How to better prepare for next cycle?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aclaw55

How to better prepare for next cycle?

Postby aclaw55 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Now that I decided against attending STU in Miami (a TTTT) I just received an opportunity to work as entry level paralegal for Weitz & Luxenberg in NYC. I know I am going to have to re-take my LSAT for the Oct or Dec exam, but last time around I was only working part-time and didn't have to pay my student loans back yet so how would I manage to study for this last re-take while working full-time? I am thinking it is probably better to get my foot in the door and large firm before time, as opposed to having started this fall and later come out with a JD from a TTTT (Out of state). Any advice on how to become better candidate for Fall 2012 admission would be appreciated, thank you for the advice you've all been a big help.

ran12

Re: How to better prepare for next cycle?

Postby ran12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:38 pm

aclaw55 wrote:Now that I decided against attending STU in Miami (a TTTT) I just received an opportunity to work as entry level paralegal for Weitz & Luxenberg in NYC. I know I am going to have to re-take my LSAT for the Oct or Dec exam, but last time around I was only working part-time and didn't have to pay my student loans back yet so how would I manage to study for this last re-take while working full-time? I am thinking it is probably better to get my foot in the door and large firm before time, as opposed to having started this fall and later come out with a JD from a TTTT (Out of state). Any advice on how to become better candidate for Fall 2012 admission would be appreciated, thank you for the advice you've all been a big help.

The best option might be to work 2 years and apply for 2013 instead. That way you'll have paid off more debt and the WE could be a positive soft esp if one of the lawyers you work for went to a school you're applying to and gives you a good rec. Considering you were going to go to STU, I'm assuming you did really poorly on the LSAT. The time left before the Oct or Dec combined with being a paralegal is not sufficient for you to be ready for the LSAT and get 160+. June or Oct 2012 might be better options esp considering you're starting in a new work environment.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:55 pm

a lot of people work full-time and/or go to school full-time when they are studying for the LSAT. You just have to prioritize and make sacrifices. Good luck and congrats on the job!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

sarahlawg wrote:a lot of people work full-time and/or go to school full-time when they are studying for the LSAT. You just have to prioritize and make sacrifices. Good luck and congrats on the job!

+1. It's not that hard. Just make a schedule and stick to it. For me, I came home from work, ate dinner, and studied from 7-9p every weekday night. On weekends, I would take a test on Saturday, review it on Sunday. It still left plenty of time for social obligations and work. I then took a week vacation 2 weeks before the test and took 5 exams that week. It's hard to stress how much that week of pure dedication helped and I think the timing was perfect. Not saying this is the only way to do it, but it worked well for me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm

i work full time and study 15 hrs per week. It's not that hard. If you're ready in October, take it, but if not, waiting until next cycle is a good idea.

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:31 pm

As was stated, forming a schedule and sticking to it is really the crucial aspect here. One or two solid hours a day will really add up, especially if you're talking about over a 3+ month timeframe.

renee88

Postby renee88 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:31 am

The number of hours you spend studying isn't as important as the quality of the studying- the resources you use and the number of practice tests you take and learn from. I took the LSAT for the first time while going to school full time; the second time, I was going to school full time and working at two part-time jobs. My score went up 8 points. What helped me was a schedule, like others have said- I penciled in when I'd be studying and did it consistently each week. I also used much better books. Instead of going through them, I'll just tell you to look up lsatblog.blogspot.com- because that has everything on it that I used (look under book recommendations and schedules). It's a big help. Good luck!

Return to “Law School FAQ”