How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DC1L
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm

How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby DC1L » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 pm

About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

If I told you the answer was 10,000, what difference would it make to you?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Probably around 150-250 pages a week.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby MoS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

It will depend on your professor. My 1L assignments ranged from 15 to 40 pages per class (as in each meeting). I'd say 30 on average. So if you have each subject 3 times a week, that is 12 classes times 30 pages. 360 pages. And that is only if you aren't doing any outside reading. Also remember it takes longer to read law school assignments at first, you may even have to read some of the stuff twice. Do what works for you. If it takes an hour to read 10 pages at first, then plan accordingly. Don't rush because it seems like it taking too long. Don't be embarrassed.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:27 pm

I think usually it was anywhere from 20-40 pages per class. But really going by page numbers for law school texts to try and gauge how much work you will have is fairly meaningless IMO-- for one thing, many people use supplements so that will add a lot of reading, and for another thing, thoroughly reading and grasping 20 pages of certain cases in the texts is not necessarily as easy as one might think.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Emma. wrote:# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.


Lol.. Already beat me to it... but I figured what the heck..

DC1L
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby DC1L » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 pm

MoS wrote:It will depend on your professor. My 1L assignments ranged from 15 to 40 pages per class (as in each meeting). I'd say 30 on average. So if you have each subject 3 times a week, that is 12 classes times 30 pages. 360 pages. And that is only if you aren't doing any outside reading. Also remember it takes longer to read law school assignments at first, you may even have to read some of the stuff twice. Do what works for you. If it takes an hour to read 10 pages at first, then plan accordingly. Don't rush because it seems like it taking too long. Don't be embarrassed.


Luckily my classes only meet 8x a week which doesn't make it too bad because I read online somewhere that the weekly workload is about 450 pages/week.

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Emma. wrote:# of pages probably won't mean to much to you. Reading cases is very different from other reading. I'd usually get 20-30 pages assigned per class per day. I'm usually a very fast reader and I found MoS' assessment of an hour for 10 pages to be just about right.


+1 Also, short cases can sometimes take longer to read than longer cases. It all depends on how dense the case is.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby MoS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

DC1L wrote:Luckily my classes only meet 8x a week which doesn't make it too bad because I read online somewhere that the weekly workload is about 450 pages/week.


I know you won't know until you start, but I wouldn't try to compare law school reading to anything else. I can read a 450 page book in a work day, I've actually done that this summer a couple of times for research projects. It would take me much longer to do that if it was from a case book. I would say between 3-5 work days.

kritarch
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:44 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby kritarch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 pm

eleventy billion

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby lawgod » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 pm

DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts


The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 pm

lawgod wrote:
DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts


The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.


TITCR. Assigned reading is for newbs. Hit up the supersecret unassigned reading 4 elite skorz.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Heartford wrote:
lawgod wrote:
DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts


The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.


TITCR. Assigned reading is for newbs. Hit up the supersecret unassigned reading 4 elite skorz.


And how do you go about hitting that up?

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am

Its secret bro

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 am

lawgod wrote:
DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts


The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.


Eh, I didn't read nearly this much. I used the supplements for stuff I didn't understand up front and then as a review closer to finals.

DC1L
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby DC1L » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)


Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:
DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)


Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.


Textbooks with a heavy math focus can be just as bad or worse. But yeah, shit goes slow. I think the 10 pages/hour estimate isn't too far off the mark for me.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Heartford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

ahduth wrote:
Heartford wrote:
lawgod wrote:
DC1L wrote:About how many pages of reading per week should I expect to get assigned during the first semester of 1L? Courses include:

legal rhetoric
torts
civ pro
contracts


The question is not the assigned reading- that everyone does.
The issue is the non-assigned reading. You should expect about 50-80 pages of non-assigned per night. And I'd read them all twice.


TITCR. Assigned reading is for newbs. Hit up the supersecret unassigned reading 4 elite skorz.


And how do you go about hitting that up?


1) Attend office hours
2) While attending office hours, remove pants
3) After removing pants, stand up and dance like a seal. Like, the marine mammal.
4) Point @ professor, right in the face, and scream, "I KNOW YOU GOTS MAH SECRET READINGZ!!!"
5)???
6) Leet skorz.

(Note: during steps 2 through 5, the professor might pretend to seem annoyed, shocked, or terrified. S/he might even pretend to call security. Don't let this deter you- it's all an act.)

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

LOL credited

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Cupidity wrote:
DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)


Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.


Jane Eyre?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
DC1L wrote:I had no idea this board had this many flamers. I guess some of you have nothing to do when school is out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)


Maybe 100 pages total per week. It usually runs about 5-15 pages per class, depending on the professor. Legal reading, if you are doing it right, is far slower than anything you've ever read.


Textbooks with a heavy math focus can be just as bad or worse. But yeah, shit goes slow. I think the 10 pages/hour estimate isn't too far off the mark for me.


You do get faster though. A key to doing well in law school is learning how to read opinions quickly. I blow through opinions now, probably "reading" hundreds of them a week at work. One key is that you can usually virtually ignore the facts, although it depends on the issues. The facts are mostly stated in depth for procedural reasons and posterity. They're then restated more concisely and relevantly in the discussion.

Usually there's a number of points of law, all of which support the holding or holdings. I would basically scan for these, highlight them, and understand how they supported the holding/disposition (the ultimate application of the law to the facts that decides the case). I would write a one or two sentence summary of the facts in the margin next to the facts section in case I was cold called on that.

Some people also do very well using supplements. I pretty much exclusively did not use supplements. However, reading a supplement, or looking up the case on WestLaw and reading the headnotes under the Key Numbers that correspond to the relevant issues can be a good way to cut down on reading time. I would recommend against using supplements in a way that increases reading time, however. Supplements become most relevant when you're outlining, if at all.

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby downing » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:03 pm

1) Attend office hours
2) While attending office hours, remove pants
3) After removing pants, stand up and dance like a seal. Like, the marine mammal.
4) Point @ professor, right in the face, and scream, "I KNOW YOU GOTS MAH SECRET READINGZ!!!"
5)???
6) Leet skorz.

(Note: during steps 2 through 5, the professor might pretend to seem annoyed, shocked, or terrified. S/he might even pretend to call security. Don't let this deter you- it's all an act.)


rofl
I don't know why but that was really funny.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How many pgs of assigned reading can I expect per week in 1L

Postby Borhas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Bronte wrote:Probably around 150-250 pages a week.

sounds about right




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YANGYUEYU0817 and 4 guests