Should I buy used books?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
melanne89

Should I buy used books?

Postby melanne89 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm on a pretty tight budget and I was planning on buying used books, but I'm worried that all of the highlighting and writing in them will prevent me from learning how to brief and highlight in a way that best works for me. Any ideas as to how much of a difference it makes academically to buy new or used?

lawgod

Re: Should I buy used books?

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Well, buy books that are the right edition.
after that, you might find other people's highlighting annoying. that is why I buy new

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 pm

melanne89 wrote:I'm on a pretty tight budget and I was planning on buying used books, but I'm worried that all of the highlighting and writing in them will prevent me from learning how to brief and highlight in a way that best works for me. Any ideas as to how much of a difference it makes academically to buy new or used?

You should be able to find used books that aren't highlighted. All my books were only marked up with pencil, I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that don't go crazy with the highlighting.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Yeah, I'm only buying used if there's no highlighting. I can deal with pen/pencil underlining and notes in the margins, but not highlighting. And since there's no way to peak inside used books on Amazon, I guess it'll have to be new. I'll be finked if I pay through the nose for the "convenience" of using the campus bookstore.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Yeah, I'm only buying used if there's no highlighting. I can deal with pen/pencil underlining and notes in the margins, but not highlighting. And since there's no way to peak inside used books on Amazon, I guess it'll have to be new. I'll be finked if I pay through the nose for the "convenience" of using the campus bookstore.

Reminds me of a used book I found on amazon which said it had 15 pages of highlighting. I emailed that I am buying it based on your representation that it has 15 pages of highlights. She emailed back don't buy it.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Yeah, I'm only buying used if there's no highlighting. I can deal with pen/pencil underlining and notes in the margins, but not highlighting. And since there's no way to peak inside used books on Amazon, I guess it'll have to be new. I'll be finked if I pay through the nose for the "convenience" of using the campus bookstore.

Buy from 2Ls?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Emma. wrote:

Buy from 2Ls?

Will look into it

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:22 pm

lawgod wrote:

Reminds me of a used book I found on amazon which said it had 15 pages of highlighting. I emailed that I am buying it based on your representation that it has 15 pages of highlights. She emailed back don't buy it.

Yeah people mislabel stuff on amazon all the time. other sites too obvi. hate that

Return to “Law School FAQ”