Does the relationship between professor-student change in LS

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DC1L

Does the relationship between professor-student change in LS

Postby DC1L » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

I know at my undergrad, a T2, you could score some brownie points with some teachers by exhibiting hard work and more importantly, by being likeable. Can I expect the same treatment from law school professors? Or is it really strict?

dailygrind

Re: Does the relationship between professor-student change in LS

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 pm

You probably could, but 1) you gotta make sure you're not overdoing it because there are few things worse than the gunners who keep talking in class just to impress the professor...they are probably the most hated group at law school; 2) it's not going to help much with your grade.

DC1L

Postby DC1L » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

dailygrind wrote:You probably could, but 1) you gotta make sure you're not overdoing it because there are few things worse than the gunners who keep talking in class just to impress the professor...they are probably the most hated group at law school; 2) it's not going to help much with your grade.

Fuck the gunners. I'm talking about going to office hours.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

At my LS all grading is done anonymously, so having a good relationship with a professor wont help your grade that much, some give a grade bump for good class participation so you could get that. I know in UG if a prof likes you, you could get a better grade on a test just because they know it is your test. That doesn't happen in LS because the grading is anonymous.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:59 pm

DC1L wrote:
dailygrind wrote:You probably could, but 1) you gotta make sure you're not overdoing it because there are few things worse than the gunners who keep talking in class just to impress the professor...they are probably the most hated group at law school; 2) it's not going to help much with your grade.

Go to office hours and ask questions/schmooze. Grading is mostly anonymous so you won't be favored for it, but it will help you learn the material and get better grades. It will also help with (1) references, (2) recommendations, and (3) career advice

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:01 pm

DC1L wrote:

Yes, it is a lot like undergrad. Just make them like you and try to help them do something. There are, of course, those professors that think office hours and student interaction is a huge waste of their time. They are worthless to you.

Tip: don't be a time drain, even if they like you. Score the likability points and get out of their face. Some will play nice even when you are trampling their schedule.

DC1L

Postby DC1L » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the info

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
DC1L wrote:

Go to office hours and ask questions/schmooze. Grading is mostly anonymous so you won't be favored for it, but it will help you learn the material and get better grades. It will also help with (1) references, (2) recommendations, and (3) career advice

not so sure about helping learn the material (a lot of times, i'd walk out more confused than when i walked in), but for sure the 3 things you mentioned (assuming the professor actually enjoys your company when you do visit)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm

as soon as I started attending she stopped putting out, impropriety or some BS like that... so YES

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:35 pm

I think the advice about scoring some points without being annoying or too in their face is pretty golden. It will help you more down the line for getting jobs etc than for getting grades. Some professors are pretty well connected and if they like you they may put in a word for you with someone important.

Return to “Law School FAQ”