Hornbooks, Primers, and Commercial Outlines, oh my!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tiggaplease

Hornbooks, Primers, and Commercial Outlines, oh my!

Postby tiggaplease » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 pm

So I'm reading Planet Law School II, am starting at UW Law in September, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all this prep I'm being told to do and all these books besides what the class tells me to get.

Can you guys give me a run down on hornbooks, primers, and commercial outlines? What's the difference between the three? How important is it that I be reading primers before I start school? How essential are commercial outlines?

I want to get ahead this first year as much as I can... am I over-thinking it all?

lawgod

Re: Hornbooks, Primers, and Commercial Outlines, oh my!

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Snort.

No commercial outlines. Get from a previous class- it'll be for your class, not for a generic class.
Get a hornbook for courses you are finding difficult. And read it when you think you need it. Or just borrow from the school's library.
I don't know what a primer is.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I was just about to post the same thread. I am totally confused what these things are and how they are different.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:57 pm

don't waste your time or money....it won't make a difference

if you want to get ahead, befriend as many 2L's (who took the same profs you'll have) when you get to school in the fall

then ask them for their outlines......you can also try your school's outline bank if you have one

pretty much that's all you need....commercial outlines are a waste of time and money......they'll cover way more than you need and won't cover the stuff you need in as much depth as your prof is potentially gonna want

my best advice for you is to use old outlines in conjunction with your class notes to study for exams.....then go to your profs office hours as much as possible to make sure you have mastery of the subject matter

after that the only thing you need to worry about if writing a good exam and knowing what your prof is looking for on the exam.......at the end of the day, everyone will know the black letter law..........the way you distinguish yourself on the exam is to write the answer in the manner that your prof is looking for.......check old exams and model answers if they are available

NOTE: this advice is coming from a guy who got top 5% and law review at CLS as a 1L

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:NOTE: this advice is coming from a guy who got top 5% and law review at CLS as a 1L

Yes, but what did he get as a 2L? I hear that is what counts.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 pm

tiggaplease wrote:Can you guys give me a run down on hornbooks, primers, and commercial outlines?

jaydizzle wrote:I was just about to post the same thread. I am totally confused what these things are and how they are different.

There's already a giant sticky thread in which every possible question about supplements has already been asked and answered.

Return to “Law School FAQ”