Report girl for using her westlaw for work purposes?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Wade LeBosh

Re: Report girl for using her westlaw for work purposes?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:36 pm

You're going about this the wrong way. Blackmail her and the law firm for a job. If you're going to be a gaping asshole you should at least benefit from it in some way.

Shasha Dew Dew

Postby Shasha Dew Dew » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 pm

MrAnon wrote:Yes you are absolutely obligated to report under the school's honor code. In fact, if you do not report then I am obligated to report you for not reporting.

:wink:

Love it.

I agree, that now I will be forced to report on you, if you do not report on OP for not reporting on the girl she over heard stating she is abusing WestLaw services!!

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:You're going about this the wrong way. Blackmail her and the law firm for a job. If you're going to be a gaping asshole you should at least benefit from it in some way.

:lol: This is the best thing I've read on TLS today.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 pm

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:You should make a poll. The options should be:

1) Be a dick and report her

2) Mind my own fucking business, and worry about how I'll pay off the six figure debt I accumulated at Fordham.

LOL you think I've accumulated 6 fig debt? 1st year=0 debt. At MOST when I graduate less than $20k debt.

Not to totally blow up Bronx Bum's spot.... But please see this post from a previous thread.

"Chose Fordham basically sticker last year. Going into 2L...worst mistake I've ever made in my entire life. I has put me back significantly and I dread waking up each morning."

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160033

Oh Bronx Bum... You are the worst.

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 pm

I don't think you're being a dick.

Even so, if you are seriously considering reporting her I would first confront her about it. Maybe her attitude will be: "OMG, I can't believe I didn't think about that!" You never know. Always assume that everyone involved has innocent motives and move forward from there.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:34 pm

It's actually not an uncommon thing. I even had a student ambassador at a formal open house encouragingly tell my group that law students are attractive to some small firms because they have free westlaw usage. Said this in front of the admissions dean. No one gave a fuck or acted like it was taboo.
Also, OP seems like a horse twat more than a dick.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 pm

FYI --

http://tjsllibrary.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -use-only/

Westlaw and Lexis are aware that not all law firms have access to their databases. As such, they monitor student accounts during the Summertime. They are looking for unusual patterns of search, such as:

Searching for items that are more commonly looked for by practicing attorneys than by law students.
Searching from a law firm’s IP address.
Warehousing material, that is, downloading and saving many items.

If students are found exhibiting these types of behaviors which give the appearance of misconduct, they will be investigated and charges may be brought against them. In addition, the California State Bar Association will be informed of the student’s violation of their user agreement and this may be grounds for refusal of admission to the California State Bar for unethical, illegal behavior.

I don't know how serious of a threat this is, but OP, you might be doing the girl a favor by privately confronting her. Or at least anonymously send her a printout of the warning.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:05 pm

deadhipsters wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

2) Mind my own fucking business, and worry about how I'll pay off the six figure debt I accumulated at Fordham.

LOL you think I've accumulated 6 fig debt? 1st year=0 debt. At MOST when I graduate less than $20k debt.

Not to totally blow up Bronx Bum's spot.... But please see this post from a previous thread.

"Chose Fordham basically sticker last year. Going into 2L...worst mistake I've ever made in my entire life. I has put me back significantly and I dread waking up each morning."

Where in God's fuckin name did I say I took out loans? I dread that people like you will work in this "profession" citing irrelevant things to prove some point.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
deadhipsters wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

Where in God's fuckin name did I say I took out loans? I dread that people like you will work in this "profession" citing irrelevant things to prove some point.

They made the assumption that you had to take out loans to pay for the tuition. They missed that you may have had savings of your own or mommy and daddy helped you out. Based on your social awkwardness, I'm guessing it's the latter.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 pm

OP sounds like she has a massive, butt-fucked debt situation. A part of me feels for her, because Lord knows that $100,000+ worth of loans unresolved sexual favors coming out of Fordham is not an easy thing to deal with.
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I think you should report her.

