LawSchoolPredictor.com and ED applicants

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
msuz

LawSchoolPredictor.com and ED applicants

Postby msuz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 pm

I was under the impression that ED applicants usually need better than average numbers. However, if I plug in my numbers to LSP.com and use the ED option for those schools for which I am weak consider or deny, it improves my chances to consider/weak consider.

Isn't this an error? I thought that if you didnt have good enough numbers for ED at most schools, you would be moved to the "regular" admissions process.

Or, if I apply ED at these schools with average/slightly below average numbers, do I actually increase my chances of getting in?

Thanks

Tiago Splitter

Re: LawSchoolPredictor.com and ED applicants

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 pm

if I apply ED at these schools with average/slightly below average numbers, do I actually increase my chances of getting in?

Yes.

If LSP has you in the weak consider or consider zone then ED could provide the bump you need. If you are listed on LSP as a deny, then ED likely won't help.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 pm

OP, if you're not trolloling, it seems like you don't actually know what ED means.

The "early decision" aspect is yours alone. You've decided that you want to go to a certain school: no other school can sway you from it, it doesn't matter if they don't give you any scholarship money (and most of them won't), and if you get in, you guarantee to be there next fall, avec bells and whistles.

This is a BINDING program, meaning that you can only ED to one school (at a time...) and if accepted you MUST withdraw all of your applications from other schools. If you don't, the law school admissions committees compare lists and will essentially "blackball" you from attending any law school that year.

Sometimes it helps people whose numbers are weaker to getting in to the school of their dreams. It also wraps up your cycle early if you do get in. However, many schools don't weigh an ED applicant much more leniently than a regular decision one, so they can defer your decision into the regular category. Then you'd be free to ED to another school; you are no longer bound to that institution.

Hope it makes sense. Good luck. PM w/ more questions if you are still confused.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:02 pm

what descartes said. The bonus also differs for schools, LSP gives me a major boost as an ED for UVA and less so for Mich vs next to no boost for CCN (where I'm a "consider")

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:44 am

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:OP, if you're not trolloling, it seems like you don't actually know what ED means.

The "early decision" aspect is yours alone. You've decided that you want to go to a certain school: no other school can sway you from it, it doesn't matter if they don't give you any scholarship money (and most of them won't), and if you get in, you guarantee to be there next fall, avec bells and whistles.

This is a BINDING program, meaning that you can only ED to one school (at a time...) and if accepted you MUST withdraw all of your applications from other schools. If you don't, the law school admissions committees compare lists and will essentially "blackball" you from attending any law school that year.

Sometimes it helps people whose numbers are weaker to getting in to the school of their dreams. It also wraps up your cycle early if you do get in. However, many schools don't weigh an ED applicant much more leniently than a regular decision one, so they can defer your decision into the regular category. Then you'd be free to ED to another school; you are no longer bound to that institution.

Hope it makes sense. Good luck. PM w/ more questions if you are still confused.

YCrevolution wrote:The binding ED feature of Law School Predictor applies a percentage-based "boost" to your LSP-internal score (which you do not see on the page), and adjusts your chances accordingly, taking into account how much ED helps at a particular school, and how your LSAT score and GPA compare relative to the matriculant student data at a school.

But for example, with GW's ED, the TLS profile says "the 2009 medians for accepted ED candidates were 3.83 and 169." If my numbers are both below this but EDing moves me from "weak consider" to "consider," is this just a weakness in the algorithm used to calculate ED on the site, or will it really boost my chances?

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:OP, if you're not trolloling, it seems like you don't actually know what ED means.

No, not trolling.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:17 pm

GW offers a full ride scholarship to all ED admits. Their data should not be used as a proxy for most schools.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”