Is it even possible for me? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Divalaw214

New

Is it even possible for me?

Post by Divalaw214 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm a newbie but I've been lurking around TLS for some time now and astonished by the amount of information I've gotten here (great stuff!) Maybe you guys can give me some advice:

I'm an "older" student who is currently working on completing undergrad. I began college ten years ago and ended up dropping out because I got pregnant. Returned to the University as a part time student, while working full time and doing quite well until my brother got into a lot of trouble. He was charged with first degree murder, ultimately tried for 2nd degree and currently serving his sentence. Going through that, while being a single parent took so much out of me and my grades suffered. I dropped out and worked full time. I am back in school now at the age of 28 and will be graduating next year. I've since co-founded a local non profit organization designed to match mentors to teenage girls in my area. I am an URM, now married with two kids and I've raised my GPA from a sickening 2.1 to 2.7 (expecting to get it to at least 3.0 by the time I graduate) Besides doing exceptionally well on the LSAT, what are some other suggestions you may have that can help me become a viable candidate for Law School? Should I think about joining some on campus organizations as well? Also, I am taking the LSAT in October- any study tips to help me smash this exam would be so greatly appreciated.

sn- my desire to become an attorney has nothing to do with my brother's situation, no "Conviction" type stuff going on here. :)

ran12

Silver

Re: Is it even possible for me?

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Joining campus orgs at this point is not going to help. The reason people join orgs is to demonstrate their ability to be leaders and make a contribution.

Your best bet is to use a diversity angle and talk about overcoming adversities to get a college education and why you want to be a lawyer. High LSAT is by far the best way to counter your low GPA so for now that should be your primary objective.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 pm

If you can craft your struggle into a PS well enough it should help, also with the non-profit it's a nice soft. Really study for the LSAT, but also make sure that this is indeed something you want to do. Too many people sign up for LS on a whim but wind up hating the work and blowing 6 figures in debt on it. If you can land a solid LSAT within the 160s you should be able to find a pretty decent school that's worthwhile. I know in my case, I had an abysmal GPA (2.3) but took additional undergraduate classes a year after I graduated in a legal studies program and got a 3.8, got my LoRs from those professors, and applied. I don't think I'd have had the same end results without the extra classes and LoRs, but with splits and extraneous circumstances it can be a real crap shoot with schools (As evidenced by getting rejected by T4s, but accepted with $ by T2s).

Cast your net wide, try for fee waivers, and really bust your ass on the LSAT. People with 2.4s are getting into UMinn with 167s, for example.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Also, do whatever you can to get that up to 3.0 or above. A lot of great schools won't go below 3.0, so if you can bust your butt and get your GPA above 3.0, you'll have a lot more opportunities.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Your LSAT will define where you can get in. Get it high enough, and even the T14 aren't all out of reach. I know a 2.7, non-URM, who got into a lower T-14 on the strength of an absolutely stellar LSAT.

There is a ton of really solid study advice in the LSAT forum here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Para's right. The difference between a 2.95 and 3.01 actually matters. It sounds silly, but at some point a lot of schools draw an arbitrary floor on numbers (whether LSAT or GPA) and will not go below it. Settle for nothing less than straight A's from now on. Then rock the LSAT.*

Also - make sure you're factoring in all the grades you've received in any post-secondary classes in that uGPA. Classes that you may have taken a decade ago at a different school that don't impact your college's gpa, will affect your LSAC GPA.

*of particular importance.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 pm

1. GPA at or above 3.0.
+
2. Good PS and Diversity Statements
+
3. URM
+
4. 165+ on LSAT
=
You in a decent law school, probably with scholly/significant need based aid.

ETA: it can be worth it to take some extra time before graduating with your BA/BS to up your GPA.

Divalaw214

New

Post by Divalaw214 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the info! I'm on it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”