Is it stupid to write about morals and wanting to do the...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Tainted_Praise

Is it stupid to write about morals and wanting to do the...

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:06 am

Is it stupid to write about morals and wanting to do the right thing in your personal statement....Since often times lawyers have to do or say whatever is necessary in order to win a case....Would I seem too soft and therefore an unfit candidate

The Valkyrie

Re: Is it stupid to write about morals and wanting to do the...

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am

Could you be more specific about what you want to write about?

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am

Just be honest about who you are.

If you really care about morals and think you won't be able to as a lawyer, you should reconsider the career.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:14 am

The Valkyrie wrote:Could you be more specific about what you want to write about?

I don't want to be too specific... But basically I want to write about a time where I was put in a situation where morals had to be sacrificed in order to be get ahead... And I witnessed many people who were willing to sacrifice their morals, but I refused to. Even though they 'got ahead' I felt justified in fighting for what I believe is right....Blah blah blah blah. So is it a stupid idea for a personal statement?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:15 am

The notion that lawyers just do "whatever it takes" for their client is erroneous. There are many weasels who've weaseled their way into the legal profession. However, in the real world, i.e., the world of attorneys in legitimate practices as opposed the legal world as portrayed in movies and scamblogs, lawyers take ethics very seriously. Serious ethical breaches by attorneys are vigorously pursued by others in the profession, especially government regulators. Overall, even the vaguest allegation that an attorney is involved in misconduct can have devastating consequences.

Even if you don't agree that the legal profession has high moral and ethical standards, this much is indisputable: admissions committees do. Just don't make it cheesy.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:22 am

Bronte wrote:The notion that lawyers just do "whatever it takes" for their client is erroneous. There are many weasels who've weaseled their way into the legal profession. However, in the real world, i.e., the world of attorneys in legitimate practices as opposed the legal world as portrayed in movies and scamblogs, lawyers take ethics very seriously. Serious ethical breaches by attorneys are vigorously pursued by others in the profession, especially government regulators. Overall, even the vaguest allegation that an attorney is involved in misconduct can have devastating consequences.

Even if you don't agree that the legal profession has high moral and ethical standards, this much is indisputable: admissions committees do. Just don't make it cheesy.

Lol at the bolded. But anyhow, thanks for this advice. Very solid. And very much needed.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:22 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Could you be more specific about what you want to write about?

I don't want to be too specific... But basically I want to write about a time where I was put in a situation where morals had to be sacrificed in order to be get ahead... And I witnessed many people who were willing to sacrifice their morals, but I refused to. Even though they 'got ahead' I felt justified in fighting for what I believe is right....Blah blah blah blah. So is it a stupid idea for a personal statement?

No. Law schools are looking for people of strong character, people who exemplify a commitment to adhering to high ethical standards. This is a good topic for a PS

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 am

The Valkyrie wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:

No. Law schools are looking for people of strong character, people who exemplify a commitment to adhering to high ethical standards. This is a good topic for a PS

Thanks for the feedback

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 pm

lawgod wrote:Just be honest about who you are.

If you really care about morals and think you won't be able to as a lawyer, you should reconsider the career.

Or at the least you should put yourself out there and let the gate guardians make the decision. I agree about being yourself, though.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm

I think if you can demonstrate this commitment through specific examples, write sincerely, and talk about how these experiences have pushed you to study law, it could make for a fantastic personal statement.

moopness

Postby moopness » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:

This doesn't make sense. You cannot "sacrifice your morals" to get ahead, because the act of sacrifice is itself embedded in one's moral code.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:23 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:

No. Law schools are looking for people of strong character, people who exemplify a commitment to adhering to high ethical standards.

This. But like others have said be careful of cliche.

Maybe get someone (older?) to help you with it if you can.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:47 pm

I personally think that your personal statement needs to explain why you'll be successful as a lawyer (and make tons of money and be able donate millions to your Alma Mater).

Your morals are great, but I would dig a little deeper and focus on other things as well. Your morals are a good reason to go to law school, but I am of the opinion that the main question that should be answered in a personal statement is "why is this guy/girl going to be successful?"

Return to “Law School FAQ”