do that.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 pm

rgndvo wrote:Well, let this thread die then. Insulting me, clicking refresh for three hours waiting for my response, then feeling hot and bothered by my rather mild reply (hence, you reply within 30 seconds) is not the way to do that.

Ignoratio elenchi

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 am

rgndvo wrote:This isn't exactly a novel question, and I think the fact that it hasn't been satisfactorily answered illuminates the necessity of posing it again.

Why Harvard?

I would like attendees of HLS to specifically, concretely (i.e. invoke data rather than "intuition") explain why HLS is so much better than Georgetown, Cornell, Michigan, or other T-14's. There doesn't appear to be any data supporting the notion of bigger salaries. My suspicion is that the desire to sacrifice T-14 scholarships and go to H is born in sheer vanity, and a desire to "name-drop." Prove me wrong, HLS-ers.

TL:DR

To drop the H-bomb on bitches obviously.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 am

How easy is it for the guy last in the class to get a job (out of Harvard)?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 am

LawSchoolChampion wrote:How easy is it for the guy last in the class to get a job (out of Harvard)?

The VERY last guy? lol I imagine not very easy, but I think that answer would be the same in any law school across the nation. It is definitely easier than any other school not called HYS.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Is the bottom 10% of the class there because of (relatively) less intelligence, caring less, less ability to do well on law school exams, or something else? It's just hard for me to imagine someone working hard enough to get into H and then turning it off, and it's equally hard for me to imagine someone being significantly less intelligent than everyone else.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:24 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Is the bottom 10% of the class there because of (relatively) less intelligence, caring less, less ability to do well on law school exams, or something else? It's just hard for me to imagine someone working hard enough to get into H and then turning it off, and it's equally hard for me to imagine someone being significantly less intelligent than everyone else.

Generally speaking intelligence isn't that important in law school exams. Or rather what I mean is, in my opinion, everyone's intelligence in a school already falls into a range that, while possibly somewhat varied, is certainly not great enough of a range where higher intelligence in the band would be positively correlated with higher grades. Hard work is certainly another factor and luck is also a huge consideration. imo, most people know their stuff on exam day. Those that I have heard do worse (i.e. get an LP, and you have to have a few LPs [or at least 1 with all Ps for the rest, iunno] to be in the bottom 10% of the class), either had extenuating circumstances or poor time management (anxiety attack or not enough timed practices). I haven't met anyone here that does not 'get' the material on exam day.

But I can imagine it being overwhelming. You are taking a lot of students who are used to being in the top 2% of their class their whole life then sticking them together, where it is no longer physically possible for them all to be at the top of the class. That can induce some anxiety I'm sure.

judgeholden

Postby judgeholden » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:46 pm

I honestly hope OP doesn't go to law school, as his logical deduction is ridiculous.

Anyway, why go to Harvard?
When a Harvard grad meets another Harvard grad they get excited and immediately respect each other.
When a Harvard grad meets a Stanford grad they shake hands and immediately respect each other.
When a Harvard or Stanford grad meets a Georgetown grad they pat him on the head, tell him how cute he is and ask him what he'd like to be when he grows up.

This obviously isn't true for all areas, but it's true enough for most. If you don't go to Harvard you'll never be one of them. Doesn't matter what you achieve, you'll never have that degree and someone else that's achieved just as much but has that degree will always be favored by others with that, or similar degrees.

Welcome to the world.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Is the bottom 10% of the class there because of (relatively) less intelligence, caring less, less ability to do well on law school exams, or something else? It's just hard for me to imagine someone working hard enough to get into H and then turning it off, and it's equally hard for me to imagine someone being significantly less intelligent than everyone else.

I mean by definition there has to be a bottom 10%. Also, you don't necessarily have to work very hard to get in, depending on how hard/grade-inflated the classes you took in UG were.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm

judgeholden wrote:I honestly hope OP doesn't go to law school, as his logical deduction is ridiculous.

