UC Irvine law school hype

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SarahKerrigan

UC Irvine law school hype

Postby SarahKerrigan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:33 am

Is this why the numbers are so high for a school that currently isn't ranked? I live in the area, and it would be great to attend law school there, but the numbers are incredibly high right now, in 2-3 years will this die down a lot?

Bildungsroman

Re: UC Irvine law school hype

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 am

UCI managed to buy themselves those high numbers with their huge finaid budget over the past few years, which is something they can't keep up.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:45 am

well thats good to know ^_^

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:48 am

UCI can end up in rankings anywhere from 20ish to 40ish I'd say, but probably will end up 20ish just because the admin is keen on (and has permission) to only accept as many people as they can keep those numbers with. So if it means a class of 40 people, they'll do that.

The more useful question for you would be what you want from a school experience, where you want to practice, what type of job ops do you want... UCI may or may not be the right choice for you depending.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 am

Anybody know the medians? The 25th/75th breakdowns aren't that impressive. Certainly not to where I'd expect them to rank around number 20.

http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/consumer_info.html

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:20 am

LawWeb wrote:UCI can end up in rankings anywhere from 20ish to 40ish I'd say, but probably will end up 20ish just because the admin is keen on (and has permission) to only accept as many people as they can keep those numbers with. So if it means a class of 40 people, they'll do that.

LOL That is very unlikely.

What is more likely is that you either attend UCI or work for them.

snailio

Postby snailio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:58 am

UC-Irvine Law Students All Have Summer Jobs

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/LawArticle.jsp?id=1202446816002&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Some of these have offers now that HYS kids would give their left ........

snailio

Postby snailio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 am

http://www.law.uci.edu/career_dev/participating_employers.html

Take a look at that list....lol

Me thinks someone has it going on at UCI

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 am

snailio wrote:UC-Irvine Law Students All Have Summer Jobs

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/LawArticle.jsp?id=1202446816002&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Some of these have offers now that HYS kids would give their left ........

Any word on the 2L search? Finding unpaid work for 1Ls isn't really that difficult, and with only 60 people they should be able to get everyone something decent.

total_loss

Postby total_loss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:Is this why the numbers are so high for a school that currently isn't ranked? I live in the area, and it would be great to attend law school there, but the numbers are incredibly high right now, in 2-3 years will this die down a lot?

The numbers are directly tied to guaranteed NSA financial aid awards for every member of the incoming classes for the past 3 years (i.e., 100% for the class of 2012; 50% for the class of 2013; and 33% for the class of 2014) and incredibly small incoming class sizes (60 in 2009, 83 in 2010, 89 in 2011).

As the financial aid decreases and the incoming class size increases, incoming class GPA and LSAT stats get worse.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Here are both the 1L and 2L jobs for this past year: http://law.uci.edu/career_dev/offers_and_employment.html

My point above was not that "Yay, UCI will end up T20." Rather that ranking isn't really what to focus on at this point, ranking won't even come out for some years yet, and 40 - 20 doesn't mean all that much (Davis isn't now a national school because it jumped a bit). UCI is rather unique, so if you are thinking about attending, finding out the specifics rather than guessing rank is more helpful. If your only goal is say to work for Wctl/Skd in NYC, you might choose another school, for example. UCI has its plusses and limits, depending on what you want. For me, it's worked out as well as (maybe better than) if I went to say a mid-level T14, certainly a T20. Will I say that mid-career, who knows, but I'm glad to answer any q's based on your specific goals/worries/etc.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 am

LawWeb wrote:Here are both the 1L and 2L jobs for this past year: http://law.uci.edu/career_dev/offers_and_employment.html

Respectfully, that list is not the "jobs" 2Ls had this summer. The website says "Offers made and legal positions held." Undoubtedly some of those firms were offers made to the same group of top students; it happens that way at every school. From the information they list, it's not clear how many students actually got firm jobs, and at what firms, for this summer. Personally I'll take the ambiguity against UCI because they're the ones who set up that website in a misleading way, though I understand others will be more optimistic.

Still, it does show a good potential for employment. Firms aren't ignoring them. But how far down the class that potential goes is unclear by that link.

Noval

Postby Noval » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

The only reason this place got popular is their huge private funding, giving out full rides to an entire Class...
It may have placed well on the first cohort, but nobody can predict how well it will do on the future.
I personnally wouldn't go there without a scholly, but yes, it's too early to roll a final judgement.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
LawWeb wrote:Here are both the 1L and 2L jobs for this past year: http://law.uci.edu/career_dev/offers_and_employment.html

Respectfully, that list is not the "jobs" 2Ls had this summer. The website says "Offers made and legal positions held." Undoubtedly some of those firms were offers made to the same group of top students; it happens that way at every school. From the information they list, it's not clear how many students actually got firm jobs, and at what firms, for this summer. Personally I'll take the ambiguity against UCI because they're the ones who set up that website in a misleading way, though I understand others will be more optimistic.

