How are you spending your time until 1L.....

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
redfern86

Re: How are you spending your time until 1L.....

Postby redfern86 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 am

Naked Dude wrote:Putting off finishing LEEWS and GTM for another week. Making a master list of all the stuff I need for the apartment and the logistics the operation entails. Contacting family near DC to make pre-semester plans. Perusing TLS for study tips, cleaning up my laptop, working on my typing speed. And most of all psyching up. Persecution complex helps, also a chip on your shoulder and feeling like you have something to prove.

+100

mths

Postby mths » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Come August 23rd I'm going to be all up in Forum for Law School Students and Legal Employment.

I'd stay the fuck out till we're done with OCIs...

dafullwood0624

Postby dafullwood0624 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 am

I have been working my butt off because housing in DC is super expensive and I had to pay my first months rent before my refund comes through. Other than that randomly reading TLS posts and reading books I enjoy. Moving next week, not working after that, decorating my new house and relaxing and going out for drinks. Eventually I will read GTM but I dont really see the point in reading something that you cant apply until a month from now.

LawReader

Postby LawReader » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Quit the job earlier this year. Traveling around as much as I can, since I probably won't get as much of a chance to the next few years.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Spending every day in the law library studying for and taking the CPA exam. It sucks

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Already read GTM and A Civil Whatever (it was good, but I can't remember the title). Read part of an E&E a 2L gave me. It was enough to convince me it would be a total waste of time to read a bunch now- they'll work better if I am actually taking the class and can reference.

Now I am working on getting my new student ID, getting sick at work a lot, updating my financial aid with the school, taking the introductory seminars offered by my school, reading good books (looking forward to dance of dragons), putting in a dog run, cleaning my house, playing video games, occasionally showing up to work, and generally trying to distract myself to keep myself from vomiting over the anxiety.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Read GTM and Law School Confidential. Skimming through Planet Law School since half of it is tangents and rants anyways. Working. Figuring out the logistics of moving and buying things for my apartment. Watching way too much Netflix.

Also, fell off a horse and got a concussion last week - I hear that is GREAT preparation.

liltay357

Postby liltay357 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Basically sh!t gets real in the upcoming weeks. Trying not to stress too much before then. However just found out I will be in law preview classes at 7:30AM. WTF, Not a morning person pretty much have to get up at 6AM and that alone is scary.(I will put on my big girl cap and suck it up). Secretly praying nightly to get into our second section which starts at noon once school starts. I wont know until orientation.

Anywho, I hope everyone enjoys themselves and their loved ones now while they can. :lol:

Voltaire

Postby Voltaire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Working a shitty job. I also did LEEWS, but only so I could bask in his top 1/3 guarantee. That should be enough to hold me until I get median pwn3d at a T2 I'm way overqualified for.

Then I plan to become a regular contributor to JDU.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Livin' it up with the boats and hoes.

Though in all honesty, I'm working a ho-hum job and going to the library, reading a bunch E&Es, Getting to Maybe, and Law School Confidential. Debating on ordering LEEWS. Oh and playing the piss out of Dragon Age and drinking some cheap white wines.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Working every day of the week.

ohmylord

Postby ohmylord » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Can anyone recommend some essential reading for before law school? I don't want to fall behind and would like a leg up since I'm unemployed this summer.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 pm

dafullwood0624 wrote:I have been working my butt off because housing in DC is super expensive and I had to pay my first months rent before my refund comes through. Other than that randomly reading TLS posts and reading books I enjoy. Moving next week, not working after that, decorating my new house and relaxing and going out for drinks. Eventually I will read GTM but I dont really see the point in reading something that you cant apply until a month from now.

I'm going to be in DC too...have you decided to stay in the city?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Working every day of the week.

This. Landscaping 5/6 days of the week doing manual labor and being paid almost nothing in return :x

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 pm

quitting my job in a few days and trying to finish GTM, only about half way through with it. Also wondering if the advice for doing well in law school is different for someone going to a TTT since alot of people here say professors there like to apply BLL more than other schools.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Working. Gym.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 pm

kapital98 wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Working every day of the week.

This. Landscaping 5/6 days of the week doing manual labor and being paid almost nothing in return :x

this is my job! it is the perfect motivation for doing well. Im brining my work shoes with me for when i want to be lazy but need a kcik i nthe pants.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Quit my job...

I have a lot of time on my hands so I read:

GTM
Law School Confidential
1L of a Ride
and three John Grisham novels

I did LEEWS

I may have also gone through a couple E&Es

I have run out of stuff to do so I am drinking a ton until school starts. I think I earned it.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 pm

mths wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Come August 23rd I'm going to be all up in Forum for Law School Students and Legal Employment.

I'd stay the fuck out till we're done with OCIs...

The world must know my opinion on SullCrom.

ladylegale

Postby ladylegale » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Reading Law School confidential, finishing off my last few days of work, and trying to move

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I am also planning to watch the original Rocky... That movie is very inspirational if you are about to get the s#!^ kicked out of you, physically or mentally and need to just keep plugging along.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:Playing old Final Fantasy games in Japanese and eating Chinese.

Not sure you entirely nailed it, but you get points for trying.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 am

Shit summer went fast...

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:07 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Shit summer went fast...

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Just got my wisdom teeth out, have one more week of work, then I'm moving out the second week of August. I've done no 0L prep, but tried to work out enough to feel my best going into 1L. I've also worked a job I hate: waiting tables. Being a lawyer could not possibly be worse. Saturday night I worked 11 hours on my feet, dealing with needy people-- I made good money, but it was hard work.

Back to 1L... For me, it's all mental; I'll spend a week with my fiancee and a week for orientation--- during that time I'll put into writing my gameplan compiled from TLS. But my typing speed is already excellent, and I'll have all the necessary materials and supplements. When it classes start it will simply be a matter of putting in the time, taking it all in from my prof's and older students, and studying/preparing in the most effective fashion. All of which I am totally prepared to do. Because let's face it, do our professional lives not depend on it?

Beyond 1L is where I have little concrete game plans. But that is research for another day-- 1L grades are my focus right now (notwithstanding resumes and cover letters for 1L summer).

Return to “Law School FAQ”