What should I buy or shouldn't buy for my first semester?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
glitched

What should I buy or shouldn't buy for my first semester?

Postby glitched » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:05 pm

I've heard a few things here and there about what I should or shouldn't buy for my all-important first year, and I just kinda wanted to get things cleared up. For reasons most of you will understand, I am trying to keep my budget as tight as possible while I am in school.

So what things should I buy new, buy used, or find free somewhere someplace? I've read somewhere that you shouldn't even buy the main course books bc they are all available online somewhere, or I won't ever be using them so there is no point in buying them.

Here is my list:
Books - used
Outlines - free
Supplements - new
Food - used

JaLeCa

Re: What should I buy or shouldn't buy for my first semester?

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 pm

glitched wrote:I've heard a few things here and there about what I should or shouldn't buy for my all-important first year, and I just kinda wanted to get things cleared up. For reasons most of you will understand, I am trying to keep my budget as tight as possible while I am in school.

So what things should I buy new, buy used, or find free somewhere someplace? I've read somewhere that you shouldn't even buy the main course books bc they are all available online somewhere, or I won't ever be using them so there is no point in buying them.

Here is my list:
Books - used
Outlines - free
Supplements - new
Food - used

I know a place

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm

glitched wrote:I've heard a few things here and there about what I should or shouldn't buy for my all-important first year, and I just kinda wanted to get things cleared up. For reasons most of you will understand, I am trying to keep my budget as tight as possible while I am in school.

Here is my list:
Books - used
Outlines - free
Supplements - new
Food - used

I would go with:

Books - new first semester, used second
Outlines - homemade
Supplements - used
Food - free (go to lots of Fed Society meetings, they always have the best food)

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

Here is my list:
Books - used
Outlines - free
Supplements - new
Food - used

I would go with:

Books - new first semester, used second
Outlines - homemade
Supplements - used
Food - free (go to lots of Fed Society meetings, they always have the best food)

haha nice. but i mean im looking for anything else beyond this list that you think would be useful or things that you bought that I should reconsider buying. im REALLLLY trying to fine tune my budget.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Oh IC

Get a George Foreman grill. I cook almost everything on this. Easy to resist the temptation to go out and spend money on food when you know you can have something delicious off the GF in like two minutes.

Also, resell all your books on Amazon at the end of the semester.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:when you know you can have something delicious off the GF in like two minutes.

Hmm. How to read this...

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:when you know you can have something delicious off the GF in like two minutes.

Hmm. How to read this...

I lol'd.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 pm

bk1 wrote:

Hmm. How to read this...

That too.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Let's not go completely well with EW

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Don't just blindly buy supplements, and I don't just mean buying well-recommended supplements. It is important to get a feel for the class and talk to the professor. In some classes, those who used quality supplements did poorly. For example, my Civil Procedure class (like most civ pro classes) was the standard fare, Pennoyer, Erie, the Rules and Res Judicata, I studied primarily out of a supplement and did well. My property exam, on the other hand, was wonky, strange, and completely unusual. It was based entirely off of lecture materials, and hand-outs. I read about 10 pages into a property supplement before I realized it would be utterly useless to me. Those who studied the traditional knowledge in supplements did poorly, while I rocked it based entirely on my own notes.

Also, never read another persons outline until you make your own. The best are never complete, and reading another persons first will give you tunnel vision and an incomplete grasp of the subject matter.

Return to “Law School FAQ”