Westlaw charges are part of legal costs, and higher legal costs hurts the legal market. When her firm doesn't pay their share, it raises costs for all other firms, and makes them less profitable, and less able to hire us.

She is the reason you will not get a job at OCI.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the OP should report her?

Yup.

lawgod wrote:I am a moron and wrong

Also agree with this. [FN1]

thesealocust wrote: I am belligerently drunk and will FIGHT YOU.

Oh yeah?! COME AT ME, BRO.

[FN1] read: sarcasm? WHERE WE'RE GOING,[FN2] WE CAN'T DETECT SARCASM.

[FN2] Drinking
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 pm

thesealocust wrote: I do not pick up sarcasm well.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 pm

lawgod wrote:
thesealocust wrote: I do not pick up sarcasm well.

Explained by

thesealocust wrote:
lawgod wrote:I am a moron and wrong

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 pm

lawgod wrote:
thesealocust wrote: YOU CAN'T BREATHALIZE ME IF I HAVE NO FACE

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:26 pm

sunynp wrote:You're going to report her - someone you barely know - based on something she mentioned to you? How do you know she is even telling you the truth? Do NOT do this. You have no obligation here. Just worry about your own life.

Not that I have an opinion on the matter, but you shouldn't brag about something that you just made up. I learned the hard way when I bragged about stealing a computer in middle school. I didn't do it, but I got in trouble for it. Not that they're perfectly analogous. If someone tells me that someone ELSE cheated, I wouldn't report it, because they might have dubious motives. But if someone tells me that they themselves cheated, why shouldn't I take that at face value and report them?

On the other hand, I'm all for honesty and cheaters getting their comeuppance, but I don't like the idea of living in a society where people are willing or even eager to sell people out at the slightest whiff of anything.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
sunynp wrote:You're going to report her - someone you barely know - based on something she mentioned to you? How do you know she is even telling you the truth? Do NOT do this. You have no obligation here. Just worry about your own life.

Not that I have an opinion on the matter, but you shouldn't brag about something that you just made up. I learned the hard way when I bragged about stealing a computer in middle school. I didn't do it, but I got in trouble for it. Not that they're perfectly analogous. If someone tells me that someone ELSE cheated, I wouldn't report it, because they might have dubious motives. But if someone tells me that they themselves cheated, why shouldn't I take that at face value and report them?

On the other hand, I'm all for honesty and cheaters getting their comeuppance, but I don't like the idea of living in a society where people are willing or even eager to sell people out at the slightest whiff of anything.

I killed elvis.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I wonder if OP saw the movie Gone Baby Gone? I thought it presented a situation like this really well. That is, it asks the question, if something is ethical does that make it just?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I wonder if OP saw the movie Gone Baby Gone? I thought it presented a situation like this really well. That is, it asks the question, if something is ethical does that make it just?

What the fuck was ethical about what happened in Gone Baby Gone?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:34 pm

lawgod wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

I killed elvis.

I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll. I obviously meant something legitimate, like "I totally used a crib sheet on that final." I saw a guy using a crib sheet at a final in undergrad and confidentially reported him. I dunno if he got in trouble but I slept like a baby. I probably wouldn't have done so if he had merely told me though because I wouldn't know how many other people he told and I have a nice face and want to keep it that way.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:I wonder if OP saw the movie Gone Baby Gone? I thought it presented a situation like this really well. That is, it asks the question, if something is ethical does that make it just?

I'm talking about the decision Casey Affleck's character made to turn in Morgan Freeman's character for kidnapping the little girl. The result was that she (the little girl) was ultimately taken away from a loving and nurturing home (with Freeman's character) and returned to her no-count mother.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Big deal. I was the first.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:44 pm

lawgod wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Big deal. I was the first.

You are a god!

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I'm talking about the decision Casey Affleck's character made to turn in Morgan Freeman's character for kidnapping the little girl. The result was that she (the little girl) was ultimately taken away from a loving and nurturing home (with Freeman's character) and returned to her no-count mother.

srs? not srs?

Return to “Law School FAQ”