Free undergrad courses while enrolled in the law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
utopian_grrl

Free undergrad courses while enrolled in the law school?

Postby utopian_grrl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:08 pm

I read this about some law schools, but I'm not sure if this is standard...(sorry if this has already been answered).

Since full-time law school tuition generally covers more credit hours than a law student enrolls in per semester - and is more expensive than undergrad - is it possible to use those extra credit hours to take undergrad courses at no extra cost and no formal admission to the undergrad school? ie: 12 hrs LS courses and 3 hrs undergrad credit.

I'd like to take a few courses in computer science and German (just for fun) while in law school.

cinephile

Re: Free undergrad courses while enrolled in the law school?

Postby cinephile » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm taking yoga. Might as well take advantage of these opportunities.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:40 pm

At what point do you think you will have time to take undergrad courses while in law school?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:43 pm

UPenn allows up to 4. Alternatively, we can get a free masters of bioethics. Goodies!

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 am

kalvano wrote:At what point do you think you will have time to take undergrad courses while in law school?

I don't see how taking an undergrad course during law school is any different from someone taking time out for their hobbies. ie: playing the guitar, sports clubs, yoga (as mentioned above) etc. As long as you have time management and the subject is in something somewhat different than law and in an area you have a legit interest in, I don't see the problem of taking one undergrad class per semester.

Veyron wrote:UPenn allows up to 4. Alternatively, we can get a free masters of bioethics. Goodies!

Hey, if it's free...
and it might allow you to catch up on some nap time. (jk all you science majors. science is fun fun fun. but seriously, totally important too).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 am

NYU lets you into undergrad language courses, but 1) you get last priority when registering and 2) you don't get any law school credit for them.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Berkeley lets you take upper level language classes and count them for law credits, although only half the credits for which they're listed. You could also just talk to professors about auditing.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 pm

At Tulane you can take one class per semester at the graduate level, but this does not include courses in a lot of the humanities graduate programs. Regardless, neither the course credit hour nor the grade received in the course count towards graduation.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:58 am

Don't worry about it. You won't have time during 1L. And during 2L/3L, you'll want to devote extra time to important things like law review, getting a jerb, drinking whiskey, and playing xbox.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 am

Who gives a fuck, you're in law school. Just accept the fact that undergrad is over.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:00 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Who gives a fuck, you're in law school. Just accept the fact that undergrad is over.

Nah dude the girls at my LS are, for the most part, she-beasts. The undergrads, however....

wolverine6

Postby wolverine6 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Michigan allows you to take undergrad language classes for credit. I'm not sure how many people actually do though.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Who gives a fuck, you're in law school. Just accept the fact that undergrad is over.

Nah dude the girls at my LS are, for the most part, she-beasts. The undergrads, however....

Why do men refer to women as girls? Just curious. I mean, are you still boys in your mind or something similar? I don't get it. Not to sound ultra-feminist, but really...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Why do men refer to women as girls? Just curious. I mean, are you still boys in your mind or something similar? I don't get it. Not to sound ultra-feminist, but really...

HARP DARP LANGUAGE HOW DOES IT WORK?

Return to “Law School FAQ”