What classes should i take?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

What classes should i take?

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:53 am

Finishing my last 2 years of undergrad, and am majoring in philosophy. I have 11 classes that i HAVE to take, besides that i can take whatever i want. Any suggestions on what i should take? i could prob minor in something, do minors look good to law schools? thanks in advance!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Whatever you can get A+'s in.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Don't waste your time on a minor, just take classes that you want to take that will get you good grades.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby Moomoo2u » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Whatever you can get A+'s in.



This. DO NOT take intro to logic unless you are good at math/puzzles/logic stuff. It will not help you with the LSAT (maybe marginally), and you will struggle to get a B+.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
kalvano wrote:Whatever you can get A+'s in.



This. DO NOT take intro to logic unless you are good at math/puzzles/logic stuff. It will not help you with the LSAT (maybe marginally), and you will struggle to get a B+.

Hopefully a philosophy major could get an A in intro to logic. But I agree with not choosing classes thinking they'll help you with the LSAT.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 pm

I kind of assumed that intro to logic was required for philosopholks. Anyway, word of advice: take some combination of classes that would be (1) interesting and/or (2) useful.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Take language classes. They are fun.

User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the advice, i guess ill focus mainly on classes that i feel will increase my GPA.

User avatar
IamJosh
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 am

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby IamJosh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:17 am

Moomoo2u wrote:
kalvano wrote:Whatever you can get A+'s in.



This. DO NOT take intro to logic unless you are good at math/puzzles/logic stuff. It will not help you with the LSAT (maybe marginally), and you will struggle to get a B+.


I attend a reasonably reputable school and I took intro to logic last spring. Probably the easiest class in the school... No, don't take it for LSAT prep, it won't help.

Edit: I said something too harsh, took it out.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby NZA » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 am

prezidentv8 wrote:I kind of assumed that intro to logic was required for philosopholks. Anyway, word of advice: take some combination of classes that would be (1) interesting and/or (2) useful.

At most places it is. :? I'd assume that OP has already an intro to logic class.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby ahduth » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 am

I'm still a little miffed I didn't get to take Intro to Physics 3 or whatever it was I tested into while I was in undergrad. They made me retake multivariable calc, because they didn't think the one on my high school transcript "counted." So that was a free A, but I resultantly ran out of electives.

So if you could take some sort of physics course on wave mechanics, you'd be putting one of my ghosts to rest. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 pm

ahduth wrote:I'm still a little miffed I didn't get to take Intro to Physics 3 or whatever it was I tested into while I was in undergrad. They made me retake multivariable calc, because they didn't think the one on my high school transcript "counted." So that was a free A, but I resultantly ran out of electives.

So if you could take some sort of physics course on wave mechanics, you'd be putting one of my ghosts to rest. Thanks in advance.

ill work on that ^_^. i just checked out your profile, how did you only manage to get a 137 on the lsat when your GPA is that high?( i mean no offense at all, i would just assume with a 4.1 your lsat would be really high also.)

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Take engineering classes and non-romance languages.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:37 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:
ahduth wrote:I'm still a little miffed I didn't get to take Intro to Physics 3 or whatever it was I tested into while I was in undergrad. They made me retake multivariable calc, because they didn't think the one on my high school transcript "counted." So that was a free A, but I resultantly ran out of electives.

So if you could take some sort of physics course on wave mechanics, you'd be putting one of my ghosts to rest. Thanks in advance.

ill work on that ^_^. i just checked out your profile, how did you only manage to get a 137 on the lsat when your GPA is that high?( i mean no offense at all, i would just assume with a 4.1 your lsat would be really high also.)

Those aren't his real stats. A lot of people, for whatever reason, put joke stats into their profile.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Major in something that affords you a good chance of getting a job (accounting, hard sciences, math, engineering, etc).

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Your mind could change. Do something that's in demand. Never hurts a trad to work a bit before any grad school, imo.

User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:45 pm

@resolutepear/johansantana21 i'm not talking about changing my major, my OP is about filler classes and or minoring.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: What classes should i take?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:47 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:@resolutepear/johansantana21 i'm not talking about changing my major, my OP is about filler classes and or minoring.


I read your OP.

My RP still stands. HTH.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest