Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Verity wrote:If everyone had that attitude then it would take 50 years, if ever.

I do agree though that aside from some lofty revolutionary ideals, there is little incentive.

The attitude comes from the fact that there is little current incentive. And unless a greater incentive for change comes, yes, it will take 50 years, or longer.


Yeah...

...in this thread, it seems. Especially from someone who, if I recall, is at Harvard? I can't thoroughly gauge popular sentiment in this regard, but it seems to me that there are a lot of TTTers with over 150K in UG and LS debt who would like a change. I acknowledged that there doesn't seem to be such a revolutionary attitude, but I don't think it would necessarily take so long.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Verity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Verity wrote:If everyone had that attitude then it would take 50 years, if ever.

I do agree though that aside from some lofty revolutionary ideals, there is little incentive.

The attitude comes from the fact that there is little current incentive. And unless a greater incentive for change comes, yes, it will take 50 years, or longer.


Yeah...

...in this thread, it seems. Especially from someone who, if I recall, is at Harvard? I can't thoroughly gauge popular sentiment in this regard, but it seems to me that there are a lot of TTTers with over 150K in UG and LS debt who would like a change. I acknowledged that there doesn't seem to be such a revolutionary attitude, but I don't think it would necessarily take so long.

What the fuck, dude? This has nothing to do with where I am personally, and I agree that change could be good. I'm not saying I don't want it, I'm just saying there's no demand for it in the place where it matters. There's a big difference between those two things.

We just went through the worst legal hiring market in a generation, there were layoffs massive enough to hit the New York Times and the nightly news, and we still have 40,000 people matriculating to law schools this fall. There are a lot of folks who would like change, but until that supply of new JDs slows down, the system has no reason to reform itself.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Verity, you are missing the point, no one in a place to effect change has the incentive to do so. It's not that no one at all would benefit from change.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Verity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Verity wrote:If everyone had that attitude then it would take 50 years, if ever.

I do agree though that aside from some lofty revolutionary ideals, there is little incentive.

The attitude comes from the fact that there is little current incentive. And unless a greater incentive for change comes, yes, it will take 50 years, or longer.


Yeah...

...in this thread, it seems. Especially from someone who, if I recall, is at Harvard? I can't thoroughly gauge popular sentiment in this regard, but it seems to me that there are a lot of TTTers with over 150K in UG and LS debt who would like a change. I acknowledged that there doesn't seem to be such a revolutionary attitude, but I don't think it would necessarily take so long.

What the fuck, dude? This has nothing to do with where I am personally, and I agree that change could be good. I'm not saying I don't want it, I'm just saying there's no demand for it in the place where it matters. There's a big difference between those two things.

We just went through the worst legal hiring market in a generation, there were layoffs massive enough to hit the New York Times and the nightly news, and we still have 40,000 people matriculating to law schools this fall. There are a lot of folks who would like change, but until that supply of new JDs slows down, the system has no reason to reform itself.


Of course it doesn't! Because law firms along with law schools know that TTTers don't know any better, and that kids in the T1 have become complacent with the current system because they'll do better than anyone else, even though most of them have to mortgage their futures. I could have gone to a T6 probably, but I took a full ride and stipend at a T1. Why? Because this whole system got out of fucking hand. OP's "solution" probably would yield a similar situation to the current, but I agree with his overall sentiment. But drones keep saying "oh, the law firms have no incentive, so let's just go with it," and a whole lot of people end up with trouble.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Verity wrote:I could have gone to a T6 probably, but I took a full ride and stipend at a T1. Why? Because this whole system got out of fucking hand.


lololololol

I'm pretty sure you chose the full ride plus stipend due to rational self interest and not because of some lofty idea that the "system got out of fucking hand."

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:I could have gone to a T6 probably, but I took a full ride and stipend at a T1. Why? Because this whole system got out of fucking hand.


lololololol

I'm pretty sure you chose the full ride plus stipend due to rational self interest and not because of some lofty idea that the "system got out of fucking hand."


I'm sure I've also greatly reduced my chances at a whole number of jobs that come easier to kids in the T14.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:I could have gone to a T6 probably, but I took a full ride and stipend at a T1. Why? Because this whole system got out of fucking hand.


lololololol

I'm pretty sure you chose the full ride plus stipend due to rational self interest and not because of some lofty idea that the "system got out of fucking hand."


I'm sure I've also greatly reduced my chances at a whole number of jobs that come easier to kids in the T14.

So, you seriously want us to believe it was because you are taking a stand for the grater good and not because your expected value calculation led you to that decision?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:I could have gone to a T6 probably, but I took a full ride and stipend at a T1. Why? Because this whole system got out of fucking hand.


lololololol

I'm pretty sure you chose the full ride plus stipend due to rational self interest and not because of some lofty idea that the "system got out of fucking hand."


I'm sure I've also greatly reduced my chances at a whole number of jobs that come easier to kids in the T14.

So, you seriously want us to believe it was because you are taking a stand for the grater good and not because your expected value calculation led you to that decision?


First, as I just mentioned, my "expected value calculation" leaves out very lucrative opportunities. Second, just because some of my perceived rational self-interest coincides with this other ideal doesn't invalidate the latter.

Would I go to a TTT to "take a stand?" Maybe, if I had no other options and it was totally free, or dirt cheap. That's my whole point. LS debt creates such a burden for a lot of people. I won't contribute to this bullshit if I have a choice.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:So, you seriously want us to believe it was because you are taking a stand for the grater good and not because your expected value calculation led you to that decision?


