2 days into 1L...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

2 days into 1L...

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:15 pm

... and Im wondering if my 2014 peers and I can feel as if we have officially shed the shackles that come with the 0L title.


bring on the shit storm, dont care. Hoping this brings laughs.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

The answer is already no because you had to ask for permission-assert yourself!

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby beachbum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Two days? Come back in a week and a half, 0L.

- beachbum, 1L.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Pffft. Already a full week and a day into law school (started the 22nd). I'm a vet. GTFO with this day 2 whining.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't even start orientation for another 3 weeks.

--ImageRemoved--

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I don't even start orientation for another 3 weeks.

--ImageRemoved--


That picture actually reminds me of law school orientation.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm

..but..but.. they said "welcome to 1L" and that id been oriented....

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:41 pm

bport hopeful wrote:..but..but.. they said "welcome to 1L" and that id been oriented....


I thought orientation just meant free food, finding the bathrooms, and seeing who to hook up with.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm

bport hopeful wrote:... and Im wondering if my 2014 peers and I can feel as if we have officially shed the shackles that come with the 0L title.


bring on the shit storm, dont care. Hoping this brings laughs.

I'm just grad you didn't make some super dumb "OMG 1L is so easy!!11!!!" thread.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Grizz wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:... and Im wondering if my 2014 peers and I can feel as if we have officially shed the shackles that come with the 0L title.


bring on the shit storm, dont care. Hoping this brings laughs.

I'm just grad you didn't make some super dumb "OMG 1L is so easy!!11!!!" thread.

bahaha im gunna now.

OMfreakingG. Ive been in 1L for two whole days. Shitz so eazzzy.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Grizz wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:... and Im wondering if my 2014 peers and I can feel as if we have officially shed the shackles that come with the 0L title.


bring on the shit storm, dont care. Hoping this brings laughs.

I'm just grad you didn't make some super dumb "OMG 1L is so easy!!11!!!" thread.

bahaha im gunna now.

OMfreakingG. Ive been in 1L for two whole days. Shitz so eazzzy.


To riff off of that in a realistic manner, Socratic method was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Maybe due to not having any truly diabolical teachers, but I haven't cried and I haven't seen any other 1Ls cry. Yet.

Though I definitely notice it is exactly like HS. Everyone knows everyone's shit. Even after a few days. And there is already a kid we ALL fucking hate.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.


Man that's risky. Every time someone volunteers on a fluff question in Crim the professor grills them on and off the rest of the class.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.


Man that's risky. Every time someone volunteers on a fluff question in Crim the professor grills them on and off the rest of the class.


I get off easy because I have charm.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164360

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.


Man that's risky. Every time someone volunteers on a fluff question in Crim the professor grills them on and off the rest of the class.


I get off easy because I have charm.


I need to get me one of them personality things

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


Mostly the same in my classes outside of Crim, where the prof doesn't really care if you raise your hand for the initial case rundown. I just volunteer myself in that class because he's a known hard-ass, Socratic style teacher. Granted, I volunteer on fluff questions each time (today was talking about hippies).

I haven't been called out in that class, but in Contracts and Civ Pro I've been called on when no one raised their hands. I am,however, a bit surprised at the high amount of volunteers.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164360


My Civ Pro teacher doesn't refer to me as Judge. :!:

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
I need to get me one of them personality things


It's a hard thing to deal with.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby beachbum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


I have one professor who doesn't cold-call, one who calls on a few people/class and takes a lot of volunteers, and one who cold calls A LOT. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), the tough Socratic is my favorite class. Funny how that works out.

Also, I have a surprising amount of free time. (lulz 1L is so easy).

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Socratic method is virtually nonexistent since there are so many volunteers. At most one person per class gets called on.


I have one professor who doesn't cold-call, one who calls on a few people/class and takes a lot of volunteers, and one who cold calls A LOT. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), the tough Socratic is my favorite class. Funny how that works out.

Also, I have a surprising amount of free time. (lulz 1L is so easy).


Hah, same here. The main socratic class for me is Crim and is, by far, my favorite class.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:12 pm

One prof grills you more and more if you keep getting his question right, makes a quick snide comment if you get it wrong and moves on

Another won't let you off the hot seat until you say something at least somewhat intelligent, record is at about 7 minutes right now of straight grilling, it was awesome

Two that barely cold call at all

I think by far the most overhyped thing about Law School so far is the big bad scary socratic method.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 am

Personally I don't care what you call yourself. As far as I'm concerned if you're in law school you're a law student, BUT:

It has been said that you are not a law student until you walk out of your civ pro exam.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

rdcws000 wrote:Personally I don't care what you call yourself. As far as I'm concerned if you're in law school you're a law student, BUT:

It has been said that you are not a law student until you walk out of your civ pro exam.

Who says that and why

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2 days into 1L...

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

Ill be back at the end of the day to update thread title.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest