What to wear in law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kaiser

Re: What to wear in law school?

Postby kaiser » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rayiner wrote:
perry24 wrote:Hi,

So I am starting law school this September and I was wondering whether law students dress differently than they did back in undergrad? For example, is it OK if I wear a hat during class like I did back in undergrad? Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

People in law school dress like grown ups. That means no athletic gear and no hats. But you don't have to dress up. Jeans, sneakers, and a polo or button down is a common look. I rarely see people in sweatpants except during finals, but this might be a "Northwestern is full of olds" thing.

Yeah, I rarely see people in sweatpants at UChi, and I don't think I've ever seen someone in pajamas at the law school. You don't want to be the tool with elbow patches every day, but the bar is also slightly higher than in undergrad.

Also, I don't think anybody here wears a baseball cap as part of their all-day every-day attire like in undergrad, which is good because it makes you look shitty.

I wear a baseball cap to class pretty often, depending on when big games are happening (i.e. operning day, beginning of playoffs, game against big rival). I also wear a cap when my hair is just messy long and I'm too lazy to get haircut. Couldn't care less what the douches around me think. Not like I wear it to work. Sure, its def the college student look, but school is school. I'll start dressing professionally when I'm a professional. Not like that is something you have to rev up for or get warmed up for.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:15 pm

--ImageRemoved--

this'll do

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 am

You wear a top hat, stockings, and a sports bra.

What else would you wear?

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 am

At my undergrad, I wear nike shorts and sorority shirts to class daily - everyone does. Obviously, this is not going to fly in law school, and I definitely plan on wearing regular clothes. BUT let's say I'm going to go to the gym right after classes - would it be frowned upon to wear my workout clothes during class a day or two out of the week? Would anyone really care? Would professors care?

I'm honestly glad you asked this question - I was talking to someone about this the other day. I think that my view of normal class wear is really skewed, because here I often can't tell if I'm government or at a Sigep day party.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 am

kaiser wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
rayiner wrote:
perry24 wrote:Hi,

So I am starting law school this September and I was wondering whether law students dress differently than they did back in undergrad? For example, is it OK if I wear a hat during class like I did back in undergrad? Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

People in law school dress like grown ups. That means no athletic gear and no hats. But you don't have to dress up. Jeans, sneakers, and a polo or button down is a common look. I rarely see people in sweatpants except during finals, but this might be a "Northwestern is full of olds" thing.

Yeah, I rarely see people in sweatpants at UChi, and I don't think I've ever seen someone in pajamas at the law school. You don't want to be the tool with elbow patches every day, but the bar is also slightly higher than in undergrad.

Also, I don't think anybody here wears a baseball cap as part of their all-day every-day attire like in undergrad, which is good because it makes you look shitty.

I wear a baseball cap to class pretty often, depending on when big games are happening (i.e. operning day, beginning of playoffs, game against big rival). I also wear a cap when my hair is just messy long and I'm too lazy to get haircut. Couldn't care less what the douches around me think. Not like I wear it to work. Sure, its def the college student look, but school is school. I'll start dressing professionally when I'm a professional. Not like that is something you have to rev up for or get warmed up for.

This. I wear a baseball hat often, and don't really give a shit if people don't like it. There was one time where a (very old) professor mentioned in class that he preferred if men didn't wear hats, so I don't wear it to that one. In all honesty though, law school sucks enough as it is. I want to be comfortable, so I'm going to wear whatever I want. And anyone who judges someone b/c they wear a hat to class is a fucking tool anyway. Lighten up. While you're busy wasting time getting dressed every morning, I'm busy dominating the curve.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 am

hookem12 wrote:At my undergrad, I wear nike shorts and sorority shirts to class daily - everyone does. Obviously, this is not going to fly in law school, and I definitely plan on wearing regular clothes. BUT let's say I'm going to go to the gym right after classes - would it be frowned upon to wear my workout clothes during class a day or two out of the week? Would anyone really care? Would professors care?

I'm honestly glad you asked this question - I was talking to someone about this the other day. I think that my view of normal class wear is really skewed, because here I often can't tell if I'm government or at a Sigep day party.

why don't you just keep them in your locker. i generally bring a backpack to work with training shoes, shorts and a t-shirt.

i think wearing workout clothes would be okay if it was a late class - and honestly the quality of the clothes. at my gym one guy has taped up sneakers - he's prob really poor/cheap, but there would be a big difference between wearing a ripped t-shirt and ripped black dirt sneakers and wearing a clean t-shirt and clean shoes.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 01, 2012 12:06 pm

seen multiple people wearing gym clothes to go to the gym after class, no one cares.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 pm

FlanAl wrote:seen multiple people wearing gym clothes to go to the gym after class, no one cares.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same. Why would anyone care if you are wearing gym clothes to class? Again, this is school. Its no different than college. No one gives the slightest crap what you wear. If your professor has a specific preference (i.e. he asks that no one wear hats), then go with that. But other than that, absolutely no one gives half a shit what you wear to class.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm bothered by the fact that grown adults need 6 pages to tell them what to wear to school.

Wear whatever you want. No one will care.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 7:30 pm

If you're not dressing like this everyday for law school, then you should just drop out.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm bothered by the fact that grown adults need 6 pages to tell them what to wear to school.

Wear whatever you want. No one will care whatever makes you look like an adult who is aware of his surroundings, namely a professional training environment.