Look dude, I could have totally possibly maybe have gone to NYU at sticker (I was on the waitlist in June but my numbers were a basic shoe in so I know I was going to eventually be given an offer) but I withdrew from the waitlist because I didn't want to prop up the evil economic Juris Doctorate empire. I realized that the secret to kneecapping this godforsaken abortion of a pyramid scheme was to destroy it from the inside while devilishly taking money from them in the form of a full ride plus stipend at a tier one law school. They won't even know what hit them.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Verity wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:
lololololol

I'm pretty sure you chose the full ride plus stipend due to rational self interest and not because of some lofty idea that the "system got out of fucking hand."


I'm sure I've also greatly reduced my chances at a whole number of jobs that come easier to kids in the T14.

So, you seriously want us to believe it was because you are taking a stand for the grater good and not because your expected value calculation led you to that decision?


First, as I just mentioned, my "expected value calculation" leaves out very lucrative opportunities. Second, just because some of my perceived rational self-interest coincides with this other ideal doesn't invalidate the latter.

Would I go to a TTT to "take a stand?" Maybe, if I had no other options and it was totally free, or dirt cheap. That's my whole point. LS debt creates such a burden for a lot of people. I won't contribute to this bullshit if I have a choice.

you didn't answer the question

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:02 pm

bk1 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So, you seriously want us to believe it was because you are taking a stand for the grater good and not because your expected value calculation led you to that decision?


Look dude, I could have totally possibly maybe have gone to NYU at sticker (I was on the waitlist in June but my numbers were a basic shoe in so I know I was going to eventually be given an offer) but I withdrew from the waitlist because I didn't want to prop up the evil economic Juris Doctorate empire. I realized that the secret to kneecapping this godforsaken abortion of a pyramid scheme was to destroy it from the inside while devilishly taking money from them in the form of a full ride plus stipend at a tier one law school. They won't even know what hit them.


Cute, but totally exaggerated. Do you think it's fair that tuition in general has outpaced inflation nearly fivefold? Now TLS is the spot for cynicism, but I didn't expect such ease at rolling over and taking it up the ass financially. I mean, you almost make it seem like you'd be a pussy to not suck it up and take out a quarter mil in loans, just to affix a T6 imprimatur on your resume.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:you didn't answer the question


Read between the lines.

JKill01
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby JKill01 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 pm

"Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!"

This has been done...

Image

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Verity wrote:Cute, but totally exaggerated. Do you think it's fair that tuition in general has outpaced inflation nearly fivefold? Now TLS is the spot for cynicism, but I didn't expect such ease at rolling over and taking it up the ass financially. I mean, you almost make it seem like you'd be a pussy to not suck it up and take out a quarter mil in loans, just to affix a T6 imprimatur on your resume.


You are without a doubt one of the densest/dumbest motherfuckers I have ever met (or not met, depending on how you want to look at it).

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:Cute, but totally exaggerated. Do you think it's fair that tuition in general has outpaced inflation nearly fivefold? Now TLS is the spot for cynicism, but I didn't expect such ease at rolling over and taking it up the ass financially. I mean, you almost make it seem like you'd be a pussy to not suck it up and take out a quarter mil in loans, just to affix a T6 imprimatur on your resume.


You are without a doubt one of the densest/dumbest motherfuckers I have ever met (or not met, depending on how you want to look at it).


Denial, anger....can we just skip to acceptance?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Verity wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:you didn't answer the question


Read between the lines.

Intentional vagueness is for the weak.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

This forum has gone downhill.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

By the way, I think there's some overconfidence in the fact that LLBs would be worthless. Who's to say that if the ABA changed the way they looked at LLBs, that a lot of UG schools wouldn't offer them, and a lot of people wouldn't take them? I mean really, if the ABA and lots of people approve of it, over some period I think they'd be viewed on par with a JD. I personally know a good number of kids who went straight from high school to a foreign medical school, and got an MD in 6 years instead of eight, for a fraction of the price. They come back, take the test, and start their residency just like American MDs. Everywhere in the world, people can start law and medical studies right after high school. It's not a bad idea. If it can prove cheaper, then I don't see what the trouble is and why law firms would be opposed.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I didnt read most of the BS you wrote, and I didnt read any of the other posts in this thread, but it seems to me that UG and the LSAT are good ways to make sure fucktards dont become lawyers.

Also, idk why you make a "Logic/IQ test" sound like a bad thing.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 pm

bport hopeful wrote:it seems to me that UG and the LSAT are good ways to make sure fucktards dont become lawyers.


They're not doing a very good job at it right now.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby beachbum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Yeah, I enjoy watching a good car crash.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:Cute, but totally exaggerated. Do you think it's fair that tuition in general has outpaced inflation nearly fivefold? Now TLS is the spot for cynicism, but I didn't expect such ease at rolling over and taking it up the ass financially. I mean, you almost make it seem like you'd be a pussy to not suck it up and take out a quarter mil in loans, just to affix a T6 imprimatur on your resume.


You are without a doubt one of the densest/dumbest motherfuckers I have ever met (or not met, depending on how you want to look at it).

Lolzz at Verity

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I didnt read most of the BS you wrote, and I didnt read any of the other posts in this thread, but it seems to me that UG and the LSAT are good ways to make sure fucktards dont become lawyers.

Also, idk why you make a "Logic/IQ test" sound like a bad thing.


Yeah, which is why the rest of the world produces "fucktard" lawyers and ours are the shining elite, right?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Verity wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I didnt read most of the BS you wrote, and I didnt read any of the other posts in this thread, but it seems to me that UG and the LSAT are good ways to make sure fucktards dont become lawyers.

Also, idk why you make a "Logic/IQ test" sound like a bad thing.


Yeah, which is why the rest of the world produces "fucktard" lawyers and ours are the shining elite, right?

Yerp

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Also, if you have a 176 LSAT, what are you bitching about. The game benefitted you. Shut up please.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest