What to wear in law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
yngblkgifted

Re: What to wear in law school?

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 am

lucield wrote:I've been grappling with this question myself, and I'm not really sure what to do...

I'm starting law school this fall, and everything I've read on the forums suggests 90% of people in law school wear "regular" clothes (i e jeans, a shirt, etc) and that most people think the idea of dressing a certain way in law school is not necessary and even somewhat ridiculous.

That's actually not a big deal to me, I do agree that law school ideally should be different from undergraduate in mentality, and perhaps this should be reflected in dress, but if one wants to dress however they feel comfortable, that's fine.

My problem is that I enjoy "dressing up" aka I like suits, ties, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, I was born in the wrong era, I should have ideally gone to UG and law school some time before the late 1960's, and I would have fit in. I actually just..... like the way suits/ties/etc look, and while to some degree part of my motivation to dress that way is definitely tied to "dressing standards" 70% of the motivation is just because I like how it looks and it makes me feel more confident. (no, I don't need clothes to feel confident, I just said "more" confident).

I don't plan to wear suits or anything in law school, but I was thinking a sports coat, tie, khahkis, and loafers - while definitely more dressy than 99% of the class, wouldn't be overdressed to the point of being completely ridiculous. I'm a pretty friendly and approachable guy, I started dressing like that in college and my friends think I'm crazy, but they all stuck around. Can I hope for a repeat in law school? For what it's worth, I think half the reason people got over it was because they saw I was self-confident enough to outlast all the jokes.

This post is ridiculous, but it's a genuine question I've been thinking about. If law school is different, that's fine, cause haters always gonna hate.

lol

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:49 am

I expect the people in law school to look something like this:

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:54 am

lucield wrote:I've been grappling with this question myself, and I'm not really sure what to do...

I'm starting law school this fall, and everything I've read on the forums suggests 90% of people in law school wear "regular" clothes (i e jeans, a shirt, etc) and that most people think the idea of dressing a certain way in law school is not necessary and even somewhat ridiculous.

That's actually not a big deal to me, I do agree that law school ideally should be different from undergraduate in mentality, and perhaps this should be reflected in dress, but if one wants to dress however they feel comfortable, that's fine.

My problem is that I enjoy "dressing up" aka I like suits, ties, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, I was born in the wrong era, I should have ideally gone to UG and law school some time before the late 1960's, and I would have fit in. I actually just..... like the way suits/ties/etc look, and while to some degree part of my motivation to dress that way is definitely tied to "dressing standards" 70% of the motivation is just because I like how it looks and it makes me feel more confident. (no, I don't need clothes to feel confident, I just said "more" confident).

I don't plan to wear suits or anything in law school, but I was thinking a sports coat, tie, khahkis, and loafers - while definitely more dressy than 99% of the class, wouldn't be overdressed to the point of being completely ridiculous. I'm a pretty friendly and approachable guy, I started dressing like that in college and my friends think I'm crazy, but they all stuck around. Can I hope for a repeat in law school? For what it's worth, I think half the reason people got over it was because they saw I was self-confident enough to outlast all the jokes.

This post is ridiculous, but it's a genuine question I've been thinking about. If law school is different, that's fine, cause haters always gonna hate.

flame?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I expect the people in law school to look something like this:

You're not far off. Just imagine the same level of douchiness, except they're all ugly and wearing clothing that most people wouldn't consider wearing to prison, let alone in public.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 am

My father told me I looked like a character from a Kerouac novel. At first I thought this should be a sign to clean up my appearance, but I take that as a compliment.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 am

In general I'll try to wear chinos and a button-down and a nice tweed jacket so people don't think I'm a complete slob. The occasional J Crew catalogue look will build up some goodwill for when I inevitably roll out of bed 10 minutes before class/don't have time to do laundry/don't feel like shaving/just want to wear a goddamn t-shirt. I oscillate between preppy and slovenly like nobody's business.

transfer?111

Postby transfer?111 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 am

to be FAIR, this is a law school website, far-be-it (now i just wanna know how to spell that fucking word/phrase) for someone to be expected to do some research!!!

God you all make me sick abusing that poor kid like this....but btw this pic was taken on the first day of class at Cooley last year

http://pileofphotos.com/pics/pic_1177651480.jpg

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 am

I was hoping everyone would wear this in law school:
--ImageRemoved--

CaptainCrunch

Postby CaptainCrunch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm

crossarmant wrote:I was hoping everyone would wear this in law school:
--ImageRemoved--

They do. Where are on earth are you going that you've missed this?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Bronte wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I expect the people in law school to look something like this:

You're not far off. Just imagine the same level of douchiness, except they're all ugly and wearing clothing that most people wouldn't consider wearing to prison, let alone in public.

