But seriously... Why Harvard? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: But seriously... Why Harvard?

Post by bjsesq » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 pm

AttaBoy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Kimberly wrote:I like when you call me cupcake. That's cute. I apparently misinterpreted your post. Thought you were agreeing with the "farcical conjecture" comment. My bad, sweetie muffin. :wink:
Who agrees with anyone calling anything a "farcical conjecture?" No stress here, snookums. Glad we are on the same page.
I figured using an outrageous phrase to describe an outrageous claim would be appropriate.

"Stupid opinion" better?
Hell yes.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 pm

No need to thow stuff, bro.

(╯°□°)╯︵Image

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
AttaBoy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Kimberly wrote:I like when you call me cupcake. That's cute. I apparently misinterpreted your post. Thought you were agreeing with the "farcical conjecture" comment. My bad, sweetie muffin. :wink:
Who agrees with anyone calling anything a "farcical conjecture?" No stress here, snookums. Glad we are on the same page.
I figured using an outrageous phrase to describe an outrageous claim would be appropriate.

"Stupid opinion" better?
Hell yes.
No. It still hurts my feelings. Aren't you going to defend my honor, pookie bear? :cry:

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Kimberly wrote:No. It still hurts my feelings. Aren't you going to defend my honor, pookie bear? :cry:
Negotiate for my defensive skills, and I may.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kimberly wrote:No. It still hurts my feelings. Aren't you going to defend my honor, pookie bear? :cry:
Negotiate for my defensive skills, and I may.
:shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

sigh

Geon

Bronze

Post by Geon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

rgndvo wrote:This isn't exactly a novel question, and I think the fact that it hasn't been satisfactorily answered illuminates the necessity of posing it again.

Why Harvard?

I would like attendees of HLS to specifically, concretely (i.e. invoke data rather than "intuition") explain why HLS is so much better than Georgetown, Cornell, Michigan, or other T-14's. There doesn't appear to be any data supporting the notion of bigger salaries. My suspicion is that the desire to sacrifice T-14 scholarships and go to H is born in sheer vanity, and a desire to "name-drop." Prove me wrong, HLS-ers.
1. Harvard has its own credit union that lends to foreign students, making it (along with stanford and yale) one of the very few schools that gurantee you can pay if you're accepted
2. Harvard places more grads in clerkships. While clerking doesn't interest me, for those ~20% of students who want to clerk and who go on to clerk, then Cornell or Georgetown, or Michigan is going to make you have a much more uphill battle.
3. Plenty of places will never ask to see your grade if you went to Harvard, you went to Harvard = automatically smart for many places, not big law necessarily but mid size firms
4. Grade inflation and the impossibility of getting a C- on your transcript
5. Harvard often gives more scholarships, and there is a guy who went to either Columbia or NYU (which are like t5/6) schools and ended up working in "shitlaw" and basically had a depressong life so ran off to turkey to dodge student loans (see areyouinsane) And he graduated before the market went shitty.
6. Now if your question was Harvard vs UT, then I'd say I don't know, all in all UT grads probably have the best job outlook after yale. Moderate in state cost, good job prospects, low col, and one of the largest states and having no close competitors.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue May 01, 2012 1:23 am

Geon wrote:
rgndvo wrote:This isn't exactly a novel question, and I think the fact that it hasn't been satisfactorily answered illuminates the necessity of posing it again.

Why Harvard?

I would like attendees of HLS to specifically, concretely (i.e. invoke data rather than "intuition") explain why HLS is so much better than Georgetown, Cornell, Michigan, or other T-14's. There doesn't appear to be any data supporting the notion of bigger salaries. My suspicion is that the desire to sacrifice T-14 scholarships and go to H is born in sheer vanity, and a desire to "name-drop." Prove me wrong, HLS-ers.
1. Harvard has its own credit union that lends to foreign students, making it (along with stanford and yale) one of the very few schools that gurantee you can pay if you're accepted
2. Harvard places more grads in clerkships. While clerking doesn't interest me, for those ~20% of students who want to clerk and who go on to clerk, then Cornell or Georgetown, or Michigan is going to make you have a much more uphill battle.
3. Plenty of places will never ask to see your grade if you went to Harvard, you went to Harvard = automatically smart for many places, not big law necessarily but mid size firms
4. Grade inflation and the impossibility of getting a C- on your transcript
5. Harvard often gives more scholarships, and there is a guy who went to either Columbia or NYU (which are like t5/6) schools and ended up working in "shitlaw" and basically had a depressong life so ran off to turkey to dodge student loans (see areyouinsane) And he graduated before the market went shitty.
6. Now if your question was Harvard vs UT, then I'd say I don't know, all in all UT grads probably have the best job outlook after yale. Moderate in state cost, good job prospects, low col, and one of the largest states and having no close competitors.
I agree with some of these points, and disagree with others.

1. Maybe, no idea.
2. Than the lower T14? Sure.
3. Not just outside of biglaw, even WITHIN biglaw. Plenty of V50s ask to see your grade almost entirely as a formality tbh. A lot of median students getting V5 jobs (that I know of), and having all Ps can still get V50 pretty easily (and getting straight P's is below median, esp. since in any 1L class, ~36% get Hs, almost all the rest get Ps).
4. Yes it is impossible to get a C- on your transcript, considering HLS only has DS/H/P/LS as options.
5. HLS gives $0 merit scholarships, but if you mean financial aid, possibly. Not sure on direct comparisons.
6. Seriously? That is some hardcore UT trolling. While I think UT is a great law school, mostly for the reasons you listed, it isn't that good. I know a lot of UT law grads...plenty with "not so good" job prospects. Also, are you saying UT > SLS? Best outlook after Yale? lol come on now...Besides, can always go win-win like me man. Get HLS degree, then go to TX biglaw :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”