When a Harvard grad meets another Harvard grad they get excited and immediately respect each other.
When a Harvard grad meets a Stanford grad they shake hands and immediately respect each other.
When a Harvard or Stanford grad meets a Georgetown grad they pat him on the head, tell him how cute he is and ask him what he'd like to be when he grows up.

This obviously isn't true for all areas, but it's true enough for most. If you don't go to Harvard you'll never be one of them. Doesn't matter what you achieve, you'll never have that degree and someone else that's achieved just as much but has that degree will always be favored by others with that, or similar degrees.

Welcome to the world.

When a Yale Law grad meets a Harvard or Stanford Law grad he/she . . . .

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:42 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
judgeholden wrote:I honestly hope OP doesn't go to law school, as his logical deduction is ridiculous.

Welcome to the world.

When a Yale Law grad meets a Harvard or Stanford Law grad he/she . . . .

Tells them thanks for being a great clerk?

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Welcome to the world.

Dude, as I say, I am not persuaded by vanity-based arguments, nor do I have any interest in making friends with self-satisfied douchebags. Believe it or not (TLS is a very aspies crowd, so this might strike many here as unfathomable) some people don't need to spend $200,000 to make friends (or get laid). It is truly ridiculous how many pro-H "arguments" on this thread have invoked one of those two justifications.

Anyway, I appreciate those who have offered concrete, specific justifications in favor of H sticker (sticker vs scholarship is implicit in this thread, as one who gets into H would almost certainly have a scholarship to a lesser T14) rather than personal attacks. However, I am still leaning toward U of Chicago as my top school.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

I mean by definition there has to be a bottom 10%. Also, you don't necessarily have to work very hard to get in, depending on how hard/grade-inflated the classes you took in UG were.

Credited. Took 8 classes with an undergrad professor who I loved, but who vehemently argued on the first day of class every year that he was morally opposed to giving A-range grades, because that left no room to distinguish the one or two Charles Darwins or Leonardo da Vincis he encountered in his teaching career.

Even with a 3.9 or so in my other classes, I had to slide into a T6 through the back-end via transfer.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 pm

rgndvo wrote:Dude, as I say, I am not persuaded by vanity-based arguments, nor do I have any interest in making friends with self-satisfied douchebags. Believe it or not (TLS is a very aspies crowd, so this might strike many here as unfathomable) some people don't need to spend $200,000 to make friends (or get laid). It is truly ridiculous how many pro-H "arguments" on this thread have invoked one of those two justifications.

Epic fail... as usual.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:37 am

rgndvo wrote:Anyway, I appreciate those who have offered concrete, specific justifications in favor of H sticker (sticker vs scholarship is implicit in this thread, as one who gets into H would almost certainly have a scholarship to a lesser T14) rather than personal attacks. However, I am still leaning toward U of Chicago as my top school.

So at least this thread wasn't a complete waste -- definitely some good news came out of it!

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 am

rgndvo wrote:

Welcome to the world.

Dude, as I say, I am not persuaded by vanity-based arguments, nor do I have any interest in making friends with self-satisfied douchebags. Believe it or not (TLS is a very aspies crowd, so this might strike many here as unfathomable) some people don't need to spend $200,000 to make friends (or get laid). It is truly ridiculous how many pro-H "arguments" on this thread have invoked one of those two justifications.

Anyway, I appreciate those who have offered concrete, specific justifications in favor of H sticker (sticker vs scholarship is implicit in this thread, as one who gets into H would almost certainly have a scholarship to a lesser T14) rather than personal attacks. However, I am still leaning toward U of Chicago as my top school.

But seriously...Why U of Chicago?

soj

Postby soj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 am

Oh, OP just wanted someone to rationalize "choosing" Chicago over Harvard because OP had a feeling he might get into the former but not the latter. Not the first time this happened on TLS, for sure.

Return to “Law School FAQ”