Why not make law school admissions requirements harder?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Re: Why not make law school admissions requirements harder?

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also, I agree that TTT's are more practical, if by practical you mean they teach the bar for three years because their students are waterheads who can't learn it in two months like everyone else.

Even the top schools are making moves to make their respective curricula more practical nowadays. Classes like Nation Building: International Human Rights in Transitional Societies, Law & Econ Development: India, and Uncensored Hist of Int'l Law (which are all real) sound like bullshit undergrad political science classes and don't have any business in a law school curriculum imo.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 pm

chimp wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Also, I agree that TTT's are more practical, if by practical you mean they teach the bar for three years because their students are waterheads who can't learn it in two months like everyone else.

Even the top schools are making moves to make their respective curricula more practical nowadays. Classes like Nation Building: International Human Rights in Transitional Societies, Law & Econ Development: India, and Uncensored Hist of Int'l Law (which are all real) sound like bullshit undergrad political science classes and don't have any business in a law school curriculum imo.

I think actually practical things like practicums, clinics, and externship credit are great. But I don't see much evidence that TTT's do much of it.

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chimp wrote:

I think actually practical things like practicums, clinics, and externship credit are great. But I don't see much evidence that TTT's do much of it.

I agree for the most part, but I think it really depends on how you define the term TTT and which "TTT" you are referring to. I feel like most clinics, externships, and practicums are very impractical at just about every law school, but more so at top schools. How is a Guantanamo Defense Clinic going to give me valuable experience that I can bring to my first job? Law schools have been making changes across the board, but who knows whether or not this will make any difference?

Return to “Law School FAQ”