Alternative to Law School- Back Up Plans

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
arris

Alternative to Law School- Back Up Plans

Postby arris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right subforum for this question. I'm nearing the end of my undergrad career and have begun studying for the LSAT, familiarizing myself with admissions, reading here, internalizing LawSchoolTransparency, etc. I'd like to go to law school and become a lawyer, but only if I get into schools which would make practicing an outcome with a > 50/50 chance of occurring. I don't really have plans on what to do if I don't make it so I'm studying for the GRE as well.

I'm not incompetent in mathematics or hopeless in science, I especially like physics but chose to study economics because careers in the type of science I enjoy seemed even more limited and hyper-competitive than in the legal side of things.

If anyone else is in a similar boat, what are options you're considering "just in case"? Other professional degrees?
Thanks.

WSJ_Law

Re: Alternative to Law School- Back Up Plans

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Medical school/PhD/I-banking/Accounting/CFA/vet school/military/contracted manual labor/etc.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:35 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Medical school/PhD/I-banking/Accounting/CFA/vet school/military/contracted manual labor/etc.

If you think the legal job market is bad, try looking at the market for PhDs.
I-banking? Those jobs were hard to come by from good schools pre-ITE.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm

A solid option:

DELETED

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Plumber, Garbageman, Janitor are all superior options to being a lawyer because of high demand, low stress, and good wages. You'll make more than enough to feed your family, but people will look down on you, if that's something you care about.

Or if you need more "professional" type job, then you should go to nursing while you still can. There is a HUGE shortage of nurses, and that is a 100% guarantee of a job. You could finish dead last in your class and will still be hired.

Or for serious, you should forget law school and try to be a bus driver. See http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

One of my friends was a former bus driver for 30 years and made 120k his last four years. His pension is based on his last four years, so he's raking in 60k a year. He's 59 years old and plays golf every day. So take this for what its worth.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Or for serious, you should forget law school and try to be a bus driver. See http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

wow, great article. but i doubt the Teamsters can keep sucha sweet deal going now that Scott Walker is in office..

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:Medical school/PhD/I-banking/Accounting/CFA/vet school/military/contracted manual labor/etc.

If you think the legal job market is bad, try looking at the market for PhDs.
I-banking? Those jobs were hard to come by from good schools pre-ITE.

WGAF it was a stupid question i put down the first few things that came to mind and then added "Contracted Manual labor" for kicks

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Go to law school in Canada. Chances of getting a job at a big firm are very low even at top schools, but chances of getting a job are very good. Plus it's cheap and easier to get in.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 pm

careerbuilder.com
or you could be an LSAT teacher for Kaplan
Last edited by JamMasterJ on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:
Or if you need more "professional" type job, then you should go to nursing while you still can. There is a HUGE shortage of nurses, and that is a 100% guarantee of a job. You could finish dead last in your class and will still be hired.

Not true in certain parts of the country anymore. Talk with local nurses in advance.

PS. this is my backup plan

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Trequartista wrote:Go to law school in Canada. Chances of getting a job at a big firm are very low even at top schools, but chances of getting a job are very good. Plus it's cheap and easier to get in.

Not cheaper if you are getting a scholly anywhere in the US, or you are paying in-state... when you are there you are paying international student tuition which makes their schools 20-30K a year. Also they are more selective in certain ways.

Had to turn down Dalhousie because I had a better deal here, still wonder if I made the right choice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Annual law school tuition averages about $12,000 in Canada. Toronto & Osgoode Hall are the most expensive at about $26,000 & $19,000 per year respectively. Dalhousie is still under $13,000 a year, I believe. Better job prospects.

@firemed: New Mexico is a great deal, however, for residents wishing to remain in-state. Tiotion, fees & books probably cost about $16,000 a year---maybe a bit less.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Annual law school tuition averages about $12,000 in Canada. Toronto & Osgoode Hall are the most expensive at about $26,000 & $19,000 per year respectively. Dalhousie is still under $13,000 a year, I believe. Better job prospects.

If you are canadian, yes. If you are a US citizen, then- ie. Dalhousie- jumps from 13K to 23K a year.

ETA: and the debt is non-dischargeable like it is if you stay here because you aren't doing PI in the US.... US Dept of Ed could care less that you are helping out indigents in America's hat.... and you aren't coming back here, realistically. So there you are, paying $1200 a month in student loan payments, making $2500 a month take home canadian.... and praying and hoping the exchange rate doesn't change, because if it does- you are effffffffeeed

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

International tuition is double at some Canadian law schools. Not sure if all Canadian law schools have international tuition rates, although it does make sense that most would.

P.S. McLeans shows international tuition rates at 10 Canadian law schools with 7, including Dalhousie University, listed as "unknown". International rates tend to be double domestic rates. Toronto, the most expensive Canadian law school, charges international students about $34,000 a year ($35,000 with the mandatory health plan)--which is approximately $9,000 above the domestic rate.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Backup is to pursue MPA/MPP for year at t10, then gain acceptance into said lawl school.

Backup backup is to turn MPA into PhD

Backup backup backup is POTUS

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:01 am

Nursing is only a good idea if 1) you actually want to be a nurse and you're not doing it for financial security, and 2) you go to a real nursing school. Unaccredited degree mills are making a serious fucking mint off of morons in my town.

Oh hey, you could start a nursing school. :D

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 am

If I lose my scholarship after 1L (meaning I'd be in the bottom 25% or so at GW), I'll almost definitely leave (no sense in taking out loans I won't have a shot in hell of paying back). If that happens (which I'm not planning on at all really), the only other thing I can think of doing is trying after a PhD in Political Science or Political Philosophy. Also, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't original.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am

If I fail my first year of law school, I'd probably quit. Enroll in a civil engineering bachelors program, finish it up in two years and work that path then. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though...

jdl239

Postby jdl239 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I know a guy that is an attendent for Amtrak. He leaves out of New Orleans on Monday Mornings waits on customers until they arrive in NYC on Tuesday afternoon. He has a two day lay over in NYC and gets a per diem and hotel room. Then leaves on Thursday Mornings and arrives back home in New Orleans Friday evening. He makes 50k/yr not counting all the per diem/tips he rakes in during the week. And he is on the railroad's retirment plan. I would serioulsy consider that job but you really have to enjoy being single and being on the road a lot. (although i am pretty sure at one point he was carrying on a relationship with women in both towns at the same time) LOL.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:25 pm

If I dont get the 170+ LSAT score I want, Im gonna load up on calculus (at least 2 semesters) and courses relevant to CS/CIS. I'll take the GRE at some point and apply to Comp Sci Masters programs. It wouldn't kill me to learn a practical skill.

Return to “Law School FAQ”