Entrepreneurial and Small Business Law

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
meatball122

Entrepreneurial and Small Business Law

Postby meatball122 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:26 am

Is there a such thing as entrepreneurial or small business law? That is, a field that revolves around assisting new business obtain licensing/permits and financing, business formation, governance, etc? Obviously there are courses and clinics in LS. But what about career wise? I doubt BigLaw has an entrepreneur/small biz law department, but what about mid-law, etc?

It seems like an interesting field. Plus, as someone who intends to open a business, it may be a nice way to get my foot in the door of entrepreneuringinging.

ran12

Re: Entrepreneurial and Small Business Law

Postby ran12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Most small law firms deal with that kind of stuff. It's pretty basic for the most part and questionable to a degree as to whether a lawyer is actually necessary to complete the creation of a small business.

Biglaw deals with companies that might start small but will potentially get bigger. Such as a biotech. Many biotechs start with a dozen or so people so are considered small business but they know that they could really expand fast so they usually have bigger firms taking care of their legally related issues in anticipation of road show set up with i-banks, IPO,etc. This is what's called corporate law.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:06 pm

meatball122 wrote:Is there a such thing as entrepreneurial or small business law? That is, a field that revolves around assisting new business obtain licensing/permits and financing, business formation, governance, etc? Obviously there are courses and clinics in LS. But what about career wise? I doubt BigLaw has an entrepreneur/small biz law department, but what about mid-law, etc?

It seems like an interesting field. Plus, as someone who intends to open a business, it may be a nice way to get my foot in the door of entrepreneuringinging.

Yes there is. Depending on where you work, a lot of the work will be with tech start ups.

meatball122

Postby meatball122 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Knock wrote:
meatball122 wrote:Is there a such thing as entrepreneurial or small business law? That is, a field that revolves around assisting new business obtain licensing/permits and financing, business formation, governance, etc? Obviously there are courses and clinics in LS. But what about career wise? I doubt BigLaw has an entrepreneur/small biz law department, but what about mid-law, etc?

Yes there is. Depending on where you work, a lot of the work will be with tech start ups.

That sounds San Francisco-y-ish. But that's probably a naive view.

Seems like a very interesting field. NU and Stanford seem to have a variety of ways to study this field.

Any other comments about this?

Return to “Law School FAQ”