Why does UChi have such a "serious" reputation?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lieut Kaffee

Re: Why does UChi have such a "serious" reputation?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I've only been through one winter but it was really pretty tame. Lake-effect, at least last winter, was almost always on the eastern side of the lake.

Summer has been awesome, and there have only been a couple humid days. It is far less humid than DC or something.

Ya, you only think the weather in chicago is that bad if you are from california. The weather in NYC, DC, etc isn't much different

This is just not true. The one time I was in Chicago in January was a special kind of frozen hellish experience, the likes of which I've never had in New York, and definitely not in DC. Boston might come close

So, you spent one day in chicago and made a definitive statement about it? Worst winter I've ever been through was in the dc area. Weeks of single digit degree weather and windy as hell.

As my first 12 month cycle in Chi comes to a close, I would have to say Summer (all of June was pouring rain and t-storms a couple of times per week; the clear days were humid) has been worse than Winter. I never found it egregiously windy, and long stretches of cold aren't that bothersome if you expect it and are prepared.

That said, July has been spectacular.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:17 pm

ahduth wrote:
Hmm, what and where is that? I thought everything down there was that... neo-gothic type stuff (I really know nothing about architecture, so apologies if that is a non-existent or meaningless term).

It is the law school. :lol:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Having spent two years in Chicago, I'm totally on board with Renzo's assessment. Yes, winters blow in NYC too, but Chicago nonetheless stands out. I'd definitely consider its winter a special brand of frozen hell.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:47 pm

I'll admit that it doesn't take into account wind chill, which might very well be a large part of why Chicago winters are hellish, but historical data suggests Chicago really isn't that much colder than NYC, and that NYC gets more precipitation to boot. If someone wants to do/find the wind speed analysis that'd probably settle the argument.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:50 pm

dailygrind wrote:I'll admit that it doesn't take into account wind chill, which might very well be a large part of why Chicago winters are hellish, but historical data suggests Chicago really isn't that much colder than NYC. If someone wants to do/find the wind speed analysis that'd probably settle the argument.

I really think it's the damn wind that makes the crucial difference.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:53 pm

dresden doll wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I'll admit that it doesn't take into account wind chill, which might very well be a large part of why Chicago winters are hellish, but historical data suggests Chicago really isn't that much colder than NYC. If someone wants to do/find the wind speed analysis that'd probably settle the argument.

The wind made all the difference for the week I was there. No matter how bundled up I got, the wind would just cut through you like, "fuck your coat--your coat can't save you from me."

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:04 pm

::shrug::

Chicago is only 1 MPH windier, on average, than NYC. Windy City is believed to be a derisive nickname from way back in the day which implied that Chicagoans were braggarts (somewhat like being full of hot air, I guess). There's some conjecture that the wind is more significant in Chicago because of the many skyscrapers, but that's not a problem unique to Chicago. I mean, there are definitely days in NYC when I'm wearing 15 layers and the wind still cuts me like a knife.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Renzo wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

The wind made all the difference for the week I was there. No matter how bundled up I got, the wind would just cut through you like, "fuck your coat--your coat can't save you from me."

Fine... I'm not going to lie and claim Chicago winters aren't pretty weak, compared with wintering in somewhere like LA or say, Costa Rica. None of this should play into your decision to attend U of C, however, as it's one of the best law schools in the country.

And for Renzo, dresden doll, and others, I have a recommendation. Buy a scarf. Makes a world of difference.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:06 pm

ahduth wrote:Fine... I'm not going to lie and claim Chicago winters aren't pretty weak, compared with wintering in somewhere like LA or say, Costa Rica. None of this should play into your decision to attend U of C, however, as it's one of the best law schools in the country.

And for Renzo, dresden doll, and others, I have a recommendation. Buy a scarf. Makes a world of difference.

Why, that never crossed my mind. How sad that I don't happen to own 4 scarfs.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I hate to disagree with DD, who has lived here longer than I have, but I have to agree with DailyGrind. There were only four times all winter where I was outside and found myself thinking, "HOLY SH!T THIS MUST BE WHY THEY CALL IT THE WINDY CITY!" I counted. Aside from a few blustery days, the breeziness was well within reason.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ahduth wrote:Fine... I'm not going to lie and claim Chicago winters aren't pretty weak, compared with wintering in somewhere like LA or say, Costa Rica. None of this should play into your decision to attend U of C, however, as it's one of the best law schools in the country.

Why, that never crossed my mind. How sad that I don't happen to own 4 scarfs.

Yeah, I was just being a dick for no good reason. Although to be honest I didn't figure out the scarf thing until I'd lived here well over twenty years. And I still wear sneakers in the winter.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:I hate to disagree with DD, who has lived here longer than I have, but I have to agree with DailyGrind. There were only four times all winter where I was outside and found myself thinking, "HOLY SH!T THIS MUST BE WHY THEY CALL IT THE WINDY CITY!" I counted. Aside from a few blustery days, the breeziness was well within reason.

And LTK and I live in the windiest part of the city. There are lake breezes and they don't go very far inland.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:15 pm

You can tell people who lived in the area for their entire lives because they don't really dress that well for the cold. Just a big coat, maybe a hat when it gets below 20.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You can tell people who lived in the area for their entire lives because they don't really dress that well for the cold. Just a big coat, maybe a hat when it gets below 20.

People do tell me that Chicago has really good food.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:34 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You can tell people who lived in the area for their entire lives because they don't really dress that well for the cold. Just a big coat, maybe a hat when it gets below 20.

Shhh. We like our metropolis nice, quiet, and hidden right in the middle of fly over country. Who's ever heard of Alinea anyways? No reason to stop here.

edit: typo.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:50 pm

dailygrind wrote:

It has good variety if you are willing to travel to immigrant neighborhoods. And it's got great middle class food. I dunno about high class fine dinning because I don't have the palate for it.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 pm

You're making me quote GQ twice in two pages. "The Parka Pierogi. Ingredients: Blown-out Nikes; torn cargoes; favorite novelty T-shirt; Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks hoodie—all wrapped up in a totally nondescript parka." THAT'S DRESSING FOR THE WINTER, Y'ALL.

No. The winters are that bad. I'm from a suburb of one of the other two cities banging about as being as an equivalent to Chicago weatherwise, but I've lived my entire adult life (and I'm not K-JD) in Chicago. One winter may not break you. The first, or second, winter I spent in Chicago, I came back from winter break to a balmy 60+ degree day. And, yes, I will admit that some of those who grew up in Chicago are a different kind of tough. Some of those who grew up in Chicago are also the biggest wimps about the cold. If you do live on the lake, it's about 5 degrees colder, not even factoring in the windchill, than somewhere more inland, like the law school. The duration of the winter is really what kills you, though. Even if you do happen to fall in love with Chicago summers, you won't get it until July, and it will be gone by the end of August.

As for the comment that you shouldn't make a decision on law school based on the weather, it's true. (The primary reason because Chicago's peers are not in California or anywhere else where the winter will be considerably more pleasant.) For one thing, there's little to distract you from studying; you won't want to do your little day trip to Pilsen when you can't feel your fingers. And it's hard to imagine you'll be that distracted by the attractiveness of your classmates when they're all in Parka Pierogi. But if you are thinking that you want to end up in Chicago to practice, you should at least acknowledge that, if you are a person for whom having habitable weather is important, Chicago winters may knock you on your ass more than you're used to, and it's not going to get significantly better the longer you're there. But as much as I knock it, I do love this place. I will have to say, though, that it's all despite of the weather, not because of it.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

You're making me quote GQ twice in two pages. "The Parka Pierogi. Ingredients: Blown-out Nikes; torn cargoes; favorite novelty T-shirt; Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks hoodie—all wrapped up in a totally nondescript parka." THAT'S DRESSING FOR THE WINTER, Y'ALL.

