Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
blair22
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 am

Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby blair22 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 pm

I've lived in Miami my entire life, but want to attend law school in NYC. I think I eventually want to end up working at a law firm in Miami Beach.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

As long as "go to school in NYC" means "go to NYU or Columbia," then what's the problem?

If it means something else, you're asking for trouble.

blair22
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby blair22 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Renzo wrote:As long as "go to school in NYC" means "go to NYU or Columbia," then what's the problem?

If it means something else, you're asking for trouble.



How so?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Because the other schools in the city are all just as outrageously expensive, but don't offer the national reach and prestige that NYU and CLS offer. Fordham is a very good school, but no one outside of NYC knows that--and they've certainly never hear of Cardozo and the others. If you want to work in Fla., you can go to school cheaper there while making connections that might lead to a job (which is crucial)

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Renzo wrote:Because the other schools in the city are all just as outrageously expensive, but don't offer the national reach and prestige that NYU and CLS offer. Fordham is a very good school, but no one outside of NYC knows that--and they've certainly never hear of Cardozo and the others. If you want to work in Fla., you can go to school cheaper there while making connections that might lead to a job (which is crucial)


This, except the Florida schools thing. You're better off going to CN than any of the Florida schools. If you do go to a Florida school go to UF or else you're doing yourself a disadvantage. If you can get into Columbia/NYU you'll be set since you already have Miami connections. I think there are more law firms on Brickell than Miami Beach btw, but I could be incorrect.

I find it ironic that you're going to LS to return to Miami and I'm going to LS (in a small part) to escape it. To each his own I guess.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:17 pm

On this note, what other schools would you say are good bets for Miami Big Law? No one ever talks about this, but there are firms out there, and I can't imagine TT and TTT kids are getting much of the 160k work.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Renzo wrote:As long as "go to school in NYC" means "go to NYU or Columbia," then what's the problem?

If it means something else, you're asking for trouble.


Credited.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Renzo wrote:Because the other schools in the city are all just as outrageously expensive, but don't offer the national reach and prestige that NYU and CLS offer. Fordham is a very good school, but no one outside of NYC knows that--and they've certainly never hear of Cardozo and the others. If you want to work in Fla., you can go to school cheaper there while making connections that might lead to a job (which is crucial)


Exactly.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:On this note, what other schools would you say are good bets for Miami Big Law? No one ever talks about this, but there are firms out there, and I can't imagine TT and TTT kids are getting much of the 160k work.

bump

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:This, except the Florida schools thing. You're better off going to CN than any of the Florida schools.


I'm highly skeptical of this. Do you have evidence of this? (Not trying to be overly antagonistic, but I'm curious to see some evidence.)

Wade LeBosh wrote: If you do go to a Florida school go to UF or else you're doing yourself a disadvantage.


I definitely don't believe this, at least with respect to University of Miami, and I'm a UF student (who likes my school, FWIW). University of Miami does decently in its own market. As for the other FL schools, I agree.

User avatar
drays917
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby drays917 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Isn't this whole thread a moot point until we know what schools OP could feasibly get into? There isn't much point saying "you should go to Columbia" if, realistically, he's not going to be able to go to Columbia. Or on the other hand, I'm not going to say "U Miami will do I suppose" if he can do better.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:48 pm

drays917 wrote:Isn't this whole thread a moot point until we know what schools OP could feasibly get into? There isn't much point saying "you should go to Columbia" if, realistically, he's not going to be able to go to Columbia. Or on the other hand, I'm not going to say "U Miami will do I suppose" if he can do better.


I think that's pretty much exactly what I said.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:01 am

If OP means any firm in Miami, UF/UM (w/scholarship) would do nicely. FSU shouldn't be a factor and OP should only leave state to attend Vanderbilt+T14. You could argue Emory as well, but if the OP can get into Emory, OP would have a nice scholarship from UM and/or UF.

As stated above, any NYC schools outside the T14 aren't worth it.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:10 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If OP means any firm in Miami, UF/UM (w/scholarship) would do nicely. FSU shouldn't be a factor and OP should only leave state to attend Vanderbilt+T14. You could argue Emory as well, but if the OP can get into Emory, OP would have a nice scholarship from UM and/or UF.

As stated above, any NYC schools outside the T14 aren't worth it.


Word.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Has OP considered Miami University of Ohio. One guy has a home along a pond so it's kind of like going to Miami Beach.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Looking to do so fla big law as well. Looked at nalpdirectory, there are like maybe ~100 SA positions at NALP firms from tampa down. It is more then discouraging to realize even the bigger offices have SA classes of 9, 2, 3, 1 etc. Unless you are a t14 student or literally top of your class at UF, FSU, UM, (told by a Greenberg traurig partner they hired from top 1% at uf), your shot at so fla biglaw kinda sucks.
Last edited by dabbadon8 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:14 pm

on this note does UVA/Duke give an advantage over Michigan/Penn?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:25 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:on this note does UVA/Duke give an advantage over Michigan/Penn?


