If you graduate early from Law school.....

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ringdabell

If you graduate early from Law school.....

Postby ringdabell » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 pm

say you graduate in 2.5 years - meaning you will be out in January.
How does getting a job work?
When you get an offer at the end of 2nd summer, can you set a date as to when you want to work?

In general, I would appreciate any advices on what kinds of plans are possible after 2.5 years of law school.
Thanks a lot in advance

thesealocust

Re: If you graduate early from Law school.....

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:21 pm

I am not aware of any law schools at which early* graduation is possible.

*I have heard of Northwestern's 2 year accelerated program, I have no idea how it works.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:24 pm

If you do summer start at Michigan, doesn't one typically graduate in December?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:24 pm

I think it'd be irrelevant because the timetables for beginning work at law firms is pretty standardized (few months after May to let you pass the bar and such).

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Most law schools require you to spend 6 semesters (not including summer) to graduate. Plus, most schools limit classes to 16 units or so per semester and require ~88 units to graduate.

Assuming you take 30 units your first year (fairly standard and no control over it) you would need to 58 units in the last two years. 3 semesters - 16x3 or 48 units. You would still need to take 10 units over summer. However, the school is unlikely to let you graduate with 88 units and 2.5 years UNLESS you are in a special accelerated 2 yr program.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:23 pm

I wanted to get some info on how jobs or other plans can possibly ensue IF i can graduate early.
Hence i dont think the subject of the discussion should be WHETHER I can or not.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, if it is in fact the case, then your question would be basically unanswerable because no one could have experience with in, since no one graduates in less then 3 years.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:I am not aware of any law schools at which early* graduation is possible.

*I have heard of Northwestern's 2 year accelerated program, I have no idea how it works.

CLS graduated a guy in two years. I think he was C/O 2008. Even more annoying is the fact that he was 20 at the time.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:32 pm

ringdabell wrote:I wanted to get some info on how jobs or other plans can possibly ensue IF i can graduate early.
Hence i dont think the subject of the discussion should be WHETHER I can or not.

The only people who graduate early are those in schools with accelerated programs. In my school and most schools I have looked into, it is impossible.

Graduating early won't help you much with any of the better jobs (big law, clerkships, federal jobs like doj/etc) because they have set recruiting cycles. If you graduate early enough to take the bar early, you can apply for smaller firm jobs/etc.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:33 pm

random5483 wrote:
ringdabell wrote:I wanted to get some info on how jobs or other plans can possibly ensue IF i can graduate early.

The only people who graduate early are those in schools with accelerated programs. In my school and most schools I have looked into, it is impossible.

Graduating early won't help you much with any of the better jobs (big law, clerkships, federal jobs like doj/etc) because they have set recruiting cycles. If you graduate early enough to take the bar early, you can apply for smaller firm jobs/etc.

The guy I just mentioned spent 2 years at Davis Polk.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:36 pm

kapachino wrote:
random5483 wrote:

The guy I just mentioned spent 2 years at Davis Polk.

I meant early as in 2.5 years as mentioned by the OP. A 2 yr grad from Columbia at 20 is bound to have some crazy opportunities.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Moxie wrote:If you do summer start at Michigan, doesn't one typically graduate in December?

I think summer starts just take 1 less class in the Fall and graduate with the rest of the class in May.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:51 pm

The ABA requires that your in school for 27 months from start to finish to receive a JD. Even the two year programs are 27 months, they just start early. Other people take summer classes and graduate early if their school will allow it.

As far as the OP's question goes, the legal market will largely depend on what you want to do. If you are hoping to work for a large firm I doubt you will get to start any earlier than those who graduate in may because they like to standardize their training. It's cheaper to do it all at once because all their orientation programming cannot be billed. I guess you could talk with the firm if you are a summer associate there, see how they feel about the idea. I imagine small firms may be more flexible at letting you start early, since their hiring is a more personal process. But unless you are able to take the bar earlier than the may graduates, you probably will not be getting full pay during the period of time before you take the bar because you have extended the period of work without a license by 5 months. Firms who pay full pay for the 3 months you don't have a license is one thing, I just can't imagine them doing it for 8.

cigarman

Postby cigarman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Its simple to graduate in 2 1/2 years at almost any school. Its called summer classes. The ABA allows up to 9 hours can be taken in the summer. It takes 90 hours generally to graduate.
Typically you take 15 hours a semester. Thus... If you take either 15 hours between your first year and second year summers you can graduate a semester early. OR, if you take 18 hours (the ABA maximum) in the regular semesters in year 2 and 3 you can speed things up. But you can't do that alone, since in your 1L year the school assigns your classes.
So between summers and 2nd and 3rd years you need to basically "find" 15 hours extra above the normal 15 hours to graduate in 2 1/2 years. Simple.
Not what happens after that? Well Feb bar exam to start. Then beats me. I'll find out since this is what i am doing.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, there is a tremendous amount of misinformation ITT (as usual). A lot of schools allow you to take summer classes and then there's the February bar.

legallyblondeDC

Postby legallyblondeDC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Did any of you actually do this? I'm a 2L now and considering it but I'm concerned about hiring. I live in DC and will probably get a federal job, but I'm not sure if they only recruit at certain times.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:54 pm

random5483 wrote:Most law schools require you to spend 6 semesters (not including summer) to graduate. Plus, most schools limit classes to 16 units or so per semester and require ~88 units to graduate.

Assuming you take 30 units your first year (fairly standard and no control over it) you would need to 58 units in the last two years. 3 semesters - 16x3 or 48 units. You would still need to take 10 units over summer. However, the school is unlikely to let you graduate with 88 units and 2.5 years UNLESS you are in a special accelerated 2 yr program.

Cardozo has very flexible programs, as does Southwestern. Very few TLSers apply to the latter.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 pm

As has been mentioned in this thread 2.5 years is doable at almost every school, it just isn't desirable.

Legal hiring follows a certain timeline which graduating early screws with - not only do you graduate at the wrong time of year, you forfeit summer opportunities.

Unless you have a guaranteed job lined up, or have some real and reasonable reason for finishing early, it is I'll-advised

Return to “Law School FAQ”