Dual degree JD and M.A. in history or political science?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RonPaulConservative

Dual degree JD and M.A. in history or political science?

Postby RonPaulConservative » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 am

Was up with that idea? Is it a logical idea, does it give one the oppurtunity to market the dual degree a lilttle bit? The main reason i want to get an additional masters degree along with the law degree is mostly for perspective. Does doing this give one more of an upper hand in getting a job as a professor college or law school? Any and all thoughts let me know, im bored tonight and feeling curious.

Veyron

Re: Dual degree JD and M.A. in history or political science?

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:18 am

RonPaulConservative wrote:Was up with that idea? Is it a logical idea, does it give one the oppurtunity to market the dual degree a lilttle bit? The main reason i want to get an additional masters degree along with the law degree is mostly for perspective. Does doing this give one more of an upper hand in getting a job as a professor college or law school? Any and all thoughts let me know, im bored tonight and feeling curious.

JD/PHD gives a bit of an edge if you want to be a professor, JD/MA is a waste of money. I would expect a fan of Ron Paul to be more prudent with his funds.

RonPaulConservative

Postby RonPaulConservative » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 am

Good call, im planning on getting substantial amounts of money going into law school and have no undergrad debt; i have leverage to satisfy some intellectual interests, so money wont have to be figured into the equation if all plays out well. I get what your saying though the PhD would look better but is also 8 years combined. The JD/M.A. would only be 4 years. ON top of that if the thesis was written well enough it could pave the way into a PhD program. UPENN has a JD/PhD in American legal history. That would be boss as hell, George Washington i know has that program but its a JD/M.A. in American legal history-any leverage with this idea? Basically i'm an idealist who romanticises education and perspective and wouldn't mind studying a supplementary field. I will Graduate with a double major in History and Philosophy so have a good understanding of the courses that i would take in a masters program. Anyways who knows what will happen just seemed like a dope idea when i came up with it and thought this would be the place to discuss it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 am

RonPaulConservative wrote:Good call, im planning on getting substantial amounts of money going into law school and have no undergrad debt; i have leverage to satisfy some intellectual interests, so money wont have to be figured into the equation if all plays out well. I get what your saying though the PhD would look better but is also 8 years combined. The JD/M.A. would only be 4 years. ON top of that if the thesis was written well enough it could pave the way into a PhD program. UPENN has a JD/PhD in American legal history. That would be boss as hell, George Washington i know has that program but its a JD/M.A. in American legal history-any leverage with this idea? Basically i'm an idealist who romanticises education and perspective and wouldn't mind studying a supplementary field. I will Graduate with a double major in History and Philosophy so have a good understanding of the courses that i would take in a masters program. Anyways who knows what will happen just seemed like a dope idea when i came up with it and thought this would be the place to discuss it.

Even with no ug debt, you're looking at more than 25k in yearly payments if you do the JD/MA at full price AND doing a JD/MA will make it more difficult to find a law firm job - romanticise that. If you do a JD/PHD in American legal history at Penn, the school will essentially relieve you of your law school loans. Other schools may have similar programs.

RonPaulConservative

Postby RonPaulConservative » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 am

That sounds really tight, thanks for the advice, it is well regarded. How does the M.A. take away from your chances at getting a job at a law firm? Over qualify you? Would this same logic apply to government agencies in particular DA's office and other local entities?

ps your keeping my night remotely interesting, bored wasting away, waiting to leave for DC soon.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 am

^

No problem. From what I understand, it just shows a lack of dedication to law. A 4 year program will also throw you off the cycle for summer associate positions. Conversely, I can't think of a single job on the planet that you could get with a JD/MA that you couldn't get with a JD.

Of course a PHD will fuck you over for firm jobs even more extremely but in that case, its pretty much a given that you're gunning for academia.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 pm

An MA is not an additional qualification on top of a JD for a legal job. Don't let that be your mindset. I can see why you might think it's true, but that's not the way the world works. It will not empress the overwhelming majority of employers.

KJG

Postby KJG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 pm

I currently hold an MA in history. My major field is crossdressing soldiers in the civil war. I find it a fascinating and complicated subject worthy of study. It is probably the most useless degree in the world. If you really want to do something with history then go for the PhD. If you earn an MA in history it actually makes you a worse candidate for a PhD. There are several reasons why if you are really interested.
I profited from my MA because it enriched my mind and made me a lot sharper, but I would say that it is not a realistic degree. With an MA the most you can hope for is teaching introductory courses or working at a community college with a laughable salary. If you have a passion for legal history then go for it, but I've found legal history and the law to be very different things. I had a passion for history. I pursued it. I burned out because I wanted a job. If you decide to go for it then do it only because you sincerely want to do it and don't care about the cost.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

RonPaulConservative wrote:Good call, im planning on getting substantial amounts of money going into law school and have no undergrad debt; i have leverage to satisfy some intellectual interests, so money wont have to be figured into the equation if all plays out well. I get what your saying though the PhD would look better but is also 8 years combined. The JD/M.A. would only be 4 years. ON top of that if the thesis was written well enough it could pave the way into a PhD program. UPENN has a JD/PhD in American legal history. That would be boss as hell, George Washington i know has that program but its a JD/M.A. in American legal history-any leverage with this idea? Basically i'm an idealist who romanticises education and perspective and wouldn't mind studying a supplementary field. I will Graduate with a double major in History and Philosophy so have a good understanding of the courses that i would take in a masters program. Anyways who knows what will happen just seemed like a dope idea when i came up with it and thought this would be the place to discuss it.

Opportunity cost dammit.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 pm

RonPaulConservative wrote:That sounds really tight, thanks for the advice, it is well regarded. How does the M.A. take away from your chances at getting a job at a law firm? Over qualify you? Would this same logic apply to government agencies in particular DA's office and other local entities?

ps your keeping my night remotely interesting, bored wasting away, waiting to leave for DC soon.

LOL @ at an MA "overqualifying you" for anything. It's really just law firms don't want to hire anyone stupid enough to get an MA.

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Veyron wrote:^

No problem. From what I understand, it just shows a lack of dedication to law. A 4 year program will also throw you off the cycle for summer associate positions. Conversely, I can't think of a single job on the planet that you could get with a JD/MA that you couldn't get with a JD.

Of course a PHD will fuck you over for firm jobs even more extremely but in that case, its pretty much a given that you're gunning for academia.

I've known folks who have pursued JD/MA's and done just fine in the job search (or better). It hasn't translated to anyone thinking that they don't have a dedication to the law when they interviewed. If anything, it just turned out to be irrelevant or just a one-line thing that was talked about.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm going to do the JD / MA thing (after OCI). For schools that allow you to count work in other departments to your law degree it isn't that bad. I'll have to take 9 additional credits beyond law school or maybe less if they let like a law an econ class count as a major. I'm a summer starter at UMich though so it isn't like I'm really putting much off since most jobs start the same time anyway and I'll probably have a 12 month lease anyway. It might not help as a credential but it might help inform research.

Rimsha42

Postby Rimsha42 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:50 am

Can you explain what is the logic behind this what is important in that

Bolta Pakistan with Nusrat Javed & Mushtaq Minhas (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by Rimsha42 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 am

rayiner wrote:
RonPaulConservative wrote:That sounds really tight, thanks for the advice, it is well regarded. How does the M.A. take away from your chances at getting a job at a law firm? Over qualify you? Would this same logic apply to government agencies in particular DA's office and other local entities?

LOL @ at an MA "overqualifying you" for anything. It's really just law firms don't want to hire anyone stupid enough to get an MA.

Agreed. An MA won't overqualify you for an entry level barista position at Starbucks.. This is a silly thread. If you are really interested and time/cost does not matter to you, get your MA in history. It will not give you an edge anywhere for anything. If you continue on to a well regarded PhD, you might be able to utilize that to market yourself in academia. But do not, for even one second, believe that the MA (or the PhD), will mean anything to a legal employer.

Return to “Law School FAQ”