Still, it does show a good potential for employment. Firms aren't ignoring them. But how far down the class that potential goes is unclear by that link.

It is actually the list of where people worked this summer. The title is clunky, but I know for a fact that that is what the info is. And you have it a bit backwards - it's not that there are firms listed that made offers but took no one, there are instead firms listed only once that took multiple students (Gibson Dunn and Milbank are two I know off the top of my head). And there were only 60 students in the 2L class, so I think the math means everyone or just about everyone line up with something - and as a note only about 40 of the 60 chose to do OCI - because of the full schollys, a full 1/3 of the class chose to go PI/etc because they were free to do so due to lack of debt. There were 83 students in the 1L class, so for the 1L's that's about 15% with federal externships, 3 with Circuit level, every 1L got something, most what they wanted. It'll take a few more OCIs to get a meaningful trend, but it's a bizarre/unique school - to be placing people where it is as an unranked, even when unaccredited school kind of defies rank. I know in my summer positions I only worked beside T14ers basically - certain jobs are bringing in UCIers to that circle. On the other side, surely certain firms are not ready to add UCI to the list of schools they recruit from, and some firms, like O'Melveny, only recruit at OCI for their OC office at the moment.

snailio

Postby snailio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:19 am

LawWeb wrote:It is actually the list of where people worked this summer. The title is clunky, but I know for a fact that that is what the info is. And you have it a bit backwards - it's not that there are firms listed that made offers but took no one, there are instead firms listed only once that took multiple students (Gibson Dunn and Milbank are two I know off the top of my head). And there were only 60 students in the 2L class, so I think the math means everyone or just about everyone line up with something - and as a note only about 40 of the 60 chose to do OCI - because of the full schollys, a full 1/3 of the class chose to go PI/etc because they were free to do so due to lack of debt. There were 83 students in the 1L class, so for the 1L's that's about 15% with federal externships, 3 with Circuit level, every 1L got something, most what they wanted. It'll take a few more OCIs to get a meaningful trend, but it's a bizarre/unique school - to be placing people where it is as an unranked, even when unaccredited school kind of defies rank. I know in my summer positions I only worked beside T14ers basically - certain jobs are bringing in UCIers to that circle. On the other side, surely certain firms are not ready to add UCI to the list of schools they recruit from, and some firms, like O'Melveny, only recruit at OCI for their OC office at the moment.

This is a credited response, in addition look at the faculty Cherm has put together it's already acknowledged as one of the finest, I mean come on a Yale professor coming to UCI?....check out the rest of their faculty. Brain Leiter has it ranked in the top ten already, not that I'm a big fan of his, but just saying.

--LinkRemoved--

No one has said this Law School has national placement, what we are saying is that it has great regional placement already, these people are serious.

LawWeb is giving valid information.

Like I said in my previous post some of these kids got offers for not for summers, but permanent employment in firms, big ones that T-14 kids would... well you know the rest.

You know it doesn't take many offers to drill down through 60 people.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:46 am

LawWeb wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

It is actually the list of where people worked this summer. The title is clunky, but I know for a fact that that is what the info is. And you have it a bit backwards - it's not that there are firms listed that made offers but took no one, there are instead firms listed only once that took multiple students (Gibson Dunn and Milbank are two I know off the top of my head). And there were only 60 students in the 2L class, so I think the math means everyone or just about everyone line up with something - and as a note only about 40 of the 60 chose to do OCI - because of the full schollys, a full 1/3 of the class chose to go PI/etc because they were free to do so due to lack of debt. There were 83 students in the 1L class, so for the 1L's that's about 15% with federal externships, 3 with Circuit level, every 1L got something, most what they wanted. It'll take a few more OCIs to get a meaningful trend, but it's a bizarre/unique school - to be placing people where it is as an unranked, even when unaccredited school kind of defies rank. I know in my summer positions I only worked beside T14ers basically - certain jobs are bringing in UCIers to that circle. On the other side, surely certain firms are not ready to add UCI to the list of schools they recruit from, and some firms, like O'Melveny, only recruit at OCI for their OC office at the moment.

I stand corrected. It's still a silly way to title the list, though, and it's different from how they listed it for the previous summer, when they just called it "Legal positions held by UCI Law students during Summer 2010," which would make a lot more sense.

You're right in that it'll take a few more OCIs to see what happens, and this is a pretty unique situation.

Return to “Law School FAQ”