What type of law am I looking for?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
T-Account

What type of law am I looking for?

Postby T-Account » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

So I kind of know where I want to be at the end of the road, but I'm not sure how to get there. I want to get into FCPA violations/other fraud related issues. What areas of law would be most in-tune with my interests? I'm assuming this falls under corporate law, but this seems like an extremely broad category. When/if I interview for a biglaw job is there a way to interview specifically for this type of work or do you just interview to get a job at the firm and figure what area you work in later?

Assume that I will have relevant work experience prior to entering law school (2+ years).

LurkerNoMore

Re: What type of law am I looking for?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:33 pm

There are a few possible fits. One would be compliance work. You would work with companies to help them set up and maintain internal programs to keep themselves out of trouble.

Another would be white collar defense work. There you would be defending corporate officers that have been charged.

There is also investigation work. When something comes to light corporations often hire firms to do what amounts to an independent internal audit.

On the others side you can work for the Feds on prosecutions.

FCPA. Is a pretty narrow niche. It is pretty common to expand scope into other compliance fields (on either the investigations or compliance functions) or other types of white collar crime. If you are interested in fraud issues, I'm guessing it's more on the going after it side than defense side. A lot of that work is securities work and you'd want to research whether the firm is plaintiff side or defense side. With a few notable exceptions, most big law firms do securities defense work, not plaintiff side. (most do investigations and compliance work though)

T-Account

Postby T-Account » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Thank you for the info! I think that the internal investigation work is what I'm looking for. That seems most in-line with my interest/experience.

ETA: Am I generally looking for firms with good litigation practices? I'm assuming that these investigations would fall in this area?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but you shouldn't be looking at that precise of a specialty. Is it a great goal? Sure. But with the current state of the legal job market, its just not realistic. You will probably end up at which ever firm offers you a job first. Broad specialties like corporate, tax, health, criminal prosecution, criminal defense, etc, are fairly realistic. Internal auditing is a subsection so unique and small that it will be tough to get into.

T-Account

Postby T-Account » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 pm

mrtoren wrote:I don't want to be a debbie downer, but you shouldn't be looking at that precise of a specialty. Is it a great goal? Sure. But with the current state of the legal job market, its just not realistic. You will probably end up at which ever firm offers you a job first. Broad specialties like corporate, tax, health, criminal prosecution, criminal defense, etc, are fairly realistic. Internal auditing is a subsection so unique and small that it will be tough to get into.

Yeah, I kind of understand that. A girl can dream though, right? I do have other interests in other areas of corporate law if I choose to go the law school route. I also have other options outside of law in the fraud investigations route with my current career path. So my main motivation is to figure out if it's worth the risk to gamble on law school. At least I know big firms are the ones involved in the fraud investigations now, which was a concern of mine.

Return to “Law School FAQ”