Law School and the National Guard/Reserve Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
wannabejag

New

Re: Law School and the National Guard/Reserve

Post by wannabejag » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
zander4404 wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:
zander4404 wrote:Does anybody know of schools that might offer in-state tuition to NG members of that state? For example, if somebody is a resident and member of one state's NG, can that person IST to another state's NG and receive in-state tuition without changing their state residency status?
I live in Pennsylvania, but I'm in the New York Army National Guard. I applied to both of New York's state schools (SUNY Buffalo and CUNY). Both schools said I qualify for in-state tuition because of my status as a soldier in the NYARNG. I think most state's are like this. For example, if I were to decide to go to Rutgers Newark, I could get accepted there, and then IST to New Jersey and take advantage of their 100% tuition waiver.

The big advantage is instantly qualifying for in-state tuition in most states. Anecdotally, I applied to UWyoming and they said I'd qualify for in-state immediately upon an IST. I won't go there. But still... nice to know.
That's extremely interesting. I've done a little Googling, hoping to find a comprehensive list of schools that allow non-resident members of a state's NG to qualify for in-state tuition, be it undergrad, graduate, or professional programs - but I have struck out thus far.
It's the kind of thing you just have to email admissions offices about. It's probably really rare.
Its not rare at all. It is actually fairly common. There are some states that just flat out give free tuition to veterans completly. Such as Connecticut.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm

zander4404 wrote:Does anybody know of schools that might offer in-state tuition to NG members of that state? For example, if somebody is a resident and member of one state's NG, can that person IST to another state's NG and receive in-state tuition without changing their state residency status?
No matter how many different forums you post this question on, you are not going to find a "comprehensive" list.

zander4404

New

Post by zander4404 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Last edited by zander4404 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zander4404

New

Post by zander4404 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Last edited by zander4404 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 am

Connecticut offers free tuition for ALL veterans with a CT address. National Guard or no National Guard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Anyone with any insight regarding New Jersey's NG program: Would they provide Student Loan assistance AND 100% tuition for someone who accrued debt in undergrad, moved to NJ, enlisted, and then went to Rutgers- Newark?

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

superbloom wrote:Anyone with any insight regarding New Jersey's NG program: Would they provide Student Loan assistance AND 100% tuition for someone who accrued debt in undergrad, moved to NJ, enlisted, and then went to Rutgers- Newark?
The tuition isn't provided...it's waived. As in no one is paying your bill because it is zero dollars. As far as loan assistance...are you asking if you would be eligible for loans, the answer is yes. If you are asking would the Guard pay them back, the answer is maybe. You have to see what they are offering for Student Loan Repayment when you enlist. It is job dependant.

legalbeagletls

New

Post by legalbeagletls » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”