I think it might (very doubtfully) help if you don't have fl ties. If you do have ties I only think it could help you if more duke/uva grads happened to be at the firms you want. That could go the other way too, though I think it would be less likely for Mich/Penn in so fla. Looking at the composition of several biglaw fl offices recent SA classes there doesn't seem to be more students from those schools. It seems to be a smattering of t14 students and then I am sure top students from the FL schools. It doesn't appear like duke/uva have an advantage, though as an incoming duke 1L I hope I am wrong.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby random5483 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:25 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Looking to do so fla big law as well. Looked at nalpdirectory, there are like maybe ~100 SA positions at NALP firms from tampa down. It is more then discouraging to realize even the bigger offices have SA classes of 9, 2, 3, 1 etc. Unless you are a t14 student or literally top of your class at UF, FSU, UM, (told by a Greensburg traurig partner they hired from top 1% at uf), your shot at so fla biglaw kinda sucks.




Firms have different levels of selectivity. A UF student in the top 10% can get big law, but a UF student in the top 10% is not going to get into a V5 firm (not familiar with greensburg so can't comment there).


As others have mentioned, UF is your best choice unless you get into a national school (T14). Attending a NYC school, even one like Fordham, will make it difficult to transition back to a job in Florida. Getting a big law job in Florida with a Fordham degree is not impossible, but it will involve a lot of leg work and a high level of performance.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:09 pm

random5483 wrote: A UF student in the top 10% can get big law, but a UF student in the top 10% is not going to get into a V5 firm (not familiar with greensburg so can't comment there).


Just to be clear, a UF student in the top 10% can still get biglaw, but it's gotten much harder in this economy to do so. Most who have gotten it are in the top 5% and have significant journal experience.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:55 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:This, except the Florida schools thing. You're better off going to CN than any of the Florida schools.


I'm highly skeptical of this. Do you have evidence of this? (Not trying to be overly antagonistic, but I'm curious to see some evidence.)

Wade LeBosh wrote: If you do go to a Florida school go to UF or else you're doing yourself a disadvantage.


I definitely don't believe this, at least with respect to University of Miami, and I'm a UF student (who likes my school, FWIW). University of Miami does decently in its own market. As for the other FL schools, I agree.


I have no evidence, just the fact that Columbia and NYU place better than any school in FL. Top 10% of UF is not easy to get. NYU and Columbia carry nationally, unlike any of the Florida schools.

I personally know several severally underemployed UM grads living in Miami. Do you have any evidence that UM does well in its own market?

EDIT: Read this about UMs employment stats.

http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/2010/11/university-of-miami-law-school-pays.html

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby ahduth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Renzo wrote:As long as "go to school in NYC" means "go to NYU or Columbia," then what's the problem?

If it means something else, you're asking for trouble.


Yeah. Is Miami Beach different than Miami?

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:I have no evidence, just the fact that Columbia and NYU place better than any school in FL. Top 10% of UF is not easy to get. NYU and Columbia carry nationally, unlike any of the Florida schools.


Oh, I'm not disputing any of that above. I agree.


Wade LeBosh wrote:I personally know several severally underemployed UM grads living in Miami. Do you have any evidence that UM does well in its own market?

EDIT: Read this about UMs employment stats.

http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/2010/11/university-of-miami-law-school-pays.html


Off the top of my head, I do not have evidence/statistics, to be fair. However, I've seen threads on here and other forums discussing this, and I was honestly surprised that UM does decently in its home market (and actually does much better than UF outside of FL, which isn't too surprising, since there are many int'l law students, among other things). Also, I've seen that they are well-represented in "big" Miami firms. (But as a percentage of UM graduates, I don't know if UM does well.)

I will stress that someone should not go to UM without a significant scholarship. When I was applying to law schools, they gave me a 23k/year scholarship, with a contingency. It wasn't a hard GPA requirement to satisfy (IIRC, about 75%kept it), but if you lose it, you're paying (I think) 35k/year. That's way too much based on employment prospects.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
Renzo wrote:As long as "go to school in NYC" means "go to NYU or Columbia," then what's the problem?

If it means something else, you're asking for trouble.


Yeah. Is Miami Beach different than Miami?


The City of Miami Beach is in Miami-Dade County. So no, not really

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: Law school in NYC ---> Working in Miami Beach

Postby Kendi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 am

GatorStudent wrote:I was honestly surprised that UM does decently in its home market...


Back when I was thoroughly researching BigLaw I noticed numerous firms had offices in Miami. I checked their web sites and saw that many of their associates were UM grads. I never learned what the pay scale was but I figured it was less than the $160K everyone always mentions. On the other hand, with no state tax or NYC tax, $125K here is better than $160K up north.

While UM offered scholarship $, it was a bit disappointing since it it wasn’t much more than the T•10 schools, BUT, the COL here is far less compared to the big northern cities. The other big plus is that Miamians love UM.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest