Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CaveatLector

New

Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Post by CaveatLector » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 am

deleted post
Last edited by CaveatLector on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

schooner

Bronze

Re: Become American Lawyer Without JD or LSAT!!!

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 am

hirschas wrote:Well, I want to hear everyone's thoughts on American high school graduates leaving US shores to enroll in LLB programs at foreign universities (common or civil law jurisdictions) and then coming back to the US, doing an LLM (WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKING THE F%*CKING LSAT), taking the BAR, and becoming US lawyers, all within 5 sweet and time productive years. I want to hear your opinions and knowledge on the whole notion, from quality of education to job placement to American high school graduates having the huevos to go abroad to the technicalities of the process. I ask because (1) it is a topic worth discussion and (2) I want to be able to provide good advice to the younger generation. Maybe if we get enough aspiring US lawyers abandoning the JD, US universities will be forced to reintroduce the LLB and future lawyers can be saved three years of suffering, loans, the LSAT etc.

[Please, no childish name calling or slandering crap, just intelligent discussion for this thread]
I think that's an excessively large risk to take. As a practical financial matter, you can't take out federal loans to attend schools outside the US. Plus it's not like you can just waltz into any of the foreign law schools. Also, do you have any definitive info on which (if any) state bars admit foreign LLMs? Law school isn't like med school, with a system in place for foreign schools to take on American students who couldn't get into any US school and for foreign doctors to get easily licensed in their state.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Cool story bro.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm

You try it and let me know how it works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Sounds like someone sucks at the LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Enjoy Vermont.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Sounds like someone sucks at the LSAT.
This. There is no way the OP was written by someone who pwned the LSATs.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

If you really want to try an obtuse and ridiculous idea to circumvent the fact you suck at the LSAT just go to CA, VT, VA, or WA and take the bar after studying under a judge/lawyer, skipping law school altogether. At least you'll save money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

kwais wrote:
This. There is no way the OP was written by someone who pwned the LSATs.
Or by someone who is a native speaker of english.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm

schooner wrote:
I think that's an excessively large risk to take. As a practical financial matter, you can't take out federal loans to attend schools outside the US. Plus it's not like you can just waltz into any of the foreign law schools. Also, do you have any definitive info on which (if any) state bars admit foreign LLMs? Law school isn't like med school, with a system in place for foreign schools to take on American students who couldn't get into any US school and for foreign doctors to get easily licensed in their state.
You are correct on all but one point... you can take out federal loans to go outside of the US. All kinds of schools all over the world are recognized by the US Dept of Ed.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:59 pm

hirschas wrote:[Please, no childish name calling or slandering crap, just intelligent discussion for this thread]
lol

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:16 pm

There are schools in the US that don't require LSAT - Mass School of Law for example. You don't have to take the LSAT or leave the country. And you can take out federal loans to attend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm

firemed wrote:
schooner wrote:
You are correct on all but one point... you can take out federal loans to go outside of the US. All kinds of schools all over the world are recognized by the US Dept of Ed.
What do you know, you are right. I had always heard "school must be accredited in the U.S." for financial aid and only just checked.

By the way, what reputable schools of law in Singapore and England will accept American kids with only a high school diploma? I think that's the first real hurdle here, if you're going to seriously entertain his proposal.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 pm

schooner wrote:
What do you know, you are right. I had always heard "school must be accredited in the U.S." for financial aid and only just checked.

By the way, what reputable schools of law in Singapore and England will accept American kids with only a high school diploma? I think that's the first real hurdle here, if you're going to seriously entertain his proposal.
I just looked up a school that said you have to complete a couple APs to be eligible.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:52 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
schooner wrote:

I just looked up a school that said you have to complete a couple APs to be eligible.
Me too: King's College in London. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergr ... quirements

That seems pretty incredible, that you could get into a law school anywhere with just a few APs (and/or the SAT/ACT) under your belt. If anyone accomplishes (or has accomplished) what the OP proposes, I'd love to hear it!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:53 pm

It's actually 3 years. The LLB takes 3 and you don't need to do an LLM to take the NY Bar if you graduate from a few certain schools in the UK (plus maybe a few others, not sure).

That's not saying you'll actually get a job afterward (guess who knows all about that?).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 pm

U mad bro?

mabad

New

Post by mabad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Hmm..i'm going to weight in with what i know.. I have a LL.B from a civil law jurisdiction and from what i've heard from people from my school (best law school here) who have done the LL.B+LL.M (top-20 schools) only about 5-10% land an associate job in the US (and mainly because they got help from somebody they knew or from the law firms they worked at before the LL.M --> this means all of them had legal work experience prior to the LL.M). Having that said, I know this may not work the same for U.S. natives but overall it does help for pinpointing that US law firms do not think highly of the LL.M when it comes to hiring. I mean, people are having a hard time landing a job even with a J.D., and with the surplus of graduating lawyers pretty much in every state, I just wouldn't take the chance of not landing my dream job.

In my very own case, i'm starting 1L this year. In this competitive market a LL.M is not enough anymore, not even in civil law jurisdictions.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm

mabad wrote:Hmm..i'm going to weight in with what i know.. I have a LL.B from a civil law jurisdiction and from what i've heard from people from my school (best law school here) who have done the LL.B+LL.M (top-20 schools) only about 5-10% land an associate job in the US (and mainly because they got help from somebody they knew or from the law firms they worked at before the LL.M --> this means all of them had legal work experience prior to the LL.M). Having that said, I know this may not work the same for U.S. natives but overall it does help for pinpointing that US law firms do not think highly of the LL.M when it comes to hiring. I mean, people are having a hard time landing a job even with a J.D., and with the surplus of graduating lawyers pretty much in every state, I just wouldn't take the chance of not landing my dream job.

In my very own case, i'm starting 1L this year. In this competitive market a LL.M is not enough anymore, not even in civil law jurisdictions.
Amen. I am an American with an LLB and nobody would give me the time of day until they heard about my acceptance to a JD program. A girl who graduated with me and who went on to get an LLM (also American and took the bar) is now working one non-legal job and a bunch of volunteer jobs (also non-law).
Last edited by piccolittle on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm

too long, Image

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 pm

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Also, people seem to be freaking out over Americans being able to get into "law school" without taking the LSAT. The LLB is a bachelor's degree, as in undergrad. In the English system, you choose a subject and take only that subject all three years (at most unis). It is basically just going to college and majoring in Law, which then leads you to the legal career track if you so choose.

The Training Contract/Pupillage system (the "apprenticeship" referenced in the OP) is different from ours in that you basically have to get a job before you can become a solicitor or barrister. Therefore, the UK has a glut of unemployed law grads, not unemployed lawyers. I think it's just different, and tbh I much prefer the structure they give you here in your job search. At my school in the UK, they pretty much left you alone and at the end of 3 years it was like "No job? Huh, that's so weird! Better luck next time!". Then again, you had just finished undergrad so it wasn't as though you had wasted lots of time for a degree you couldn't use; LLB graduates do a lot of different stuff.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

I think it's a clever idea, but I don't know how employers respond to LLM's

though tbh, 3 years of law school + 4 years of UG is WAAAAY too much resources to be spent on attorneys. The law is not so complex that we need 7 years of higher education. We have people taking 5 years to get BA's in communications, I don't think OP's idea is ridiculous when you look at compared to that sort of thing.

... And I'm not even including the "gap year(s)" that people spin as relevant work experience
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 pm

hirschas wrote:doing an LLM (WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKING THE F%*CKING LSAT)
lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”