Why does UChi have such a "serious" reputation?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ignoramus

Why does UChi have such a "serious" reputation?

Postby ignoramus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:11 am

Ok I tried searching and didn't find anything regarding this.

I know a lot of people say that reputation is largely unfounded, but I'm wondering how it garnered this reputation in the first place? Obviously it is one of the top-ranked schools in the nation, but so are Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia? Why is Chicago regarded as the most serious? And I believe it's not just the law school, but the college as a whole that has this reputation, so... why is it known as the place where "fun goes to die"? I am just curious, as UChi is otherwise one of my top choices.

lawgod

Re: Why does UChi have such a "serious" reputation?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 am

Because they only accept students who are socially awkward.

scat_cat

Postby scat_cat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 am

Mainly because of the undergrads. The law students aren't more serious (or more socially awkward, on average) than students at other schools.

But also because we don't use the word "fair," there's no internet in the classrooms, the quarter system makes you work more consistently, we still have grades, we still have majority grade-on law review, there are no book prizes, there are fewer awards than other top schools (but there are for the first-year writing class, which is graded), we don't get school credit for externships and you can't do as many clinic credits as at other schools, and Chicago's winter is sobering.

Rigor!

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 am

scat_cat wrote:Mainly because of the undergrads. The law students aren't more serious (or more socially awkward, on average) than students at other schools.

But also because we don't use the word "fair," there's no internet in the classrooms, the quarter system makes you work more consistently, we still have grades, we still have majority grade-on law review, there are no book prizes, there are fewer awards than other top schools (but there are for the first-year writing class, which is graded), we don't get school credit for externships and you can't do as many clinic credits as at other schools, and Chicago's winter is sobering.

Rigor!

Aww this made me lol.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:27 am

scat_cat wrote:Mainly because of the undergrads.

Motto for undergrads at Chicago = "Where fun goes to die"

Can't speak to the law school, but Scat seems to have covered it...and made it sound o so unappealing.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 am

scat_cat wrote:Mainly because of the undergrads. The law students aren't more serious (or more socially awkward, on average) than students at other schools.

Rigor!

+1 imo. UChi law students seemed damned cool (least the ones I met), and not socially awkward at all. Now some UChi ugrad people i know...lol.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 am

Law school is srs bsns.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Because of its RIGOR!

Or because they're butthurt over not getting into H.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:03 pm

TTH wrote:Because of its RIGOR!

You mean Y. Those that are bitter about H wind up at CLS.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Yale's students are just as socially awkward and overly serious, but it doesn't get crap because it's the top school in the nation.

Also, what would make UChicago one of your top choices if you're put off by its reputation?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:48 am

When I was looking at undergrad schools, I drove around for 90 minutes looking for parking near UChi and couldn't find it. I suppose that means I didn't satisfy their very first admissions requirement... :roll:

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:56 am

eleven and a half month winters. You think you know what a miserable winter is, and then you meet lake-effect snow.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:eleven and a half month winters. You think you know what a miserable winter is, and then you meet lake-effect snow.

Wimp and liar. Chicago winters blow, but the summers are amazing.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:eleven and a half month winters. You think you know what a miserable winter is, and then you meet lake-effect snow.

Wimp and liar. Chicago winters blow, but the summers are amazing.

Uncredited 11.5-month winters to this - http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/ ... a#slide=37

Chicago summers are amazing like going to the proctologist is amazing. The humidity infiltrates every particle of your life, but 'cooling off' at the 'beach' (especially in Hyde Park) involves swimming in actual sewage from all of those too-hip grad student parents who think that diapers are an ecological disaster akin to forming a chain of plastic six-pack rings around the whole planet. And never, ever, ever go to Taste of Chicago unless you have a thing for the unwashed masses invading your personal space while eating turkey legs. Oh my god, the nightmares you will have about those turkey legs.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 am

dresden doll wrote:
TTH wrote:Because of its RIGOR!

You mean Y. Those that are bitter about H wind up at CLS.

Truth.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:42 am

Came to post something about rigor, but I'm already too late.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:27 pm

The cold modernist architecture sets a "serious" tone.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:32 pm

I've only been through one winter but it was really pretty tame. Lake-effect, at least last winter, was almost always on the eastern side of the lake.

Summer has been awesome, and there have only been a couple humid days. It is far less humid than DC or something.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:The cold modernist architecture sets a "serious" tone.

Where exactly is there "cold modernist architecture" at U of C?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:49 pm

ahduth wrote:

I think he's talking about this:
and this:
I know it isn't to everyone's taste, but I love our building.

(photo credit to Dany)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Emma. wrote:

I've only been through one winter but it was really pretty tame. Lake-effect, at least last winter, was almost always on the eastern side of the lake.

Summer has been awesome, and there have only been a couple humid days. It is far less humid than DC or something.

Ya, you only think the weather in chicago is that bad if you are from california. The weather in NYC, DC, etc isn't much different

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Ya, you only think the weather in chicago is that bad if you are from california. The weather in NYC, DC, etc isn't much different

This is just not true. The one time I was in Chicago in January was a special kind of frozen hellish experience, the likes of which I've never had in New York, and definitely not in DC. Boston might come close

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Emma. wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I think he's talking about this:
and this:
I know it isn't to everyone's taste, but I love our building.

(photo credit to Dany)

Hmm, what and where is that? I thought everything down there was that... neo-gothic type stuff (I really know nothing about architecture, so apologies if that is a non-existent or meaningless term).

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Renzo wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

This is just not true. The one time I was in Chicago in January was a special kind of frozen hellish experience, the likes of which I've never had in New York, and definitely not in DC. Boston might come close

So, you spent one day in chicago and made a definitive statement about it? Worst winter I've ever been through was in the dc area. Weeks of single digit degree weather and windy as hell.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Renzo wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

I don't know about DC, but Chicago winters are only marginally worse than NYC winters. The wind might be a bit worse, but there's about the same amount of snow, and the downsides of living in a city during the winter (driving or walking through black-colored slime) are basically the same. I only lived in NYC for a few years, but you'll generally get the same crap out there as you do here.

Return to “Law School FAQ”