Shit, well I've got some shopping to do.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 pm

In all seriousness, I do intend to dress up a bit. I've been teaching for the past few years, and as a young teacher sometimes you get mistaken for a student. Because of this, I generally go with not-so-casual business casual and I plan to continue out of habit and because I like it.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Just wear your favorite icanhascheezburger.com shirts and you'll be fine. (That's what I'm wearing right now, the one that says "Evolution of the Cat.")

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:26 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

lol

Someone needs a little self-esteem boost. Yeesh you can wear what you want-if writing a treatise on dress gives you the self-confidence you need, more power to you

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Bronte wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:Why is everyone here so quick to mock others?

I start law school in August so I don't know what everyone else will be doing, but I plan on dressing a bit better than I did in undergrad. I think it's important to look the part, and though I wouldn't define what I will be wearing as very formal (at all), I won't be wearing shorts and a T shirt to class everyday.

It'll probably be something in the realm of khaki shorts and a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Can't say I don't see people doing that in undergrad, but you get my drift.

Dressing well is a virtue. (Men don't wear shorts.) However, you'll find that most law students eschew this virtue in favor of dressing like absolute shit and talking shit behind the backs of those who go beyond the jeans and t-shirt wardrobe. As can easily be gathered from perusing this site, the average law student is obsessed with self-image and credentials but absolutely terrified of failure. Thus, they work really, really hard to project the image of nonchalance while secretly nurturing an all-encompassing drive to succeed in the eyes of others.

They do when they live in 90+ degree heat with high humidity (Mississippi). Utility trumps fashion when it comes to avoiding heat stroke or worse... armpit stains.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:They do when they live in 90+ degree heat with high humidity (Mississippi). Utility trumps fashion when it comes to avoiding heat stroke or worse... armpit stains.

Yeah I was just trolling a little bit, although it is an actually held manhood belief. I rarely wear shorts, even in the absurd heat of the summer where I am now, but it's a personal preference.

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:02 pm

There is a guy in his 70s that lives down the street from me. If the temp. gets over 80 he will be standing in his front yard wearing nothing but a speedo and he never fails to be holding a Busch beer can in his right hand. Its never officially summer until I see this.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:There is a guy in his 70s that lives down the street from me. If the temp. gets over 80 he will be standing in his front yard wearing nothing but a speedo and he never fails to be holding a Busch beer can in his right hand. Its never officially summer until I see this.

Some people just have life figured out.

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:There is a guy in his 70s that lives down the street from me. If the temp. gets over 80 he will be standing in his front yard wearing nothing but a speedo and he never fails to be holding a Busch beer can in his right hand. Its never officially summer until I see this.

Some people just have life figured out.

It appears that he does because he is also always wearing a smile.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:28 pm

that will be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( if my liver can make it to that age)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:32 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:the fuck? i'm supposed to go to class in law school?

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

I can't stand people who wear sweatpants to class. Or pajamas. Or plain, wrinkled t-shirts. Or fucking crocs.

I especially hate men with ponytails.

I plan on dressing something in the ballpark of :

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:39 pm

With the exception of about 5 people in my section of about 60 people, everyone wore jeans or shorts and a t-shirt or hoodie on most days. Some people would wear khakis once in a while and people regularly came in untucked button up shirts or polos. When the weather was nice girls would starts wearing skirts and dresses. It was always very casual and no one seemed to have a problem with it at all. Wear what you want and what makes you comfortable.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:45 pm

I can't stand people who wear anything but dress formal to class.

I especially hate women with buzzcuts.

I plan on dressing something in the ballpark of :

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Personally, I see no reason to wear jeans unless you are doing work or a t-shirt unless you are going to the gym but people will always ask why I wear button downs and khakis / chinos. It is a personal thing but I'm not going to pretend I'm about to go work a construction job when I'm not. I used to have to dress that way all the time for work and like looking nice now. If you don't like dressing nice you will fit right in though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 pm

i wear jeans at work- and steel toed boots. Im pretty comfortable in them, so ill probably wear them at school

plus- those boots are a source of motivation for me.. I dont want to go back to that job.

Return to “Law School FAQ”