What should I do?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
utopian_grrl

What should I do?

Postby utopian_grrl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:07 pm

excuse the bad grammar - im typing from my phone... Im scheduled to take the lsat in october. Im currently PTing at 162-165. I havent had a chance to work on my weak points too much so it might improve a few points. I would like to apply by mid November. But if my Oct score is in that PT range, should i apply to just schools lower on my list in November (UMinn, Indiana, Ohio State) and wait for a Dec retake and a possibly higher score before applying to the higher ranked schools in late Dec. Or wait until retake then apply to schools at the top of my list (cornell, michigan, ucla) as well as the lower in late Dec? Other recommended options...besides the whole "wait a year and retake in june." urm with 3.83 gpa btw.ll as the lower in late Dec? Other recommended options...besides the whole "wait a year and retake in june." urm with 3.83 gpa btw.

SilverE2

Re: What should I do?

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 pm

URM with a 162-165 and a 3.8 should get in at all the schools you mentioned. What kind of URM are you?

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:23 pm

SilverE2 wrote:URM with a 162-165 and a 3.8 should get in at all the schools you mentioned. What kind of URM are you?

the best kind- aka african american. But scholarship considerations are also a factor. If i do decide to go to a lower ranked school id like as much $ as possible. Itd be nice to get serious money from schools at the top of my list too if accepted but thats not an absolute deal breaker.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm

PMd you.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:20 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:excuse the bad grammar - im typing from my phone... Im scheduled to take the lsat in october. Im currently PTing at 162-165. I havent had a chance to work on my weak points too much so it might improve a few points. I would like to apply by mid November. But if my Oct score is in that PT range, should i apply to just schools lower on my list in November (UMinn, Indiana, Ohio State) and wait for a Dec retake and a possibly higher score before applying to the higher ranked schools in late Dec. Or wait until retake then apply to schools at the top of my list (cornell, michigan, ucla) as well as the lower in late Dec? Other recommended options...besides the whole "wait a year and retake in june." urm with 3.83 gpa btw.ll as the lower in late Dec? Other recommended options...besides the whole "wait a year and retake in june." urm with 3.83 gpa btw.

I think that applying late could hurt your chances even if you have a higher LSAT score. From what i know schools usually save those last spots for the students that are above the medians, or have something really special that separates them from everyone else (maybe being a URM). I would say just take the test, and see how you do. Reading the LSAT forum you will see that people sometimes PT at 165 then end up at 155 on the real exam. If you feel like you didn't do well then just plan for the Dec retake, but if you feel really good about it, maybe you should just plan on sticking with your score. good luck!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:39 pm

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Apply to the schools high on your list with what you have and then send the updated December scores. Write an addendum that mentions you're retaking in December. But if you make between a 162-165, you'll be fine at cornell, michigan, and ucla. Aim higher.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 pm

That you all for the truly helpful answers.

I've decided to study hard for October and once it's done immediately begin prepping for a December retake. If my Oct scores match my PTs, I'll probably apply to all the schools and let my top choices know I'm doing a Dec retake.

I'll probably apply to higher ranked schools if I get a good score, but if I only get in at Michigan or even Cornell it'd still be awesome.

Return to “Law School FAQ”