Question about one off accomplishments as Law School Softs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
PrelawSteve

Question about one off accomplishments as Law School Softs

Postby PrelawSteve » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello,

While much has been debated about the value of full fledged softs such as jobs, internships, medal of honor's etc, I am wondering what the effect on Law school admission if any will the following one time one hit wonder type accomplishments would have:

1. As a result of having a cousin with a disability who faces legal challenges, you write an essay on a disability law issue, which gets published in a think tank journal and is cited once (publicly) by a statewide elected official who will be voting on an issue related to that law.

2. Having a single role in a movie. ( I don't mean being a career actor or movie star) I mean, due to an unusual life history having a one hit wonder part lasting about 12 minutes in a Hollywood movie.

3. Being on a TV Game show and winning a moderate amount of money.

Is the effect of these accomplishments negative, no effect at all, moderate soft, weak soft, very very weak soft, soft with maybe a 0.14 percent effect or 1.4 percent effect. Even a 1.4 percent effect helps since for schools in the T6 competition is fierce and a tiny 0.1 edge over another borderline candidate can help.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

tyro

Re: Question about one off accomplishments as Law School Softs

Postby tyro » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 pm

I've heard having published work is great on a resume. I would leave the other stuff off but it's still pretty cool!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 pm

1. Add a published works section to your resume. Decent soft.

2. Was the movie the Lincoln Lawyer? If yes, in @ YHS. If no, gtfo.

3. This will only come up if you get in, and then only to the financial aid office, who will be giving you less money. Congrats on paying more for law school, you Jeopardy/Deal or No Deal/Cash Cab champ, you.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:1. Add a published works section to your resume. Decent soft.

3. This will only come up if you get in, and then only to the financial aid office, who will be giving you less money. Congrats on paying more for law school, you Jeopardy/Deal or No Deal/Cash Cab champ, you.

I like your avatar, an education was a great movie!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 am

SarahKerrigan wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:1. Add a published works section to your resume. Decent soft.

I like your avatar, an education was a great movie!

Thank you. I also greatly admire the legal stylings of Barry Zuckerkorn, especially whence he jumped the shark.

Return to “Law School FAQ”