Career Goals on Application

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
zdamico

Career Goals on Application

Postby zdamico » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

I just posted a different question, but this is a much different quandary so I am making a new post about it.

I hope to become an FBI Special Agent after law school, which is one of the main reasons I hope to go. I am also considering corporate and criminal law, but as of now, working for the FBI is my number one dream. Would including this in my application help or hurt me?

I know that admissions counselors like to see someone focused and who has an idea of why they want to go to law school, and where they want to go after. But will having a goal to end up somewhere as a non-lawyer look poorly, or will it be good?

Cupidity

Re: Career Goals on Application

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Is it a specific question? If so go for it. If not, why are you mentioning this?

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm

zdamico wrote:I just posted a different question, but this is a much different quandary so I am making a new post about it.

I hope to become an FBI Special Agent after law school, which is one of the main reasons I hope to go. I am also considering corporate and criminal law, but as of now, working for the FBI is my number one dream. Would including this in my application help or hurt me?

I know that admissions counselors like to see someone focused and who has an idea of why they want to go to law school, and where they want to go after. But will having a goal to end up somewhere as a non-lawyer look poorly, or will it be good?

Why don't you just list this as one of the things. Since so many grads can't get legal jobs these days they might be relieved to know you will at least have a chance to be employed when it is over.

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Cupidity wrote:Is it a specific question? If so go for it. If not, why are you mentioning this?

The question is will law schools look positively or negatively upon an applicant having career goals outside of being a lawyer, such as working for the FBI.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 pm

zdamico wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Is it a specific question? If so go for it. If not, why are you mentioning this?

The question is will law schools look positively or negatively upon an applicant having career goals outside of being a lawyer, such as working for the FBI.

My question is, why the hell are you telling them your career goal? did they ask?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Cupidity wrote:
zdamico wrote:

My question is, why the hell are you telling them your career goal? did they ask?

Multiple sources have said they like to hear that. Most of them being admissions directors from T20 schools.

Return to “Law School FAQ”