NJ and NY do they have different BAR exams?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hansun

NJ and NY do they have different BAR exams?

Postby hansun » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 am

i'm just wondering

sunynp

Re: NJ and NY do they have different BAR exams?

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 am

Are they different states?

The answer is "yes."

bleern031

Postby bleern031 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:12 am

You're either a troll or a high school to really questionable college student with a New Jersey residency.
But to answer your question, obviously yes. Same reason why Connecticut and New York have different bar exams (Yes, they're close to each other as well).

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Yes, but you can take both at the same time by doing an extra day.

bleern031

Postby bleern031 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm

nealric wrote:Yes, but you can take both at the same time by doing an extra day.

I did not know this. Can you elaborate? Also add in some information regarding the difficulty.

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm

I did not know this. Can you elaborate? Also add in some information regarding the difficulty.

I took both at the "same" time. The thing that sucks if if you're not a NY state resident, you have to sit the NY bar'zam in Albany.

I rented a motel in Albany, took NY essays on day one, then took MBE in Albany on day two. Right after MBE I drove about 6 hours back to Morristown, NJ and slept in my car at the NJ testing site. Then went in, washed up in the bathroom/brushed teeth, and took the NJ essays.

You could/can take the MBE in either NY or NJ, but it just seemed easier to get it done in Albany and then drive to NJ for their essays. Some people came back to NJ for the MBE, it's really up to your personal choice.

(BTW I was really broke at the time and stayed in a really crappy Clarion motel in Albany (of course the rates are all very high b/c of the bar'zam being there on those days). They were doing night work re-grading and paving the highway right outside my window, so sleep wasn't really an option. There was a machine grinding up/milling the highway and huge halogen worklights making my room pretty bright, so that to sleep you'd need to wear a welder's helmet. So around 1 am I went to the crappy motel dive bar and this crew of German LLM doods were down there partying balls out. They spoke hardly any English and said their company paid them to come take the NY bar every July and Feb. They'd all failed it like 10 years in a row, and pretty much treated it like a mini-vacation. Si I drank with them until about 4 am, ate an early breakfast, and took a 6 am van from the motel to the Pepsi Arena where the NY Bar is held. I slept a bit on a bench in the lobby until one of my law school buddies came & woke me up).

Then a few weeks later I got hired for my first "law" job at Paul Weiss as a doc review temp for $21 an hour. Once I got results in Nov. (passed NY & NJ both- yippie!) I got a gig in the SullCrom basement as a temp for $32 an hour since now I was "admitted" (SullCrom does not hire anyone not admitted to at least one state bar).

You see, in NJ you get an oath card with your bar results (if you pass.) You swear the oath & sign same before any NJ notary and voila!- you're admitted the minute you drop that puppy in the mailbox!

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm

areyouinsane wrote:I rented a motel in Albany, took NY essays on day one, then took MBE in Albany on day two. Right after MBE I drove about 6 hours back to Morristown, NJ and slept in my car at the NJ testing site. Then went in, washed up in the bathroom/brushed teeth, and took the NJ essays.

If it took you six hours to go from Albany to Morristown, you're doing it wrong...

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Non NY-residents can now take it in NYC if they are quick on the draw with picking test sites. I took it in NYC as a non-NY resident.

bleern031

Postby bleern031 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 am

areyouinsane wrote:

I took both at the "same" time. The thing that sucks if if you're not a NY state resident, you have to sit the NY bar'zam in Albany.

I rented a motel in Albany, took NY essays on day one, then took MBE in Albany on day two. Right after MBE I drove about 6 hours back to Morristown, NJ and slept in my car at the NJ testing site. Then went in, washed up in the bathroom/brushed teeth, and took the NJ essays.

You could/can take the MBE in either NY or NJ, but it just seemed easier to get it done in Albany and then drive to NJ for their essays. Some people came back to NJ for the MBE, it's really up to your personal choice.

(BTW I was really broke at the time and stayed in a really crappy Clarion motel in Albany (of course the rates are all very high b/c of the bar'zam being there on those days). They were doing night work re-grading and paving the highway right outside my window, so sleep wasn't really an option. There was a machine grinding up/milling the highway and huge halogen worklights making my room pretty bright, so that to sleep you'd need to wear a welder's helmet. So around 1 am I went to the crappy motel dive bar and this crew of German LLM doods were down there partying balls out. They spoke hardly any English and said their company paid them to come take the NY bar every July and Feb. They'd all failed it like 10 years in a row, and pretty much treated it like a mini-vacation. Si I drank with them until about 4 am, ate an early breakfast, and took a 6 am van from the motel to the Pepsi Arena where the NY Bar is held. I slept a bit on a bench in the lobby until one of my law school buddies came & woke me up).

Then a few weeks later I got hired for my first "law" job at Paul Weiss as a doc review temp for $21 an hour. Once I got results in Nov. (passed NY & NJ both- yippie!) I got a gig in the SullCrom basement as a temp for $32 an hour since now I was "admitted" (SullCrom does not hire anyone not admitted to at least one state bar).

You see, in NJ you get an oath card with your bar results (if you pass.) You swear the oath & sign same before any NJ notary and voila!- you're admitted the minute you drop that puppy in the mailbox!

Thank you.

Return to “Law School FAQ”