Tie for Orientation?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Tie for Photo/Orientation

Yes, a tie is mandatory for ALL of orientation
14%
Yes, wear a tie for the photo and first day
8%
Can't hurt, but not necessary
7%
No, you'll look like a douche
71%

Total votes: 87

thesealocust

Re: Tie for Orientation?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 pm

dailygrind, that image is incredible. Also I image searched for like 5 minutes and failed to find a single pic of a person with multiple ties, so that is like double props.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:36 pm

marija wrote:
Bronte wrote:Let's stop with the how should I dress in law school threads. You guys have bigger things to worry about.

Like what the most reliable highlighter brand is, or what font you should use for briefs and outlines.

Like chilling the fuck out.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:22 am

thesealocust wrote:Question isn't whether or not you should wear a tie, it's how many ties you should wear. You really going to let people have a jump on you on day 1?

Simultaneously or in series?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 am

I wanted to look nice for the photo, since it goes to all the employers at OCI. I wore a dress shirt with rolled up sleeves and jeans, pretty casual, and a sportscoat. Second the photo was over, I threw the coat in my locker. . . I only looked like a douche for about 10 minutes.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 am

Bronte wrote:
marija wrote:
Bronte wrote:Let's stop with the how should I dress in law school threads. You guys have bigger things to worry about.

Like what the most reliable highlighter brand is, or what font you should use for briefs and outlines.

Sharpie Highlighter / Garamond

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

Hippononymous wrote:
luthersloan wrote:What kind of TTT school makes you all wear the same tea shirt to an event? Is it a law school or a boy scout camp?

We're making and delivering blankets to kids with cancer...

You're right. Totally TTT.

I didn't realize that law school orientation was supposed to function the same way as a summer camp.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:
luthersloan wrote:What kind of TTT school makes you all wear the same tea shirt to an event? Is it a law school or a boy scout camp?

I didn't realize that law school orientation was supposed to function the same way as a summer camp.

I didn't realize law students shouldn't be expected to help out the less fortunate.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 am

Hippononymous wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:

I didn't realize law students shouldn't be expected to help out the less fortunate.

Biglaw or bust d00d. Biglaw lawyers don't give a shit about the little guy.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Bronte wrote:
marija wrote:

Sharpie Highlighter / Garamond

Garamond is solid, though I feel that Palatino Linotype brings a nice level of refinement without being overly pretentious within the Serif realm. It really embodies the greatness of the Renaissance and you feel the antiquity flowing through such a great a noble font.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Hippononymous wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:

I'm all for volunteering but I don't want to pay 6 figs to do it

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Hippononymous wrote:I'm reviewing my orientation schedule, and it has come to my attention that student photos are taken the first day. Should I wear a tie? FWIW, orientation runs 4 days, one of which is a "Community Day" for which we are required to wear a designated t-shirt.

if i remember right, you're going to UW. nobody wore a tie the first day except the SUPER GUNNERLOL who wore a three piece suit. please, pretty please, don't be that guy.

i wore a polo shirt and khakis and fit in fine. if anything i was better dressed than most. if you want to wear a button down shirt, fine, but seriously, unless things have changed it says something in the orientation materials about the dress code being casual. listen to that.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:44 pm

also re: the discussion of service day it was ridiculous. i don't have any problem with law students helping the community, but the fact that i went to a nursing home and helped a rich old people retirement home clean windows and vacuum floors so that new residents could move into their rooms that were nicer than any apartment i have ever lived in by far was stupid and far far beyond the scope of anything that should be meaningfully called "service."

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm

crossarmant wrote:Garamond is solid, though I feel that Palatino Linotype brings a nice level of refinement without being overly pretentious within the Serif realm. It really embodies the greatness of the Renaissance and you feel the antiquity flowing through such a great a noble font.

TITCR

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Why stop at a tie?

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:56 pm

tww909 wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:I'm reviewing my orientation schedule, and it has come to my attention that student photos are taken the first day. Should I wear a tie? FWIW, orientation runs 4 days, one of which is a "Community Day" for which we are required to wear a designated t-shirt.

if i remember right, you're going to UW. nobody wore a tie the first day except the SUPER GUNNERLOL who wore a three piece suit. please, pretty please, don't be that guy.

i wore a polo shirt and khakis and fit in fine. if anything i was better dressed than most. if you want to wear a button down shirt, fine, but seriously, unless things have changed it says something in the orientation materials about the dress code being casual. listen to that.

Thank you.

Fedorov91

Postby Fedorov91 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 pm

What are your thoughts on a polo with a tie - matching of course.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Fedorov91 wrote:What are your thoughts on a polo with a tie - matching of course.

I'd sooner try to take a rectal temperature on myself with a broken glass thermometer.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Fedorov91 wrote:What are your thoughts on a polo with a tie - matching of course.

How do you match a tie with a polo?

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

tww909 wrote:also re: the discussion of service day it was ridiculous. i don't have any problem with law students helping the community, but the fact that i went to a nursing home and helped a rich old people retirement home clean windows and vacuum floors so that new residents could move into their rooms that were nicer than any apartment i have ever lived in by far was stupid and far far beyond the scope of anything that should be meaningfully called "service."

God bless you and your 'tar, sir.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:
tww909 wrote:also re: the discussion of service day it was ridiculous. i don't have any problem with law students helping the community, but the fact that i went to a nursing home and helped a rich old people retirement home clean windows and vacuum floors so that new residents could move into their rooms that were nicer than any apartment i have ever lived in by far was stupid and far far beyond the scope of anything that should be meaningfully called "service."

God bless you and your 'tar, sir.

believe me, the feeling is mutual

Return to “Law School FAQ”