Questions about clubs... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
firemed

Silver

Questions about clubs...

Post by firemed » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:09 am

So my school has like 50 clubs... not kidding.

I don't know exactly what kind of law I am interested in practicing... and so I would love to join the ones for healthcare law, criminal law, future litigators, and labor law... also a religious and non-traditional ones too.

But I also realize I need to, you know, study and stuff...

So here is my concern: How do I decide which clubs to join? I obviously can't join them all, but I don't want to not join one and later realize I should've because that is the kind of law I want to do and now I don't have the connections/resume-buffer that I would've had from 1L....

I know this is possibly a totally gunner question, but it has bugging me a little for months... and now I have to decide in just a few weeks what I am going to do.

HamDel

New

Re: Questions about clubs...

Post by HamDel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 am

I actually saw a pretty good video about this same question a while back. I think this was the one, couldn't actually watch it because I'm at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qm8PH4xAss&ob=av2e

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 am

HamDel wrote:I actually saw a pretty good video about this same question a while back. I think this was the one, couldn't actually watch it because I'm at work.

This would have been funnier if VEVO didn't have commercials. Still, kudos.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:03 am

HamDel wrote:I actually saw a pretty good video about this same question a while back. I think this was the one, couldn't actually watch it because I'm at work.

That was funny, but all the same I am actually asking for real advice if anyone feels like chiming in... even if it is to tell me that it doesn't matter what clubs I join. I just don't know enough about this to even know if this is worth being concerned about.

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:05 am

shoeshine wrote:

This would have been funnier if VEVO didn't have commercials. Still, kudos.
Sorry, I have adblock plus so I don't see ads on YouTube. I forgot you normals have that happen. I just saw something about 50 + club and assumed that's what the question was.

In all seriousness though I don't think you should worry too much. Pick something you think you're interested in and feel it out, there's no science here and no membership will make or break your future. Just pick things that you think you'll like learning about, no sense joining everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:56 am

In my experience, joining a club involves showing up to the first meeting of the year to eat pizza and vote for section reps, putting your email on the listserve, and the rest of the year just choosing which events to show up to. No real obligations for 1Ls, unless you want a more active role, in which case I'm sure the leadership would be happy to give you more responsibility, but mainly you put in what you want.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 am

firemed wrote: but all the same I am actually asking for real advice if anyone feels like chiming in... even if it is to tell me that it doesn't matter what clubs I join. I just don't know enough about this to even know if this is worth being concerned about.
From what I've seen it doesn't matter what clubs you join or if you join any at all. But I haven't been through OCI yet, so maybe I'm dead wrong. I wasn't in any clubs and I was still able to list 3 different things under law school. Maybe it would help for people without the best grades but who know what they want to do and who join the appropriate clubs to indicate their interest in that field.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am

I hate TLS sometimes.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 pm

You're going to want to go ahead and join the clubs with the best looking girls (or guys if you are a woman or gay). To me this is a no-brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:23 pm

I join a new club whenever I get hungry. I'm white and I'm a member of SALSA because they gave me curry. I'm also a member of LALSA because they gave me burritos. On another note, acronyms aside, SALSA should be the Mexican group, am I right people?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:On another note, acronyms aside, SALSA should be the Mexican group, am I right people?
Agreed. It's just confusing the way it is now.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:On another note, acronyms aside, SALSA should be the Mexican group, am I right people?
Wow, I got so much mail from the SALSA people. Like this extremely old school, official looking envelope from Yale. And it's some junk mail from their SALSA group. Seriously, I'm not applying to your law school, piss off.

I am going to have to hook up this free curry angle though.

quixotical

Bronze

Post by quixotical » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:You're going to want to go ahead and join the clubs with the best looking girls
I think I see why your name is Beaver Hunter...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 pm

bk187 wrote:

Ours is MALSA.

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 am

All you need is a 5 iron, a sand wedge and a putter, true story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”