Imagine a partner from a top firm or a federal judge strolling around campus and casually introducing himself or herself to students...just informally, casually meeting people, not "interviews". Now imagine that you are not allowed to dress up in a suit or any other formal businesswear. What would you like to be wearing so that you could still make a lasting impression?

That's how you should strive to dress every day for law school.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 pm

PDaddy wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'm bothered by the fact that grown adults need 6 pages to tell them what to wear to school.

Wear whatever you want. No one will care whatever makes you look like an adult who is aware of his surroundings, namely a professional training environment.

Imagine a partner from a top firm or a federal judge strolling around campus and casually introducing himself or herself to students...just informally, casually meeting people, not "interviews". Now imagine that you are not allowed to dress up in a suit or any other formal businesswear. What would you like to be wearing so that you could still make a lasting impression?

Take a chill pill bro. Not every day is a hob-nob knob job meet and greet.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

PDaddy wrote:

Imagine terrorists come and take over the school. What then, huh?

If you don't have these motherfuckers, you're toast, dude.

I mean, as long as we are imagining totally useless, random shit that will never happen.

KellyFan2000

Postby KellyFan2000 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Imagine C. Thomas Howell is touring your law school and you have an opportunity to meet him and tell him how much you liked "Soul Man." What would you want to be wearing? Wear that.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 pm

In UG, I wore flannel Pj bottoms or basketball shorts most days. Next year, I plan on making the transition to mostly denim jeans. Still gonna be reppin Ts and hoodies.

IMO Comfort >>> Business casual

Ery day. Ery day.

PDaddy wrote:That's how you should strive to dress every day for law school.

LOL, no. Like someone else said, while you are striving to dress for approval, I'll be killing the curve.

Bgibbs

Postby Bgibbs » Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 am

If you're not dressed like Craig Sager you're doing it wrong.

Dinho

Postby Dinho » Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Nova wrote:In UG, I wore flannel Pj bottoms or basketball shorts most days. Next year, I plan on making the transition to mostly denim jeans. Still gonna be reppin Ts and hoodies.

Ery day. Ery day.

LOL, no. Like someone else said, while you are striving to dress for approval, I'll be killing the curve.

I don't know what kind of UG you went to or how difficult it is for you to dress yourself, but I can assure you there is no striving involved in putting on a real pair of pants and a shirt with a collar.

This thread is hilarious.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Nova wrote:In UG, I wore flannel Pj bottoms or basketball shorts most days. Next year, I plan on making the transition to mostly denim jeans. Still gonna be reppin Ts and hoodies.

Ery day. Ery day.

I fucking hate people who wear flannel PJ bottoms out of the house. Unless you're getting the newspaper from your porch/driveway get the fuck back inside and put pants on. Basketball shorts or even sweatpants (not joe boxer elastic ankle sweatpants, etc.) once in a while is fine. But seriously wearing flannel PJ bottoms is prob. one of the scummiest things on earth. I bet you complete the outfit by wearing a wifebeater in the warm months.

thewaterlanding

Postby thewaterlanding » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Wear whatever you want. No one will care.

Amen.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Mike12188 wrote:

Ery day. Ery day.

I fucking hate people who wear flannel PJ bottoms out of the house. Unless you're getting the newspaper from your porch/driveway get the fuck back inside and put pants on. Basketball shorts or even sweatpants (not joe boxer elastic ankle sweatpants, etc.) once in a while is fine. But seriously wearing flannel PJ bottoms is prob. one of the scummiest things on earth. I bet you complete the outfit by wearing a wifebeater in the warm months.

U mad. Well I fucking hate people who hate people based on what they wear and not who they are. Get over your judgemental ass. People dance to the beat of their own drum. Dont get so worked up.

Dinho wrote:I don't know what kind of UG you went to or how difficult it is for you to dress yourself, but I can assure you there is no striving involved in putting on a real pair of pants and a shirt with a collar.

This thread is hilarious.

Flagship state school. I agree that putting on pants and a dress shirt =/= difficult. I was commenting on the fact that I dont believe striving to wear "acceptable" clothes (according to PDaddy or any one elses definition) every day to school is necessary. I think dressing a certain way for others approval is insecure.

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Having been in the real world for the last seven years in a professional job, I would never think of wearing pajamas or sweats to law school. I'll probably dress similarly to what I wore to work and what I wore to work on casual Fridays. Personally, I would be completely embarrassed to wear sweats or pajamas to law school, and it has nothing to do with striving for others' approval.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

PDaddy wrote:

This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this site.

OP, dress however you want - no one cares. This thread is useless.
Last edited by wildhaggis on Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusAurelius

Postby MarcusAurelius » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Having been in the real world for the last seven years in a professional job, I would never think of wearing pajamas or sweats to law school. I'll probably dress similarly to what I wore to work and what I wore to work on casual Fridays. Personally, I would be completely embarrassed to wear sweats or pajamas to law school, and it has nothing to do with striving for others' approval.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Having been in the real world for the last seven years in a professional job, I would never think of wearing pajamas or sweats to law school. I'll probably dress similarly to what I wore to work and what I wore to work on casual Fridays. Personally, I would be completely embarrassed to wear sweats or pajamas to law school, and it has nothing to do with striving for others' approval.
Having been in the real world for even longer, I plan on wearing whatever the fuck I feel like to class. It might be running tights, it might be jeans and a hoody, it might be a sundress.

There will be plenty of time to dress business casual and business formal later, when I am required to.

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:

Hey "bro," someone asked a question and I gave my opinion, as did everyone else. WTF is wrong with you, bro?

Return to “Law School FAQ”