Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 am

Hi, I'm wondering about the difference in education I would receive from one potential law school from another.

If I went to a T14, would I learn more than I would have at a lower end Tier 1? Is there really a big gap between what is taught at the top schools compared to some lower schools?

How much of a difference would there be between a mid Tier 1 and a mid Tier 2?

Don't factor in prestige at all. Just learning about the law. Thanks.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby run26.2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 am

Dash41 wrote:Hi, I'm wondering about the difference in education I would receive from one potential law school from another.

If I went to a T14, would I learn more than I would have at a lower end Tier 1? Is there really a big gap between what is taught at the top schools compared to some lower schools?

How much of a difference would there be between a mid Tier 1 and a mid Tier 2?

Don't factor in prestige at all. Just learning about the law. Thanks.

You will get the same education at every school. Except Yale, where you will get no education.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 am

There is very little difference. Some might argue that the best practical education you could get would be from a lower ranked part time program, where practicing attorneys come to teach.

Unfortunately, you can't get a job from a lot of those schools.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:There is very little difference. Some might argue that the best practical education you could get would be from a lower ranked part time program, where practicing attorneys come to teach.

Unfortunately, you can't get a job from a lot of those schools.


Thanks for your response. I'm going to work in the sports industry, and I already have all my connections built in to get a job. Prestige really isn't that big of factor for me, so I'm probably going to go to a school that best fits financial and location considerations. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on a better education by going to a lower ranked school.

User avatar
Redzo
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Redzo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:39 am

As far as I've seen, virtually all accredited schools have highly qualified faculty, and for the most part I suspect that they all teach the same stuff. Substantively, I doubt there is a big difference anywhere. It's all about applying yourself.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

How could anyone but a transfer student even answer this question? Even with transfers their experience is questionable because there's such a culture jump between 1L and 2L*. 1L you gotta hustle to get the grades to get the jobs, and all your classmates are doing the same (with the possible exception of electives). 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:41 pm

dailygrind wrote: 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.


I thought 2/3L is usually hell if you don't get a job at OCI?

User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby SarahKerrigan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:18 pm

dailygrind wrote:How could anyone but a transfer student even answer this question? Even with transfers their experience is questionable because there's such a culture jump between 1L and 2L*. 1L you gotta hustle to get the grades to get the jobs, and all your classmates are doing the same (with the possible exception of electives). 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.

It's kind of like how people on here talk about how you wont find a job as a lawyer after law school, and most of them are in law school, or haven't started yet.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Does anyone know of a reputable source which discusses this?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm

minnbills wrote:
dailygrind wrote: 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.


I thought 2/3L is usually hell if you don't get a job at OCI?


Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced academically.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 pm

dailygrind wrote:
minnbills wrote:
dailygrind wrote: 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.


I thought 2/3L is usually hell if you don't get a job at OCI?


Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced (academically - otherwise, the pressure is probably soul crushing).


Is this pretty much just the case at t14s... or t20s.... just looking through the employment forum it seems like there is hardly any hope for anyone. With all the high-achieving TLSers you would think it would be offer this, offer that etc.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 pm

No.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby NYC Law » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 pm

You'll probably get a pretty good education anywhere. If it's a major city the school will probably have great professors regardless of rank, profs care more about living and working somewhere desirable than living in a shit city for a marginally higher ranked school.

But if school doesn't matter of course you should just pick based on overall cost.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.


I've heard this before too, though I think it applies to schools which have a major discrepancy in rank, like T1 vs. TTT

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 pm

minnbills wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.


I've heard this before too, though I think it applies to schools which have a major discrepancy in rank, like T1 vs. TTT



That's pretty correct. I worked with a guy from a local TTTT this summer, and he basically said they get absolute practical education and not very theory-based. It's all geared towards passing the bar.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

minnbills wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.


I've heard this before too, though I think it applies to schools which have a major discrepancy in rank, like T1 vs. TTT


I disagree that the difference is just between T1 and TTT. I would say that the type of education you receive at top schools will be very different between schools.

For example, NU and Columbia students have a much more professionally-grounded faculty and therefore have less theory-based courses.

Chicago and Yale students get a much more theory-based approach, with less emphasis on practical application in courses like civ pro, crim, property, and contracts.

Berkeley and NYU students have uniquely strong and specific clinical opportunities and PI-related courses.

Harvard has a lot of great theory at the top and a lot of practical/academic-newbie courses on the bottom.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Dash41 wrote:Does anyone know of a reputable source which discusses this?

Yes - most schools disclose their curriculum and degree requirements on their websites, as well as their course offerings. You will likely find that higher ranked = more electives, and lower ranked = more required classes extending further into 2L and 3L, maybe more focus on practice. I wouldn't think of it in terms of learning "more" at one or the other, not least because law school is only the beginning of learning.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Danteshek » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Big schools offer more courses, so it is a bit easier to specialize as a 3L in a big school. For instance, if you want to do Tax it might make sense to go somewhere that offers an LLM. You can usually take the classes as a JD student.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:33 pm

minnbills wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
minnbills wrote:
dailygrind wrote: 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.


I thought 2/3L is usually hell if you don't get a job at OCI?


Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced (academically - otherwise, the pressure is probably soul crushing).


Is this pretty much just the case at t14s... or t20s.... just looking through the employment forum it seems like there is hardly any hope for anyone. With all the high-achieving TLSers you would think it would be offer this, offer that etc.


I have no idea. Even if you don't get a job through OCI your grades are no longer your focus - you're probably mass mailing like your future career depends on it. All I'm addressing here is the nature of the difference between 1L and 2L academics as context for the idea that even a transfer would be able to gauge the difference in the learning environment between one school and another. 2L has the potential to be much more difficult than 1L overall; indeed the old saying is 1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 am

run26.2 wrote:You will get the same education at every school.


Trollin bro?

Cooley = NYLS = Brookyln = Dozo = Fordham = Columbia...

Cooley = Columbia???

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

uhh Cooley is #1 bro, dunno where you've been.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

Quality of students is likely to affect the quality of education received even though similiar textbooks are used.

JohnMK
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby JohnMK » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

I believe schools are all the same, you will get trained on the job for practical skill (if you are lucky enough to get a job....). However, you'll be more likely to get hired graduating from a Tier 1 school then a Tier 4 school...

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

JohnMK wrote:I believe schools are all the same, you will get trained on the job for practical skill (if you are lucky enough to get a job....). However, you'll be more likely to get hired graduating from a Tier 1 school then a Tier 4 school...



So Harvard Law School = People's College of Law?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest