What happens to people who finish below top 20% at Fordham?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Are they typically employed at all? I have heard personal stories of a few unemployed Fordham grads around top 1/3 but I don't hear any general info about job prospects for these people./

nealric

Re: What happens to people who finish below top 20% at Fordham?

Postby nealric » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 am

--ImageRemoved--

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:08 pm

they can't afford ham radio

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Look at lawschooltransparency. Over half of the Class of 2009 is making six figures. The bottom 1/3 is royally screwed if they paid sticker though.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:38 pm

midwestrocks wrote:Look at lawschooltransparency. Over half of the Class of 2009 is making six figures. The bottom 1/3 is royally screwed if they paid sticker though.

LOL if you think half of the class of 2009 was making over 6 figs. And there is no difference between someone who finished bottom 1/3 and someone who finishes top 40%. Both are going to have to fend for themselves. It's not like some shitlawyer is going to say "I'll take you because you finished 20 % points better,"

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
midwestrocks wrote:Look at lawschooltransparency. Over half of the Class of 2009 is making six figures. The bottom 1/3 is royally screwed if they paid sticker though.

LOL if you think half of the class of 2009 was making over 6 figs. And there is no difference between someone who finished bottom 1/3 and someone who finishes top 40%. Both are going to have to fend for themselves. It's not like some shitlawyer is going to say "I'll take you because you finished 20 % points better,"

You're right. At a certain point, your school's prestige can't carry you any longer and your career really depends on you own doing.

As for your question generally, read the employment statistics for the class of 2010. I thought it was surprisingly candid and might provide you with some insights.

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/21378.htm

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:02 pm

LOL if you think half of the class of 2009 was making over 6 figs.

That's not what I think. That's self-reported data collected by lawschooltransparency, not the data that law schools spew out. If you choose not to believe it that's fine by me.

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:02 pm

That's not what I think. That's self-reported data collected by lawschooltransparency, not the data that law schools spew out. If you choose not to believe it that's fine by me.

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Sorry for the double post

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm

midwestrocks wrote:

Wut? It is the data the law school spews out. All LST does is interpret that data more clearly. They ask for proof and more detailed data but only a couple schools have given it to them and fordham isn't one of them.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the biggest problem with the data that law schools give out is that they pretty much ignore anyone who doesn't report their salary and just base the medians off the people who do report it (almost always the highest earners). It says that for Fordham, 78% of 2009 graduates reported their salary, which seems like a high enough percentage to actually gather some real salary information.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:42 pm

They make a stew.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Are they typically employed at all? I have heard personal stories of a few unemployed Fordham grads around top 1/3 but I don't hear any general info about job prospects for these people./

You don't have to worry about that because you don't go to Fordham. Right?

Thread Title: Fordham Law School top 10%: Any chance at BIGLAW ITE? (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138364&p=3635280#p3635280)

Bronx Bum wrote:The title says it all.

Aqualibrium wrote: That you're another 0L/1L trying to justify sticker by assuming he'll be in the top 10%?

Bronx Bum wrote:Who the fuck said that? I wouldn't touch that shithole. I took a year off to get my LSAT up (which I did)to avoid going to that TTT. I was just wondering.

Thread Title: SUMMON: Opera Soprano or a Fordham PT student (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140545&hilit=+Bronx)

Bronx Bum wrote: Is Legal Research and Writing 5 credits or 3. I heard three but the registration site says 2 in fall and 3 in spring. FUCK.

Aqualibrium wrote:
So you are gonna end up touching "that shithole" after all.

Sorry, I just can't let this one go. It's just too funny.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:00 pm

midwestrocks wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the biggest problem with the data that law schools give out is that they pretty much ignore anyone who doesn't report their salary and just base the medians off the people who do report it (almost always the highest earners). It says that for Fordham, 78% of 2009 graduates reported their salary, which seems like a high enough percentage to actually gather some real salary information.

That is the biggest problem, it seems, but none of us really know. Certainly a lot of people suspect that some schools might downright lie about their employment situations and I don't think any of us would really be surprised by that. What makes that claim by Fordham so unbelievable is that their NLJ 250 numbers don't even come close to adding up. Their NLJ numbers for 2009 is at 29%. This would mean for the LST data to be accurate, 22% of their class would have had to find work outside of NLJ firms that paid more than 145k. It's pretty much an accepted fact that there are VERY few jobs that pay six figures outside of the NLJ firms. And 22% of fordhams class grabbing a large percentage of those prestigious and very limited opportunities is all but an impossibility. There is obviously something going on with that data that the school reported. This doesn't even take into account that a sizable chunk of the NLJ firms don't pay that much. Which means that we are accepting the premise that all 29.4% of Fordham graduates employed by NLJ firms are in NLJ firms that pay greater than 145k.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Are they typically employed at all? I have heard personal stories of a few unemployed Fordham grads around top 1/3 but I don't hear any general info about job prospects for these people./

You don't have to worry about that because you don't go to Fordham. Right?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140545&hilit=+Bronx

Sorry, I just can't let this one go. It's just too funny.
You should edit in your original pwning of OP from that thread just so people know what they're dealing with here... and also because it was one of the quickest, most succinct troll/liar takedowns I've ever seen on TLS.

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm

That's a good point and something I hadn't noticed.

But still, 29% Biglaw is fairly respectable and there are certainly some graduates who don't make Biglaw but get six figure salaries, or at least close to it. So Fordham reporting that 50% of the class is making six figures isn't entirely implausible.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 pm

midwestrocks wrote:That's a good point and something I hadn't noticed.

But still, 29% Biglaw is fairly respectable and there are certainly some graduates who don't make Biglaw but get six figure salaries, or at least close to it. So Fordham reporting that 50% of the class is making six figures isn't entirely implausible.

eh, ya it is, their class isn't that small. The number is likely, at most, around ~35%. That's certainly not terrible, but not great considering the bimodal distribution. And you have to remember that it's just as likely that some of those making that much left for business jobs that they had connections to from past lives, as it is that some of them got into extremely prestigious boutiques. Of course this is excluding the 3% who got AIII clerkships, which you have to take into account because they, almost undoubtedly, could get biglaw as well.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 pm

midwestrocks wrote:That's a good point and something I hadn't noticed.

29% is more than respectable for a school outside the top 17 in the USNWR (I won't say 18 since USC fits in that group and WUSTL doesn't).
However, the bimodal salary distribution makes it very doubtful that almost as many people as get Biglaw start at 6 figures outside of biglaw. Not plausible at all IMO.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 pm

stratocophic wrote:You should edit in your original pwning of OP from that thread just so people know what they're dealing with here... and also because it was one of the quickest, most succinct troll/liar takedowns I've ever seen on TLS.

Noted and edited. I actually feel a bit sorry for the guy. Was ashamed to go to Fordham in the first place, but went anyway praying like hell that he ended up in the top 10%; now he's apparently somewhere outside the top 20% and praying like hell that he doesn't end up jobless...Happens to the best of us :|

midwestrocks

Postby midwestrocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:36 pm

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/21378.htm

They claim that 11% of graduates work in business/industry. I'm sure most of that group is making good money, but they probably relied on connections that the average law student doesn't have.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:44 pm

midwestrocks wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/21378.htm

They claim that 11% of graduates work in business/industry. I'm sure most of that group is making good money, but they probably relied on connections that the average law student doesn't have.

Or, the classifieds. You know what jobs are in "business/industry"? Waiter, delivery driver, temp...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
midwestrocks wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/21378.htm

Or, the classifieds. You know what jobs are in "business/industry"? Waiter, delivery driver, temp...

+1

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:49 pm

chimp wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Nah, this isn't a Fordham grad. This dude just graduated bottom half at NYU. You can tell because he has shoes.

Return to “Law School FAQ”