How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DC1L

New

How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Post by DC1L » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 pm

About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts

Heartford

Bronze

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Post by Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

If I told you the answer was 10,000, what difference would it make to you?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Probably around 150-250 pages a week.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

It will depend on your professor. My 1L assignments ranged from 15 to 40 pages per class (as in each meeting). I'd say 30 on average. So if you have each subject 3 times a week, that is 12 classes times 30 pages. 360 pages. And that is only if you aren't doing any outside reading. Also remember it takes longer to read law school assignments at first, you may even have to read some of the stuff twice. Do what works for you. If it takes an hour to read 10 pages at first, then plan accordingly. Don't rush because it seems like it taking too long. Don't be embarrassed.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:27 pm

I think usually it was anywhere from 20-40 pages per class. But really going by page numbers for law school texts to try and gauge how much work you will have is fairly meaningless IMO-- for one thing, many people use supplements so that will add a lot of reading, and for another thing, thoroughly reading and grasping 20 pages of certain cases in the texts is not necessarily as easy as one might think.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Emma. wrote:# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.
Lol.. Already beat me to it... but I figured what the heck..

DC1L

New

Post by DC1L » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 pm

MoS wrote:It will depend on your professor. My 1L assignments ranged from 15 to 40 pages per class (as in each meeting). I'd say 30 on average. So if you have each subject 3 times a week, that is 12 classes times 30 pages. 360 pages. And that is only if you aren't doing any outside reading. Also remember it takes longer to read law school assignments at first, you may even have to read some of the stuff twice. Do what works for you. If it takes an hour to read 10 pages at first, then plan accordingly. Don't rush because it seems like it taking too long. Don't be embarrassed.
Luckily my classes only meet 8x a week which doesn't make it too bad because I read online somewhere that the weekly workload is about 450 pages/week.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Emma. wrote:# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.
+1 Also, short cases can sometimes take longer to read than longer cases. It all depends on how dense the case is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

DC1L wrote: Luckily my classes only meet 8x a week which doesn't make it too bad because I read online somewhere that the weekly workload is about 450 pages/week.
I know you won't know until you start, but I wouldn't try to compare law school reading to anything else. I can read a 450 page book in a work day, I've actually done that this summer a couple of times for research projects. It would take me much longer to do that if it was from a case book. I would say between 3-5 work days.

kritarch

New

Post by kritarch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 pm

eleventy billion

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 pm

DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts
The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 pm

lawgod wrote:
DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.
TITCR. Assigned reading is for newbs. Hit up the supersecret unassigned reading 4 elite skorz.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Heartford wrote:
lawgod wrote:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts
TITCR. Assigned reading is for newbs. Hit up the supersecret unassigned reading 4 elite skorz.
And how do you go about hitting that up?

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am

Its secret bro

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 am

lawgod wrote:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts
Eh, I didn't read nearly this much. I used the supplements for stuff I didn't understand up front and then as a review closer to finals.

DC1L

New

Post by DC1L » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:
DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.
Textbooks with a heavy math focus can be just as bad or worse. But yeah, shit goes slow. I think the 10 pages/hour estimate isn't too far off the mark for me.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

ahduth wrote:
Heartford wrote:
lawgod wrote:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts
And how do you go about hitting that up?
1) Attend office hours
2) While attending office hours, remove pants
3) After removing pants, stand up and dance like a seal. Like, the marine mammal.
4) Point @ professor, right in the face, and scream, "I KNOW YOU GOTS MAH SECRET READINGZ!!!"
5)???
6) Leet skorz.

(Note: during steps 2 through 5, the professor might pretend to seem annoyed, shocked, or terrified. S/he might even pretend to call security. Don't let this deter you- it's all an act.)

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

LOL credited

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Jane Eyre?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Textbooks with a heavy math focus can be just as bad or worse. But yeah, shit goes slow. I think the 10 pages/hour estimate isn't too far off the mark for me.
You do get faster though. A key to doing well in law school is learning how to read opinions quickly. I blow through opinions now, probably "reading" hundreds of them a week at work. One key is that you can usually virtually ignore the facts, although it depends on the issues. The facts are mostly stated in depth for procedural reasons and posterity. They're then restated more concisely and relevantly in the discussion.

Usually there's a number of points of law, all of which support the holding or holdings. I would basically scan for these, highlight them, and understand how they supported the holding/disposition (the ultimate application of the law to the facts that decides the case). I would write a one or two sentence summary of the facts in the margin next to the facts section in case I was cold called on that.

Some people also do very well using supplements. I pretty much exclusively did not use supplements. However, reading a supplement, or looking up the case on WestLaw and reading the headnotes under the Key Numbers that correspond to the relevant issues can be a good way to cut down on reading time. I would recommend against using supplements in a way that increases reading time, however. Supplements become most relevant when you're outlining, if at all.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:03 pm

1) Attend office hours
2) While attending office hours, remove pants
3) After removing pants, stand up and dance like a seal. Like, the marine mammal.
4) Point @ professor, right in the face, and scream, "I KNOW YOU GOTS MAH SECRET READINGZ!!!"
5)???
6) Leet skorz.

(Note: during steps 2 through 5, the professor might pretend to seem annoyed, shocked, or terrified. S/he might even pretend to call security. Don't let this deter you- it's all an act.)
rofl
I don't know why but that was really funny.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Bronte wrote:Probably around 150-250 pages a week.
sounds about right

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”