Defending My Decision To Take A Year Off And Take LSAT Again

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
psm11

Defending My Decision To Take A Year Off And Take LSAT Again

Postby psm11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 am

After only being admitted to one tier TTTT school, Duquense Law School in Pittsburgh, I came to the conclusion that it would be better for me to take this year off and study for the LSAT again. I felt I was lazy with my prep for the LSAT during the 2010-2011 and feel with more focus and discipline I can score 160+. My goal is to get into Pitt Law and I honestly couldn't stomach the thought of spending 3 years and over 33k a year at Duquesne law school--the school never felt like a good fit for me. I have been very content and confident with my decision but over the course of the summer I am begging to question it. All summer I have had friends and family question my decision and ask me thing like "aren't you afraid that you'll never reapply again", "don't you feel like your losing an entire year", and the worst one "doesn't Duquense place their grads just as well as Pitt does". Many of these people are lawyers who went to Duquense and are very successful and every time one of them say something like the above I remind myself that they went to Duquense 20 or 30 years ago and that they have this misconception that what was true then is still true now. I try to be as honest as I can with them and simply reply to their questions by saying "I don't feel Duquense is a good fit for me" or "Pitt makes a lot more sense to me financially".

Did any of you guys who made a decision to wait and reapply have an experience similar to this? It is driving me nuts. I would honestly love to just tell the people who question me that Duquense is TTTT and TTTT=no good/no job/heavy debt. However, they really don't keep abreast to the rankings and no matter what you tell them they still think Duquense is this great prestigious law school. To make matters worse, I was just offered a job by a family friend to work for his company for the year for around 60k before taxes. Now everyone pesters me about "won't you be tempted to just forgo law school because you are making decent money" or "don't you think you are better off just working and making 60k".

I want to go to law school but I want to go to a school that I want to be at. I don't want to enroll in some TTTT shit house just because nowhere else took me. Sorry if I am venting but the last couple weeks have really been messing with my head.

I'd really like to hear from people who were in a situation similar to mine and how they fared. Thanks in advance.

Dany

Re: Defending My Decision To Take A Year Off And Take LSAT Again

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 am

Other people, even if well-meaning, will ALWAYS have different opinions as to what's best for you. That's life. You've told them your decision, the most you can do now is to ask them to respect it and then continue to do what you think is the right thing.

Best of luck on the retake and reapplying.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 am

Dany wrote:Other people, even if well-meaning, will ALWAYS have different opinions as to what's best for you. That's life. You've told them your decision, the most you can do now is to ask them to respect it and then continue to do what you think is the right thing.

Best of luck on the retake and reapplying.

Very true. Thanks for the reply.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:59 am

Lay prestige doesn't mean shit.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 am

i went through the same thing and my results came out not meeting my expectations. i applied first cycle and got in to multiple CCNs and waitlisted at two HYSs. I wanted HYS badly so i retook but i bombed it and this cycle i had to go with one of the C's. it seemed like i wasted a year but in the time off i had a lot of time to reflect on what i wanted to do with my life and law school and i always will never have thoughts like "what if" in the future. i have it my best and if one of the C's is all i could do then i will keep my chin up high and not look back. just make sure you use your year to keep growing and learning new stuff, dont just get drunk and play video games all day.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 am

If it makes you feel better, people did the same thing to me. People were shocked that I chose a much better school over my SEC UG's law school, even though employment prospects could not be more different between the two. It's not worth it to try and explain to them, so I just told them that I was thrilled about the school I chose and left it at that. In the end I know that I'm doing what's best for me. That's all anybody can do.

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:09 am

The worst thing about it is trying to explain the situation to people who have no knowledge of the reality. One of my relatives thinks Loyola chi would be a good choice and that I shouldn't have waited til this cycle to go for better.

If people are going to bother you about it, it might be less painful to just come up with a convenient excuse such as wanting some time to explore other options or going backpacking in Europe.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 am

I have a family friend who went to Duquesne and graduated a year or two ago.

...You made the right decision, bro. He said #1 in his class was still having trouble finding a job. Basically, lawyers and former law students know whatsup and the rest of your "everyone" circle is blissfully unawares. It's not your job to teach them or explain your behavior. Just toss of any number of excuses and don't let their inquisitiveness get to you. You're making the right decision.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

While I agree you made the right decision, IF the people you have been asking are very successful, and they are willing to hire you regardless of your school (you have a job lined up), then go with whatever is cheaper and easier.

The job market for either school won't be great. As far as job security, friends and networking is probably better than either school.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 am

Take the 60k job, retake the LSAT, and go to the highest ranked school you can get into with a PT program. Work while in school and mitigate your debt.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 am

I retook the LSAT and took a year off as well. I think if you're coming straight out of University it's very hard to get any kind of perspective on the situation especially if you have pressure from family/friends.

What you say about the 20-30 years ago thing is absolutely true. Working in a law firm I can tell you that a lot of older lawyers don't understand how important studying hard for the LSAT and going to a highe ranked school are. The market is not the same now as it was then, and even if you do end up going to a similarly ranked school , you can get a lot more money out of them with a higher LSAT score.

And honestly it's about where YOU want to be. If you don't want to go there and work there then don't. I made that mistake my first year of University and regretted it the entire year until I transferred.

Take time off, get some perspective on where you wanna work/live. Get the best lsat score you can and go to the best school you can, when you are ready.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I have a family friend who went to Duquesne and graduated a year or two ago.

...You made the right decision, bro. He said #1 in his class was still having trouble finding a job. Basically, lawyers and former law students know whatsup and the rest of your "everyone" circle is blissfully unawares. It's not your job to teach them or explain your behavior. Just toss of any number of excuses and don't let their inquisitiveness get to you. You're making the right decision.

Wow that is really scary that #1 still can't find job. This makes me feel really bad for my friend who decided on Duquense and believes that if he is in the top 10% he's going to land a job at Reed Smith.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks again guys for the advice. Going give the LSAT everything and hopefully I end up with a decent score and can get into a school that I really like.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 pm

psm11 wrote:Thanks again guys for the advice. Going give the LSAT everything and hopefully I end up with a decent score and can get into a school that I really like.

Don't settle for a "160+."

I was set to go to a law school in the 40-60 range this past year before deciding to re-take. I'm very glad I did. No reason not to put everything you have into the LSAT, including paying for a prep class and taking it 3 times if need be. The school you go to is just too important.

Return to “Law School FAQ”