No. The winters are that bad. I'm from a suburb of one of the other two cities banging about as being as an equivalent to Chicago weatherwise, but I've lived my entire adult life (and I'm not K-JD) in Chicago. One winter may not break you. The first, or second, winter I spent in Chicago, I came back from winter break to a balmy 60+ degree day. And, yes, I will admit that some of those who grew up in Chicago are a different kind of tough. Some of those who grew up in Chicago are also the biggest wimps about the cold. If you do live on the lake, it's about 5 degrees colder, not even factoring in the windchill, than somewhere more inland, like the law school. The duration of the winter is really what kills you, though. Even if you do happen to fall in love with Chicago summers, you won't get it until July, and it will be gone by the end of August.

As for the comment that you shouldn't make a decision on law school based on the weather, it's true. (The primary reason because Chicago's peers are not in California or anywhere else where the winter will be considerably more pleasant.) For one thing, there's little to distract you from studying; you won't want to do your little day trip to Pilsen when you can't feel your fingers. And it's hard to imagine you'll be that distracted by the attractiveness of your classmates when they're all in Parka Pierogi. But if you are thinking that you want to end up in Chicago to practice, you should at least acknowledge that, if you are a person for whom having habitable weather is important, Chicago winters may knock you on your ass more than you're used to, and it's not going to get significantly better the longer you're there. But as much as I knock it, I do love this place. I will have to say, though, that it's all despite of the weather, not because of it.

Screw GQ. Find me this condo in NYC or LA for 350: --LinkRemoved--

I suppose I've lived through these winters for years at this point. And perhaps you don't want to live in SOLO - fair enough. But the weather is a fairly weak reason to pass on Chicago, for any career or move.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:15 pm

:shock: That picture just struck terror into my heart. I grew up in Miami and UChi's one of my top choices, is the weather a factor something I should strongly consider? To those of you from the midwest, do transplants from sunnier parts of the country go insane during these winters, or do they adjust?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:
TTH wrote:Because of its RIGOR!

Or because they're butthurt over not getting into H.

You mean Y. Those that are bitter about H wind up at CLS.

Exactly. I have a couple friends (and know others) who turned down HLS for equal money. However, when you mention Yale people just stare off into the distance in reflection, sigh with regret, and say things like "Can you imagine what it'd be like to go there, how amazing things would be if you got in?!"

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:

:shock: That picture just struck terror into my heart. I grew up in Miami and UChi's one of my top choices, is the weather a factor something I should strongly consider? To those of you from the midwest, do transplants from sunnier parts of the country go insane during these winters, or do they adjust?

That was one day out of the entire winter, and the whole city was officially shut down except for emergency services. Everyone got to stay home and get some exercise digging their sidewalks out. This picture is of the assclowns who were dumb enough to be driving on LSD when the storm hit.

But yeah, Chicago has beaches, but it ain't Miami. You'll live, although personally I'd probably go insane living in Hyde Park. But that wouldn't be because of the weather.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:21 pm

I would go to UChi not for law but rather to become a major player in the committee on social thought. I've heard though that it's losing it's Straussian edge. What a shame.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:

Grew up in so fla as well. Went to Michigan's ASW over spring break in march. It was rough going from wearing shorts and sandals for over a month to getting snow for all three days. It is just something you take for granted living down south. Simple stuff like being able to walk outside in whatever you are wearing year round or seeing the sun everyday. I definitely don't think you should choose a school for the weather, job prospects and debt are more important. That being said weather can have a real effect on your happiness (as a psych major I saw a lot of research on weather and happiness) and I think it is definitely something to factor heavily into your decision once job prospects and debt are constant.

shastaca

Postby shastaca » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:47 am

300 miles of wind coming from central Canada hits the southern end of Lake Michigan and heads straight down the midway. The law school sits on the midway. Walking across the midway after dark, which it always is when law students head home in winter, is seriously bracing. Ice frequently formed on my beard before I got back to the dorms.

Return to “Law School FAQ”