community college GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SarahKerrigan

community college GPA

Postby SarahKerrigan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

I was reading on how law schools calculate GPA, and something kind of sparked my interest. According to this EHOW article it says "any college course will count towards your GPA if it counts toward your undergrad degree." Does this mean that my non transferable classes wont count towards the LSAC GPA? For example i have a class, street gangs and subcultures, which isn't transferable to a CSU or UC and doesn't count toward my degree, so would this affect the LSAC GPA? Also do law schools look at grade trends? thank you!

Deuce

Re: community college GPA

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:39 pm

It doesn't matter if it can transfer or not, any class you took at any college will count.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 pm

I don't really know the answer to your first question but in my experience if it shows up on your transcript it gets counted. You send in your CC transcripts to LSAC separately and they don't weed out the classes that didn't transfer to your university. If there's a grade there it gets counted.

As for grade trends - not really. I had a sub 3.0 from community college and a 3.9 at my university. My LSAC GPA came out to 3.2 and my application cycle went exactly how it should for someone with a 3.2. The upward trend might have worked as a tie breaker between me and somebody with an otherwise identical application, but that's about it

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:I was reading on how law schools calculate GPA, and something kind of sparked my interest. According to this EHOW article it says "any college course will count towards your GPA if it counts toward your undergrad degree." Does this mean that my non transferable classes wont count towards the LSAC GPA? For example i have a class, street gangs and subcultures, which isn't transferable to a CSU or UC and doesn't count toward my degree, so would this affect the LSAC GPA? Also do law schools look at grade trends? thank you!

Any class you've taken prior to earning your first undergraduate degree is counted towards your LSAC GPA. It doesn't matter if it was non-transferable or whatever. Adcomms do look at grade trends, but it's a pretty small factor.

I think the real question is: great class or greatest class ever?

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:48 pm

thanks, makes sense! haha the class was pretty interesting.

jetpack joe

Postby jetpack joe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Samara wrote:
SarahKerrigan wrote:I was reading on how law schools calculate GPA, and something kind of sparked my interest. According to this EHOW article it says "any college course will count towards your GPA if it counts toward your undergrad degree." Does this mean that my non transferable classes wont count towards the LSAC GPA? For example i have a class, street gangs and subcultures, which isn't transferable to a CSU or UC and doesn't count toward my degree, so would this affect the LSAC GPA? Also do law schools look at grade trends? thank you!

Any class you've taken prior to earning your first undergraduate degree is counted towards your LSAC GPA. It doesn't matter if it was non-transferable or whatever. Adcomms do look at grade trends, but it's a pretty small factor.

I think the real question is: great class or greatest class ever?

j/w, but what about grades from unaccredited colleges?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 pm

You wont be able to get into law school until you stop being an IM fan and recognize that Slayers is the only real SC2 team. Repent now bro

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 am

Corwin wrote:

You wont be able to get into law school until you stop being an IM fan and recognize that Slayers is the only real SC2 team. Repent now bro

HAHA I play zerg so i find IM's games more enjoyable. But yeah, i have one more question about GPA, i saw on the GPA FAQ that sometimes W's count as F's is this only true for FW's or W's of any kind? This worries me because in my four years i got 4 W's and 1 FW, i hope just the FW counts because of the other 4 W's count i'm pretty screwed lol. Also the law schools that we see under the law schools tab, those GPA's are LSAC GPA's? thanks again!

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 am

SarahKerrigan wrote:But yeah, i have one more question about GPA, i saw on the GPA FAQ that sometimes W's count as F's is this only true for FW's or W's of any kind? This worries me because in my four years i got 4 W's and 1 FW, i hope just the FW counts because of the other 4 W's count i'm pretty screwed lol. Also the law schools that we see under the law schools tab, those GPA's are LSAC GPA's? thanks again!

LSAC wrote:Withdraw/fail (WF), no credit (NC), and incomplete (I) course credits are included in the calculation of GPA if the school indicates credits attempted and considers the grade to be punitive.
From what I've seen from others, it should be true that only the FW counts. Schools report things all kinds of ways though, so make sure it gets processed correctly.

As for the "law schools tab," I assume you're talking about either the USNWR rankings listed on TLS or the LSAC/ABA guide. Either way, those GPAs listed are LSAC GPAs. To my knowledge, UGPAs are not reported to anyone.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Samara wrote:
SarahKerrigan wrote:But yeah, i have one more question about GPA, i saw on the GPA FAQ that sometimes W's count as F's is this only true for FW's or W's of any kind? This worries me because in my four years i got 4 W's and 1 FW, i hope just the FW counts because of the other 4 W's count i'm pretty screwed lol. Also the law schools that we see under the law schools tab, those GPA's are LSAC GPA's? thanks again!

LSAC wrote:Withdraw/fail (WF), no credit (NC), and incomplete (I) course credits are included in the calculation of GPA if the school indicates credits attempted and considers the grade to be punitive.
From what I've seen from others, it should be true that only the FW counts. Schools report things all kinds of ways though, so make sure it gets processed correctly.

As for the "law schools tab," I assume you're talking about either the USNWR rankings listed on TLS or the LSAC/ABA guide. Either way, those GPAs listed are LSAC GPAs. To my knowledge, UGPAs are not reported to anyone.

thanks, big sigh of releif haha if all those were to be counted i would be in for a world of hurt.

Rajabu

Postby Rajabu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm in the same boat, 2.8 community college gpa and 3.9 undergrad gpa. I know this is going to wreck my overall gpa and that's all they look at, but would the fact I graduated summa cum laude with department honors make them look past the low overall gpa and look at my undergrad gpa?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

make them look past the low overall gpa and look at my undergrad gpa?

This is a bold claim, but I'll go so far as to say no school will kick out your CC work and ONLY evaluate you based on your undergrad GPA. This is because regardless of whether they like it or not, they'll get dinged on the USNWR median based on your cumulative.

An upward trend is a soft at best.

Sorry.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 pm

jetpack joe wrote:
j/w, but what about grades from unaccredited colleges?

I don't think LSAC requires unaccredited colleges. They pull your enrollment data from the college clearing house, and they do not report unaccredited data. As a rule, if they counted unaccredited classes/grades, then someone can just buy a straight-A bachelors from any unaccredited school.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Rajabu wrote:I'm in the same boat, 2.8 community college gpa and 3.9 undergrad gpa. I know this is going to wreck my overall gpa and that's all they look at, but would the fact I graduated summa cum laude with department honors make them look past the low overall gpa and look at my undergrad gpa?

Hey numbers twin. Same exact problem, graduated summa cum laude and LSAC GPA was barely above 3.0. Nobody is going to overlook it. Luckily for you they invented the LSAT

Return to “Law School FAQ”