Music Business Lawyers...? Dual Degree - JD / MM? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MusicComp

New

Music Business Lawyers...? Dual Degree - JD / MM?

Post by MusicComp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I can see the argument against the JD/MA, but I wonder if the same opinion (of most TLS) users is against that for other graduate programs.

How do people feel about a JD with a MM (Masters in Music) - Music Business?

Is it just as useless?

When most people say Intellectual Property they refer to the big tech jobs in Cali and NY, but no one ever seems to discuss IP in regards to music...is it that futile of a field if you have a passion for it?

I'd like to be an attorney for musicians and was curious what people felt about the field...

nealric

Re: Music Business Lawyers...? Dual Degree - JD / MM?

Post by nealric » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:08 pm

I'd like to be an attorney for musicians and was curious what people felt about the field...
It's a minuscule field, and to the extent that it exists, is an extremely unlikely option straight out of law school. Most likely, you would need serious music industry connections and several years of legal practice before getting into this.

Dual degrees are all the rage these days. Most of them are nothing more than a way to bilk more tuition money out of starry eyed students.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Like the poster above said, its irrelevant. You will not go into music industry law. Artists usually contact and retain family/friends for legal representation or a select number of high profile individuals. Its something that falls on you by chance...few, if any, ever went to law school specifically for it. In today's economy, shoot for a broad specialty like corporate or criminal. Even that may not be a guarantee.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 pm

MusicComp wrote:I'd like to be an attorney for musicians and was curious what people felt about the field...
Musicians aren't going to ask their lawyer for advice on their music any more than a lawyer would ask a musician for legal help.

Musicians typically need contract and IP lawyers. Even people who fail out of Lego Rock Band can learn to do this work if they're competent law students and lawyers. Getting this kind of work mostly relies on connections, but there are probably better ways to make those than paying for an irrelevant music degree just to meet music people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”